My Yugo SKS Has Arrived

Milsurps 4 Me said:
If it were me i'd start at 50 yards and see where and how I shoot, then move on to 100 yards and compare the two targets. I shoot 10 rounds, check them off with a magic marker, then shoot 10 more if i'm shooting diferent ammo so I know which one performed better. The sight adjuster tools are easy to use and pretty cheap. Order from a company that ships fast like Midway and try and get your hands on some Golden Tiger Russian ammo. Definitely tops in my SKS rifles.
As for the target... i'd say a sight adjustment is in order, but if you plan on shooting at shorter distances most of the time, wait and see how you do there first. The 3 shots could be from two diferent ammo types so its hard to tell if its a tight 3 round group.

I got my sight adjuster tool yesterday, so I went down to the range to give my first attempt at sighting in anything a try. I took your advice and went to the 50 yd line. Like the 100 yard target, everything was to the right and slightly high, so I knew it was the rifle and not me entirely. About 20 rounds to sight it in, and then I shot a target with 10 rounds. Here's the target, I think the results weren't too bad.

sks_50yds.jpg

Looks like good shooting to me. Was that target at 50 yards or 100? If it was at 50 your shots may still go slightly right at 100. One small tweak of the adjuster will fix that. To me the SKS is one of the easiest rifles to use as far as sights and operation go. I'd say its the best deal going today when choosing a milsurp rifle.
Be careful though... next you'll want a Yugo model 59, a Romanian, a Chinese, a Russian, and if you're really ambitious an Albanian. The Russian and Albanian ones cost the most money out of those I listed and are still able to be found sometimes with the Albanian being the toughest score.

50 yards, I can only wish it was 100! Although, I did shoot a magazine at 100 to check things out. For the second time I got all 10 on paper, a big feat for me, and they were centered pretty good, but you're right -- they were a little off. The last time I owned a rifle -- about 27 years ago, when I was a teenager, I could easily pick off dime sized objects from prone with my .22 from this distance with iron sights. Now I can see how far I've slid! And at 100 yards, forget it! Do people actually do bullseye shooting with iron sights at 100 yards? I can manage to get hits somewhere on a torso sized B-24 at that distance, and could see doing it at 200 yards eventually, but to hit the 10 ring at 100 yards with iron sights seems mind bogglingly difficult! I can't wait for the CMP seminar this weekend!

tele_mark said:
50 yards, I can only wish it was 100! Although, I did shoot a magazine at 100 to check things out. For the second time I got all 10 on paper, a big feat for me, and they were centered pretty good, but you're right -- they were a little off. The last time I owned a rifle -- about 27 years ago, when I was a teenager, I could easily pick off dime sized objects from prone with my .22 from this distance with iron sights. Now I can see how far I've slid! And at 100 yards, forget it! Do people actually do bullseye shooting with iron sights at 100 yards? I can manage to get hits somewhere on a torso sized B-24 at that distance, and could see doing it at 200 yards eventually, but to hit the 10 ring at 100 yards with iron sights seems mind bogglingly difficult! I can't wait for the CMP seminar this weekend!

I haven't shot seriously at 100 yards with my SKS rifles lately. I can get an occasional 2 or 3 shots in the center ring with them though with some effort. When I used to shoot the SKS I recently sold Jay from here, I could get at least 5 shots in the center ring at 100 yards using Golden Tiger ammo with some steady concentration with that rifle. [grin] Thats a center ring of about 3 inches and a shot or two on the X. For some reason the SKS sights are very easy for me to use, along with Mauser sights. Yet peep sights like on the Enfields, M1 rifles, etc. take me a few shots to get used to every time I go to the range. I'll have to do some serious shooting next time I bring SKS rifles to the range and snap some pics of my results.
One more note, theres a company out there making rear sight scope mounts for SKS rifles. Best part is there are no permanent alterations, just remove the rear sight and instal the mount. You just need to use a long eye relief scope like a pistol scope. This method, with the exception of drilling and tapping, is the easiest way to do distance shooting with an SKS if you'r eyes aren't what they used to be with iron sights. Do a search for SKS Scout Mount and see what comes up. Just avoid any receiver cover or gas tube mounts as these parts move way too much to hold any scope to zero.

Thanks for the info Coyote. Milsurp -- thanks for the response. For some reason I missed it originally and didn't see it until Coyote's response.

I think I'm going to go with a Choate mount as this SKS is just a shooter so I'm not too concerned about having it drilled and tapped.

I was thinking about the Williams peep and firesight combo. The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they don't have an adjustment for range, but that's probably pretty esoteric compared to the benefits. Are they a big enough improvement over the stock sights to warrent the purchase? I don't find the SKS sights to be too bad either.

I'd say stick with the "stock" (pun not intended, but kept once discovered) sights for now, and when you get the inkling for something more, then you might have talked to enough people to make a more informed decision. Haste makes waste.

tele_mark said:
I think I'm going to go with a Choate mount as this SKS is just a shooter so I'm not too concerned about having it drilled and tapped.

The only Choate mount I have seen is a drill and tap model. It mounts on the side of the receiver with hex screws.
This mount- http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/sksscoutscopemnt/index.asp
allows for the use of iron sights too, plus gives you a solid no gunsmithing required set up.

I think I like the Choate system better. Mainly because it allows you to use the iron sights of the scope on the fly. It looks like the rear sight mount requires you to remove the scope before you can use the rear sight normally.

I spent last weekend on the stock. I sanded it down with fine sandpaper, and did the stock in tung oil, 4 coats, polishing it with steel wool in between. Not the greatest looking stock, but not too bad:

yugo1.jpg

My Yugo has arrived

Hi guys Mr-T and T-Mark and Cross-X well at least you gent,s have cleand off the Gunk on your Yugo,s mine arrived two months ago and i am still looking at it (yuk) but i supose i had better get of the pot and cleen it up
i have an SKS-AK-47 Fun Shoot on the 16th of this month at out club that i do every year and i could,nt wait till it came now i guese i had better get on it if i want to use it. if anyone is looking for a fun day check out our Web-
site its www.hhrg.com winner gets half the days take!

have a good Indapendance Day, Everyone Sheriff dudley

sheriff dudley said:
i have an SKS-AK-47 Fun Shoot on the 16th of this month at out club that i do every year and i could,nt wait till it came now i guese i had better get on it if i want to use it. if anyone is looking for a fun day check out our Web-
site its www.hhrg.com winner gets half the days take!

I'm hoping that I can break out the SKS and join ya on that day Al. I could use the extra money in the remodeling. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom