• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good all around knife for around $100?

So i received and lost my folder the same day.. i just found it..i was pretty pissed.im glad i found it
20170115_023122.jpg

Attachments

• 20170115_023146.jpg
    20170115_023146.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 73
A Bark River Bravo 1.5 first came to mind but, you need to wait to find a deal on them to get one close to what you want to spend. All Bark River knives are convex ground so, you shouldn't sharpen them on a stone. Fine grit wetsand paper over a mouse pad or piece of leather is how you sharpen them.
I could be mistaken but, I think I got my Bravo 1.5 in A2 tool steel for ~the $100 mark but, I stumbled on some leftovers.

My next suggestion, from owning one, would be a Battle Horse. Very well made @ fairly reasonable price. Many models to choose from.

Lastly - and this would get you a decent, very usable blade while you save up for something more fancy - Old Hickory Butcher knife - $10. full tang, 1095 steel. You could buy a couple to have a backup and put $80 in the piggy bank.

After a bunch of research I ended up liking full tang high carbon steel as the blade metal @ a hefty thickness (bark river is almost a full .25" thick).

With carbon steel, you do have to protect it but, it's no more complicated than sliding on a little olive oil after use. Also, it's not a good idea to store them in their sheaths. If you do, keep them well oiled or with a light coat of any kind of grease (crisco works). Just be sure to clean it well before sharpening/stropping to not clog up the sharpening media.

-d

ETA: After reading your desire for more of an EDC knife for now, I'd suggest a CRKT minimalist. Fixed blade, full tang, very comfy with blade length ~2" and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I hemmed and hawed and still haven't decided but I ordered a RAT 2 in black with black blade for my buddy. His birthday is in less than a week so I needed to just order something now. I really think he will prefer the smaller RAT 2 over the 1.

The more I look at the ESEE folders the more I'm not sure I like the handles. That's why I played it safe with the RAT 2 for my buddy. Unfortunately no D2 steel in the RAT 2 yet but I think he will still like it a lot, nothing wrong with AUS-8.

I asked him the other day what his EDC knife was and he said "A beat up POS from a pawn shop purchased a million years ago". If he still likes his old EDC better the RAT 2 will be a great tackle box or glove box knife. A good gift no matter what I figure.

I'll let you know how he likes it.

I am amazed no one has suggested the Gerber LMF 2. This is an amazing knife. I have processed dear and firewood with it. It has a glass breaker, hammer, built in sharpener and lashing point to make a spear. It has a 4.7 out of 5 star review on amazon with over 1,100 reviews. It is about 75.00 Dollars.

LMF-3.jpg

Last edited:
I've been carrying my Nimravus since around... 1997? Not sure when they came out, but I was an early adopter. Early full-kydex sheath, no MOLLE in sight.

Outstanding knife.

I will look into that one too, looks good. Thanks!
I think you foun the winner..that appears to meet everyone of your criteria.
If i didnt just buy mine id probably get this one.although some gerber products these days just aren't as good as they should be.

BTW, I got the RAT II for my buddy on Friday, black handle and black blade. AUS-8 steel, no D2 available yet in the RAT II. It is pretty sweet, a really nice size for edc. Much bigger would be a little large for edc in an office environment IMHO.

For $29.25 from Amazon ($27.50 plus $1.75 CT sales tax, free shipping) it is a steal. Of course I checked it out to make sure it was good. Everything was straight and functioned smoothly and easily and was pretty sharp. Solid lockup with easy one hand operation for opening and closing.

I know there are more and more sellers on Amazon selling knock-off products so be careful but this was the real deal from Ontario Knife Co. Gave it to him yesterday and he was thrilled.

6140zFexZzL._SY355_.jpg

So, still mulling this over and really thinking about what I need vs what 18 year old Carl in CT would get vs what I can reasonably justify in the budget. This is a long rambling update but I am hoping this may even help others think through what they might want so forgive me.

I'm pretty much giving up on the idea of one jack-of-all-trades knife. I have always looked for that sort of thing in tools, knives, even guns at times and the result is too often something that does many things so-so but nothing well. Getting a little tired of always having to settle for that because I'm too cheap or impatient to save up to get the right tools for the job. This time I am willing to wait to get knives I will really like and do their jobs well.

So I am thinking of what I really need. The days of disappearing into the woods for days at a time and building shelters, cutting trails, etc are pretty much over for me. The occasional camping trip sure but serious wilderness exploring, prolly not. So I don't need a top of the line bushcraft knife but I'd like one that can do some decent bushcrafting like making feather sticks, shaving sticks for tinder, cutting notches, processing food, as well as general utility around the yard/barn, etc. A 6" knife like the ESEE 6 can do that stuff but is not necessary or ideal, especially if the blade is really thick. So I am looking more at 3-4" blades.

I thought the ESEE 3 or 4 would be great but the reviews say the stock scales suck for large hands, which I have. Plus I don't like the stock sheath. To upgrade to extended G10 scales and a nice leather sheath gets pricey, about $145. Out of my original budget but I may be willing to stretch a little for the right knife. This is the stock ESEE 3.

ESEE-3.png

ESEE also makes a 3 and 4 HM models which are much more traditional bushcraft knives with much better scales, no finger choil or jimping and a traditional bushcraft style leather sheath all for $100. That is a great choice but not good for batoning wood (not that I see myself doing a lot of that but a little) or other heavier tasks and it loses pretty much any tactical points that the standard ESEE 3 and 4 have (not a big deal for me). The 4 is pretty much identical but with the 4" blade instead of 3".

ESEE-3HM-2.png

So what about when I want to go a little deeper into the woods and I want something bigger that can do some chopping and other heavier tasks. ESEE and many others make big knives for that but they are expensive. I have been looking at the Becker BK9 for that for around $95. Obvious I am blowing my original budget out of the water on multiple knoves but like I said, I will wait and get these knives one at a time while I save my pennies. It's a 14.75" beast with a 9.25" blade that seems like it's half machete and half axe and can do some serious chopping, batoning and other large tasks.

BK9_16-Product-Composite-ImageUSA.png

For my eventual EDC knife I figure a RAT 1 or 2 will be great at around $30-$40. All together I would be spending around $220, about double my original budget. I can swing it I just have to be patient but I think I'd be happier in the long run.

Any who actually made it through this post have any thoughts. BTW, I have looked at the ones guys have suggested and seen some reviews on some of them. The Gerber Strongarm seems to be a really great knife for around $50 if I decide to go back to the original plan/budget.

OK, I found another contender that may have restored my hopes for an all around knife. The Tops BOB Fieldcraft knife. Around $120 and seems to do everything I want in a fieldcraft knife including some light chopping and it has some tactical ability. It's pretty sweet and I am now seriously considering it and forgetting the ESEE knives I mentioned as well as the big chopper BK9. I will still look to get an EDC though. To be continued...

OK, I got my bonus check so I can start to actually think about spending a little money and buying something soon. Still leaning towards a RAT or RATII folder for edc.

For a belt knife I am still a little worried about rust with the high carbon blades so I am looking more seriously at the stainless options such as:

The Buck Selkirk which I think I mentioned before. Decent Buck stainless steel with their Bos heat treatment, hits a lot of my check boxes. I have held it and I like the feel, plastic sheath is not bad, price on Amazon is great at $45 but made in China kinda sucks. Even if the quality is there I prefer to avoid buying Chinese stuff when I can but it's not a hard/fast rule.

Steel Will Druid series. Lots I like at a great price point and the reviews are great but again, made in China kinda sucks.

One of the Mora offerings. The Garberg seems ok as the only full tang Mora but at $80-ish it's a little pricey for what it is IMHO.

The Ontario SK-5 Blackbird. High quality stainless steel, 154 CM, very plain and utilitarian, so-so nylon sheath but very functional. Not sure about the G-10 scales, they seem kind of square but with rounded corners. Reviews done by guys with small to medium hands don't give high marks for the handle. Guys with bigger hands like it very much so maybe for me it would be good. Price is around $115. 100% USA made, even the sheath.

BTW, I did get to Cabelas and held an ESEE 4. Hated it. Handle is way too short and way too thin. Nobody has an ESEE 4hm (or 3hm) and there are only two video reviews in English that I can find online. Written reviews are overwhelmingly positive if I decide I can get over the potential rust on the high carbon blade.

Thinking of getting a large hatchet or small axe or even a tomahawk like the CRKT Woods Chogan for chopping tasks. Yes, the budget is expanding and the idea of a one tool solution is again looking unlikely. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
So i received and lost my folder the same day.. i just found it..i was pretty pissed.im glad i found it
View attachment 187902

I've had the same buck 110 folder since 1993. 24 years been through 23 years in the Army......2 combat deployments. Field dressed many deer, rabbit, squirrel, and upland bird! The leather sheath is just about due for replacement......the knife still locks up tight. They are a solid damn knife for around $40.

I got my son a 105 pathfinder fixed blade this year and he loves it.

You guys are mostly in the same climate as I am here in eastern CT. Do you feel the carbon blades are really that rust prone in our climate? I mean if I put it away clean and dry but forget to go back and oil it do I really have to worry about rust that much?

I've got a bunch of carbon blades. Carried them everywhere from Louisiana to Oklahoma to here. Never had a single issue with rust, but then I take reasonable care of my stuff and believe in buying mostly high-end knives. I do get a little rust on my Gransfors Bruk axe, though.

Carbon steel will stain, though, if you use it to cut much of anything that is or ever has been alive. If that bothers you, go stainless.

I've had the same buck 110 folder since 1993. 24 years been through 23 years in the Army......2 combat deployments. Field dressed many deer, rabbit, squirrel, and upland bird! The leather sheath is just about due for replacement......the knife still locks up tight. They are a solid damn knife for around $40.

I got my son a 105 pathfinder fixed blade this year and he loves it.

I too have a well traveled 110 in a very worn leather case. Bought it in the PX in 1987.

I'm wondering if the new ones are made in the USA?

i have a morakniv companion and a BK10, $15 and $75 dollars respectively. The mora for finer type details, and the BK10 when chopping and heavy duty cutting are needed. the mora, for $15, is an incredible value, dont let the price fool you. All for under $100

Mora's are so cheap anyone who does anything outdoorsy should get one anyways. There isn't much reason not to and you may find you use it more than any other knife (when doing outdoorsy stuff that is). I know I do. Sharp. Light. Durable. Comfortable. From slicing limes for my beer on the beach to making feather sticks in the backwoods, it's awesome.

The BK10 looks like a great knife. I wish I could get my hands on one because I'm not sure about that big thumb ramp.

I have a Mora Robust and like it a lot. I am thinking that is all I need for smaller, lighter duty tasks. I am still thinking about a small axe/large hatchet or a tomahawk for chopping. That leaves a good mid sized jack of all trades knife for when I just want to grab one blade and go, and an edc folder.

I know it's Chinese made which bugs me but the Steel Will Druid 200 is a nice looking mid sized knife in stainless steel with a great looking leather sheath. The reviews are good on it. I'd pay more for it if they made an American version.

The Ontario SK5 Blackbird is nice too. Made in USA, better stainless steel (154CM) but smaller and thinner and not as nice a sheath and the handle doesn't look as comfortable but it is G-10.

EDIT: I know the BK9 I mentioned has the same ramp but that's a chopper, don't see myself wanting to choke up on that.

Last edited:
Mora's are so cheap anyone who does anything outdoorsy should get one anyways. There isn't much reason not to and you may find you use it more than any other knife (when doing outdoorsy stuff that is). I know I do. Sharp. Light. Durable. Comfortable. From slicing limes for my beer on the beach to making feather sticks in the backwoods, it's awesome.

I threw a Mora in my go-bag but for regular outdoor/camping use I stick with ESEE 4's and for EDC I carry CRKT. The ESEE will take a serious beating and the CRKT are basically disposable: $20 for a spring knife isn't even worth sharpening, I just move on to the next.

OK, so I'm getting a little nuts but the Fallkniven A1 is starting to look good to me. I know it's around $185 but it will chop as well as handle medium jobs. I can use the Mora Robust I already have for small bushcraft/food prep tasks. I know I'm a newb but I don't see a need to get anything else for a small fixed blade knife. I can wait on the axe/tomahawk if I get the A1.

I am also looking at the Cold Steel SRK in the San Mai laminated steel. It's $50 less than the A1 and has a better sheath but I am not thrilled with the blade. It's not only shorter, which is ok, but it's thinner and narrower and has a very large ricasso which I don't get. It's not a finger choil, just a really big, flat ricasso. I dont' really get it.

Also, the tang on the SRK is covered on the back of the handle so there isn't really a usable pommel. Not that the A1 has much of a pommel either but at least the tang sticks out a tad so you could whack something with it if you needed to. I actually like the SRK and I really like the sheath. The SRK is not a chopper at all and isn't really a woods/camp knife. It's a survival knife. It does look quite cool but I think I'd feel like I settled for 2nd best over a little better sheath and $50 which isn't going to break the bank.

Blew the $100 budget, got a Fallkniven A1 today

Well, I did it. I bought a Fallkniven A1. I found one that was listed as "Used - Like new. open box, packaging may be damaged or item may be repackaged". It came today and it is brand new with one or two minor handling marks on the handle but very minor, cosmetic only and the blade is flawless. I will certainly be putting more "handling marks" on it anyway.

It came in the original box that was a little banged up and taped. So it was probably a return or something they got that they couldn't sell as new because of the box. It was $167.40 delivered, no tax. So I am thrilled.

The sheath sucks a little but that's normal for the A1, I knew that. It isn't broken or worn, it's new, just kinda cheap looking plastic but it holds the knife fine and is very slim and light. Functional but minimalist to say the least. The upside is it's care free, just like the knife.

The blade is full tang (exposed at the pommel which I like) laminated VG-10 stainless steel with a Kraton handle so about as maintenance free as it gets. It came very sharp and I will have to learn how to sharpen a convex edge (and get tools to do it).

I will use my Mora Robust for smaller tasks and eventually I will get an axe or tomahawk for chopping but this A1 can do some small chopping tasks for now. Heck, I have a cheap hatchet I use for making kindling by the wood stove. That would do for now.

This is where I got it. It's been in stock then backordered then back in stock a couple of times. Looks like it's due in stock again March 23rd (day after tomorrow). If anyone is looking for a Fallkniven A1 this is the best deal you are gonna find I think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001DZM482/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

[party]IT'S A FALLKNIVEN![party]

6 months, 87 posts... Dude, I feel like you finally gave birth to a knife.... Good choice, tho!

[wink] Just razzing you. You'll get a lot of use out of it. Don't keep it pretty.

Back
Top Bottom