My Tranny is leaking

Its a 2015 model year according to the op. Might be past 6 years.
Yeah I was figuring 2015 +6 takes him to 2021. I had a Chevy Avalanche that was like 500 miles out of warranty but the dealer wrote it up under warranty. Granted it wasn’t for a transmission it was for some oil screen but I was more than happy to get it covered.

nobody pays msrp I know that

Do you need a 1 ton truck?

The way I see it:

77,000 minus the special pricing 6,000 is 71,000. Minus the $28,000 for the jeep is $49,000. Then $10k down your financing $39? Hell you could get a new Tacoma off road almost free and clear no payment for what carvana is giving you for the jeep! New off road tacos are found for $32k. They are great trucks. 110k on mine and no issues other than a $280 radiator housing in the 6 years I've had it.

Do I need a 1 ton truck? yes. I'm in the market for either a fifth wheel or a large travel trailer. Probably a sometime next year thing. All the trailers we're considering are not 1/2 ton friendly rigs, at least not legally from a gvwr/cgvwr standpoint. Even looking at payload problems with a 3/4 ton.

I like Tacomas a lot, but it won't do what I intend to do with it. The jeep getting tossed for a 1 ton truck before this tranny shit started. This just sped up the timeline.

Yeah I was figuring 2015 +6 takes him to 2021. I had a Chevy Avalanche that was like 500 miles out of warranty but the dealer wrote it up under warranty. Granted it wasn’t for a transmission it was for some oil screen but I was more than happy to get it covered.

PT warranty expired in September.

Do I need a 1 ton truck? yes. I'm in the market for either a fifth wheel or a large travel trailer. Probably a sometime next year thing. All the trailers we're considering are not 1/2 ton friendly rigs, at least not legally from a gvwr/cgvwr standpoint. Even looking at payload problems with a 3/4 ton.

I like Tacomas a lot, but it won't do what I intend to do with it. The jeep getting tossed for a 1 ton truck before this tranny shit started. This just sped up the timeline.
Makes sense if your planning to tow of course. Was just curious seeing a jeep to 1 ton trade.

I suppose. They make a living off f***ing people over. Maybe this is just karma coming back to them?
How does Carvana "f*** people over" exactly? I had a great experience with them just earlier this year.

I want to know why it is shot, just because of a small leak. Really, i would check the transmission vent. Personally learn where it is and check it.
if your not having actual mechanical problems a manual transmizsion spewing a little fluid is not the makin g of a shot transmission.
I call BS
now if your anal and cant live with a little transseapage then by all means Just Empty Every Pocket.
Learn how to check your fluid and top it off.

unless you like the deal from Carvarna and dump the pos
tranny problem or not, I'm getting rid of it for the truck....

But yeah, I'm kind of weary about it being toast if it drives completely fine.

The first guy that called this morning was like "yeah you're probably looking at replacing the transmission and that would run like 4800, BUT we can pull it and check it all out but the labor on that is gonna run you about 1500 and we could just end up finding we need to replace it...."

When I talked to the owner later he kind of gave the story in reverse and said most likely it can be pulled and re sealed but he really doesn't know what it looks like until it's opened up. He said the amount it's leaking suggests something inside is causing but he said he couldn't really speculate on it. So ultimately I was left with a choice of replace it for 4800, or let them do some exploratory surgery for 1500 which could either solve it or just open a can of worms.

None of this is worth the headache. At this point I just want it gone.

How does Carvana "f*** people over" exactly? I had a great experience with them just earlier this year.
how does any car dealer not f*** people over? It's literally the entire business model.

At the end of the day, if they can't be bothered to put vehicles on a lift before buying them then that's their problem. I'd never buy a used car without having my own mechanic put it on a lift. They obviously don't care enough to even do basic due diligence.

tranny problem or not, I'm getting rid of it for the truck....

But yeah, I'm kind of weary about it being toast if it drives completely fine.

The first guy that called this morning was like "yeah you're probably looking at replacing the transmission and that would run like 4800, BUT we can pull it and check it all out but the labor on that is gonna run you about 1500 and we could just end up finding we need to replace it...."

When I talked to the owner later he kind of gave the story in reverse and said most likely it can be pulled and re sealed but he really doesn't know what it looks like until it's opened up. He said the amount it's leaking suggests something inside is causing but he said he couldn't really speculate on it. So ultimately I was left with a choice of replace it for 4800, or let them do some exploratory surgery for 1500 which could either solve it or just open a can of worms.

None of this is worth the headache. At this point I just want it gone.
At least you have a plan,
If you still have any guilty feelings make sure your vent tube is mounted correctly and your shifter boot is not leaking.
Other than that if Carvarna cuts you check your happy with and theres no “hidden” contract issues with Caravana , let it go.
I have 3 jeeps in the parking lot “with” trans issues. 2 of which I told the customers to just keep driving it.

Are you near salt water where you are?
Any chance your transfer case to transmission bolts are not corroding.
The leak you pointed out in the pic you posted is between the transfer case and trans, if its leaking its from the output shaft seal. , if he pulled the transfer case and found something bad in there you have him RTV the mating surfaces and re install the transfer case.
The out put shaft bushing/bearing might be going causing the shaft to wobble causing the leak.
Now give us the update after Carvarna hands you a check

At least you have a plan,
If you still have any guilty feelings make sure your vent tube is mounted correctly and your shifter boot is not leaking.
Other than that if Carvarna cuts you check your happy with and theres no “hidden” contract issues with Caravana , let it go.
I have 3 jeeps in the parking lot “with” trans issues. 2 of which I told the customers to just keep driving it.

Are you near salt water where you are?
Any chance your transfer case to transmission bolts are not corroding.
The leak you pointed out in the pic you posted is between the transfer case and trans, if its leaking its from the output shaft seal. , if he pulled the transfer case and found something bad in there you have him RTV the mating surfaces and re install the transfer case.
The out put shaft bushing/bearing might be going causing the shaft to wobble causing the leak.
Now give us the update after Carvarna hands you a check

no salt water.

I know when Carvana takes the vehicle there's papers to sign, obviously, but i have no idea what they would be beyond signing over the title and a bill of sale. Anything they ask me to sign I'll be making him wait while I carefully read every single word of it. I know when they sell people a car they have a 7 day return policy....I'm not sure if they try to pull the same when they buy from a person but kind of doubt that.

My gut kind of tells me that the fix probably is as simple as resealing the mating surfaces, but I don't want to waste 1500 just in case he comes back telling me I do in fact need to replace the transmission.

no salt water.

I know when Carvana takes the vehicle there's papers to sign, obviously, but i have no idea what they would be beyond signing over the title and a bill of sale. Anything they ask me to sign I'll be making him wait while I carefully read every single word of it. I know when they sell people a car they have a 7 day return policy....I'm not sure if they try to pull the same when they buy from a person but kind of doubt that.
No idea but I dont see them blindly taking cars with just a curbside inspection with out any if ands or buts in the paper work

Carvana is not a bad way to ditch a used car. They give you a decent wholesale price for the car without the haggling of a trade in (lot of dealers start at 50% of wholesale in my experience but you can fight then to to wholesale). At that price, it's up to the dealer (or maybe Carvana) to warranty the car when they sell it at retail. It's actually a perfect option if you don't want to sell it directly to a private party and leave them with an issue.

how does any car dealer not f*** people over? It's literally the entire business model.
That's something I'd expect a Bernie voter to say.

Anyways, I don't know how they inspect trade-ins but they do go through the cars they sell pretty carefully. Your Jeep is old enough that they'll probably send it to auction instead of selling it on their site.

