N.H. teenager arrested in Leominster mall for carrying loaded handgun

So many fails in this story.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.co...rested-leominster-mall-carrying#ixzz4Se9pnyDs

1. From NH and is shopping in Leominster, MA for shoes???? WTF!
2. Carrying a 9mm in his wasteband thug style.
3. Mom was also shopping with him...did she not know about the gun?
4. 17 years old.
5. No clue what a license to carry a firearm is. (Ok...almost going to give him a break since he is from a free state).
6. Gun was stolen.

I think that covers it.

WOW

The juvenile, he said, was in possession of a Ruger 9 mm semi-automatic pistol that was fully loaded.

Whoa! Not fully loaded. If he only had a few rounds in the magazine, well, maybe we'd give him a pass. But fully loaded?! That's so dangerous!

Whoa! Not fully loaded. If he only had a few rounds in the magazine, well, maybe we'd give him a pass. But fully loaded?! That's so dangerous!

To be fair, if you're shooting the Timed or Rapid fire during the National Match Course you can only load 5 rounds. Maybe he was a competitive shooter? [grin]

To be fair, if you're shooting the Timed or Rapid fire during the National Match Course you can only load 5 rounds. Maybe he was a competitive shooter? [grin]

or a member at a fudd club like Angle tree lol. 5 shots vewy vewy slowly...we're hunting wabbits

So many fails in this story.
1. From NH and is shopping in Leominster, MA for shoes???? WTF!
3. Mom was also shopping with him...did she not know about the gun?
Did they feel compelled to pay sales tax?

This will make an interesting case since under Commonwealth v. Couture, the mere carrying a gun in MA is not cause for a police stop since it cannot be assumed said carry is unlicensed. Working against the defense, however, would be the police claim the person was "obviously under 21 and therefore not licensed".

Last edited:
Why do I think he was lying about #1 and #5

Very good point.

This will make an interesting case since under Commonwealth v. Couture, the mere carrying a gun in MA is not cause for a police stop since it cannot be assumed said carry is unlicensed. Working against the defense, however, would be the police claim the person was "obviously under 21 and therefore not licensed".

Well, the simple fact that he was "brandishing" and causing a public disturbance is probably how they'd go. Remember, the cops have thousands of laws on the books to choose from with which to screw you.

Pretty sure #5 is the kid lying. Even in NH you need a license to CCW loaded (or loaded in a car). So him not claiming to know what is a license to [conceal] carry, sounds a lot like he's trying to claim innocence and wiggle his way out.

Does it qualify as a stop if they don't detain him, instead just walking up and asking if he has a license? At that point his response should take care of the rest.

Cmon man, trying to apply Couture here is a stretch, dont you think? Clerks call cops, cops ask if he has an LTC according to the linked article, and its all downhill from there.

I do think tho, that you are correct in the "obviously this kid wasnt 21" in the police reports narrative

Last edited:
Pretty sure #5 is the kid lying. Even in NH you need a license to CCW loaded (or loaded in a car). So him not claiming to know what is a license to [conceal] carry, sounds a lot like he's trying to claim innocence and wiggle his way out.

Perhaps not. In NH, anyone can own and open carry a pistol. If it was in his waist band, grip visible, and recognizable as a firearm, it meets the requirements of Open Carry as I understand them.

And before you say "He can't own a pistol at 17". Yes he can. In NH, there is no minimum age for pistol ownership. If it was a private sale or a gift, it's completely legal. He can even get a PRL under 18.

Perhaps not. In NH, anyone can own and open carry a pistol. If it was in his waist band, grip visible, and recognizable as a firearm, it meets the requirements of Open Carry as I understand them.

And before you say "He can't own a pistol at 17". Yes he can. In NH, there is no minimum age for pistol ownership. If it was a private sale or a gift, it's completely legal. He can even get a PRL under 18.

Now that would be a legit argument (obviously he will lose because hes in MA, not NH, but playing the I didnt know card may be effective) to possibly see some leniency here in MA

Now that would be a legit argument (obviously he will lose because hes in MA, not NH, but playing the I didnt know card may be effective) to possibly see some leniency here in MA

Plus "Stolen Gun" and Standard Cap Magazines probably

I know someone who got his LTC at the age of 18, he just couldn't purchase a handgun from an FFL until he was 21.

No picture of the kid, but I have seen 17 year olds that look like they're 21, and I've seen 30 year olds who look 17. How can they assume he was under 21?

Simkin? Are you privy to more info than the attached article?
I am not "privy" to anything more than the public record of other cases.

1. Commonwealth v. Couture established that the mere site of someone with a gun is NOT a reason to stop the person absent any other indication the gun is illegal. This is largely ignored by the police but may be raised in court. This could be raised as a defense by the miscreant, however, the police will counter that his obvious under 21 age is an indication he was not licensed and thus the carry could be assumed unlawful.

2. Simkin v. Commonwealth established that "Simkin is not responsible for alarm caused to others by his mere carrying of concealed weapons pursuant to a license permitting him to do exactly that". I offered this case as an explanation as to why a charge of "causing a public disturbance" or similar just because he was seen with a gun would not fly.

See

http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/407/407mass178.html

http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/466/466mass168.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom