Name that tune!

Well, I am old, but not that old, even if I was around in the 50's (but very young).

Sorry, but I'm just an old hard "rock and roller" that's stuck in the 70's and early 80's.

In the words of Toby Keith, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Hey, I'm even giving up my R65 for an old man's bike - an R1200C with a windscreen. What can I say? 19 years later, I just don't want to deal with the 80 MPH windblast.

Ross

Funny, I went the other way. From high bars to "euro bars". Current bike is a 2001 Buell S3T Thunderbolt w/ bags, but with the low bars.

Suggestion, don't get rid of the R65. You WILL regret it later. I've had several friends go from Airheads to Oilheads, and almost everyone regretted getting rid of the airhead, except Brian Fisk, he kept his R65LS (smart move). Trust me on this one, Ross.

Nickle said:
Suggestion, don't get rid of the R65. You WILL regret it later. I've had several friends go from Airheads to Oilheads, and almost everyone regretted getting rid of the airhead, except Brian Fisk, he kept his R65LS (smart move). Trust me on this one, Ross.

Nickle, it took me 6 years to get to this point - I first test rode the R1200 in 1999 at Rhinebeck! Seriously, it's finances at this point. Either I keep it under about 5-6K, keep the R65 and add an R80RT or R100RT to the stable (which I have considered) or sell the R65 and go for the bike I've been dreaming about for 6 years.

I'm looking at an R12 at a dealer tonight. There's a couple of RT's in MA that I may look at if I don't decide to go for the R12, but the thing is that with the RT's, the first things that have to get done are: short springs, short shocks, and a custom seat to lower it to where I'm comfortable. BMW just didn't have 29" inseams in mind when they designed the monolever airheads... or the '84 airheads, either.

Believe me, I don't really want to ditch a bike I've had for 19 years... but I do want a cruiser.

Ross

Not a problem, I'm just making sure you think it all through. Do you remember the short Italian lady with dark hair running the Tour Booth at Rheinbeck? She was riding an 83 R80Rt at the time. She's since bought an Oilhead (and regrets it). She lives just outside Albany, NY and is a dear friend. I didn't make that MOA National, almost went, though. I would've been also doing the Tour Booth.

Coming up my way for the MOA National next year?

Anyways, to get back on topic, who's turn is it (not mine, either)?

Nickle said:
Not a problem, I'm just making sure you think it all through.

Oh, believe me, I've thought it to death for 6 years. I once swore I'd turn over the odometer on the R65... but y'know? It's just not fun any more on the highway fighting the wind. And I've tried 3 different aftermarket fairings, and I didn't like ANY of them. (know anyone looking for a Parabellum Scout fairing? I'm putting it on the IBMWR marketplace today).

So for me to buy the R12, I'll have to be VERY comfortable with it, or it won't happen.

Nickle said:
Do you remember the short Italian lady with dark hair running the Tour Booth at Rheinbeck?

Didn't really do any tours at Rhinebeck; that was my first (and only) rally. I'm more of a solo rider.

Nickle said:
Coming up my way for the MOA National next year?

I don't know... I might. Depends, really. I'm trying to swing the Labor Day weekend camp trip right now... need to see about getting a new tent, though. And all the other gear, too. I still have a one burner backpacker stove, and a thermarest pad and sleeping bag, but that's about it. don't know what I'll do for water, etc. Most of my camping stuff has gone the way of the dodo... I haven't even been to Pennsic since '91.

Ross

You won't need the stove or the water. Just a tent, sleeping bag, chair (I may be able to arrange that), eating utensils and a coffee cup. We usually provide utensils for that weekend, so you really won't need them.

We're providing meals, and will have a 5 gallon water jug with Ice Water there.

Nickle said:
You won't need the stove or the water. Just a tent, sleeping bag, chair (I may be able to arrange that), eating utensils and a coffee cup. We usually provide utensils for that weekend, so you really won't need them.

We're providing meals, and will have a 5 gallon water jug with Ice Water there.

I'm assuming that there's a kitty for donations to cover munchables?

Ross

Lynne said:
As long as the don't start accusing us of being mature.

Good God - never!!! [lol][/quote]

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is not. If you don't grow up by age 35, you don't have to - I think is'as a law.

Sorry about that... it's hard to type while your hand is being licked by a cat.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Nickle said:
Not a problem, I'm just making sure you think it all through.

Oh, believe me, I've thought it to death for 6 years. I once swore I'd turn over the odometer on the R65... but y'know? It's just not fun any more on the highway fighting the wind. And I've tried 3 different aftermarket fairings, and I didn't like ANY of them.

So for me to buy the R12, I'll have to be VERY comfortable with it, or it won't happen.

Well... that was interesting. Bottom line? I'm really not sure now... think I'll look at a couple of 80's RT's before I do anything.

The bike was ok, but the windscreen was not right for me; all sorts of wind burble around my helmet. Also, the handgrips are FAT... and after about 20-25 minutes riding it, my right hand HURT. So unless I can have the slimmer, heated hand grips from the RT series installed, it ain't gonna happen. Plus... I had a hard time disengaging my left foot to change between upshifting and downshifting.

Strange... but it felt really good to get back on Canth for the ride home. (course, my back is bothering me from the blast up 495 home, but my tummy is full - found a good BBQ place in W. Bridgewater on Rt 106 on the way home - Chili Head's BBQ. And the owner is a brother, too.)

Anyway, there's an 86 R80RT in this week's Want Advertiser. Think I'll go look at it this weekend.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
I'm assuming that there's a kitty for donations to cover munchables?

Ross

Sorry, I forgot to mention before that we get $30 a head to cover the Portolet, firewood and food.

I'll need to know if you eat Pork. IF you don't, we'll fix something else for you. It won't be a problem. I've always believed in trying to reasonably accomodate people, and I'll never ask someone to violate their beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom