Good Practice

namedpipes

NES Member
I'm in southwest New Hampshire, in the heart of the worst hit area in this storm. We got around 3', trees and lines down everywhere.

We have a generator, but it doesn't cover the whole house. I'm not "badly" prepared in terms of supplies on hand, but I should have more water, more fuel, a better generator setup, more "primitive living" appliances, etc.

Anybody else learn a lesson or two in this mess?

With the amount of snow you have I would think that water would not be a problem. Bucket of snow will melt quickly inside.
Not without heat. I did melt some coffee water in a pot over a candle, to see if it would work (it did, and surprisingly quickly) but we have enough bottled water for the emergency, just not enough for comfort.

I need a wood stove, or maybe an outdoor wood furnace, as a quaternary heat source. We're ok, just not cozy.

I broiled a couple of steaks while on Genny on Tuesday, it's all on what you're set up for. I would definitely have at least a wood stove

Not without heat. I did melt some coffee water in a pot over a candle, to see if it would work (it did, and surprisingly quickly) but we have enough bottled water for the emergency, just not enough for comfort.

I need a wood stove, or maybe an outdoor wood furnace, as a quaternary heat source. We're ok, just not cozy.

Pm Sent

I broiled a couple of steaks while on Genny on Tuesday, it's all on what you're set up for. I would definitely have at least a wood stove
Electric range. My Genny would cry. Although it would (obviously) run the controls on a propane stove, so we'll see.

I have to have the chimney inspected before I'll risk connecting a wood stove. We have oil fired warm air, heat pumps and a pellet stove, but they all use electricity.

Electric range. My Genny would cry. Although it would (obviously) run the controls on a propane stove, so we'll see.

I have to have the chimney inspected before I'll risk connecting a wood stove. We have oil fired warm air, heat pumps and a pellet stove, but they all use electricity.
If you have one, a propane grill or even a charcoal one can take care of almost all of your cooking/water boiling needs. I have a neighbor who used to put his grill away off his porch each fall and after losing power a bunch last year he kept it out this year.

this is why i never considered a pellet stove and stuck with wood. What good is a wood fired stove that needs electricity to run? Also I cant imagine living without a generator interlock nowadays

Two suggestions I've seen in other groups passing along here. a) go camping for a long weekend i.e. being totally self-sufficient for 3 days will give a good and "real world" experience of what any potential deficiencies may be, b) turn off the breaker to your home for a long weekend; same thought process as camping.

I recommend at least a 6500 watt generator. that'll run the furnace, wood stove, lights, tv and a single burner on an electric stove.

I'm in southwest New Hampshire, in the heart of the worst hit area in this storm. We got around 3', trees and lines down everywhere.

We have a generator, but it doesn't cover the whole house. I'm not "badly" prepared in terms of supplies on hand, but I should have more water, more fuel, a better generator setup, more "primitive living" appliances, etc.

Anybody else learn a lesson or two in this mess?
I'm in the same area and just now getting back on line after a few days without power.

My generator runs the well pump, heat, kitchen refrigerator, and some lights/outlets in the living room.

We made a few meals (leftover mostly) in the microwave that was powered in the living room and got take home food a few times.

I thought about getting the propane grill out to do some cooking, but in the end it was just easier to drive to town for Chinese.

We only ran the heat during the day and shut the generator down (and secured it inside) at night.

I only used about 1/4 of my on hand fuel over three days. It's good to cycle through it.

No real issues, but I am more aware of our reliance on rechargeable items; smart phones, pager, iPad, computer, etc.

Most of our "hard lessons" were learned during the ice storm of '08 where we were without power for eleven days.

We didn't have to abandon the house then, but we are much more comfortable now.

Back
Top Bottom