No idea but I dont see them blindly taking cars with just a curbside inspection with out any if ands or buts in the paper work
Dealerships do it all the time. Last car I traded in back in May on my wife's new subaru they never even opened the doors to look inside it. I'm serious. The salesman just saw wrote the vin number down lookin through the windshield. Never even started the motor. Traded in car was 6 years old with 90k on it. You'd figure they'd want to check it out a little but dealerships wholesale everything now anyway.

Carvana.....not too familiar with them are they like a big used car place?

They're huge. They sell cars online and ship them to your house. The process works surprisingly well.
Got it. I guess I'm out of touch with car sales and such. As a general rule I buy new but keep them 10 years minimum so I dont make a habit of being in the dealerships. Earliest I've ever traded in was last may got the wife a new forester when her old one was only 6 years old. 0% financing is tough to turn down.

On a side note I hope the dealerships stay using "covid protocol" even after this bullshit is gone. All the banter on price and trade value was done via email. They brought the new one for us to test drive to my house......let us take it put for half hour......when we got back he said if you like it email me.....and drove away.....bounced a few emails back and forth and 2 days later they dropped off the new one and drive away with the trade. Easiest deal I ever made.

Dealerships do it all the time. Last car I traded in back in May on my wife's new subaru they never even opened the doors to look inside it. I'm serious. The salesman just saw wrote the vin number down lookin through the windshield. Never even started the motor. Traded in car was 6 years old with 90k on it. You'd figure they'd want to check it out a little but dealerships wholesale everything now anyway.

Carvana.....not too familiar with them are they like a big used car place?
Yup delerships dont care unless they plan on reselling it themselves. My wife asked this when she traded in her van.
Salesman flat out said , we dont put anything on our lot thats 4+ years old over 75k , with the “wholesale” market for used cars being what it is we will make more money at auction plus we dont do anything but get to the auction.
When I traded in my Tundra they checked it out pretty well then they spotted the milage, off to the mill it wrnt

Rich recently said that he no longer does take outs. He was having a problem with people incorrectly installing and adjusting their transmissions, and sending them back for warranty work.
So now it is the whole vehicle or nothing.

Rich sure is a knowledgeable tech, I wish we had someone like him in the Boston area.

I know. It will have a vehicle attached. And it will probably not be one which normally has a 4L60 or a 5.3L ls.

indeed.

It's paid off. I'm selling it. it must go.

A year ago I was in for over 1K for tie rods and ball joints, now this. I like it, but it's a f***ing piece of shit. 2015 with only 47K miles on it.

Paid off, and Carvana tells me I can get $28K. so as soon as I get my MA title converted to a CA title, it's f***ing gonezo as Carvana tells me they don't like when a reg and title don't match...f***ing gay.....

Tempted to find a way to band-aid it and let it be Carvana's problem, but not sure I want to f*** over the next owner like that....

I have had several and still have a 2010 wrangler. Never an issue other than normal wear and tear and I use it regularly on the road and in the woods/mud etc. if it’s just a gasket leak there are products (Bars or Rislone) to temp hold it off.Put some in and after do a thorough under carriage wash.

I have had several and still have a 2010 wrangler. Never an issue other than normal wear and tear and I use it regularly on the road and in the woods/mud etc. if it’s just a gasket leak there are products (Bars or Rislone) to temp hold it off.Put some in and after do a thorough under carriage wash.
it's in the shop now for the second opinion. When they call with terrible news, I'll ask them if they can just just seal it up on the exterior for now.

it's in the shop now for the second opinion. When they call with terrible news, I'll ask them if they can just just seal it up on the exterior for now.

I can’t imagine anything that they can do to seal the outside of the transmission that will work and not stand out like a sore thumb.

Whatever you do keep an eye on the fluid level.

Bob

Get a load of this.

2nd shop is telling me the transmission if fine. The leak is coolant, not transmission fluid. It's running down a hose and leaking onto the transmission and then riding the seam down and dripping on the ground. I thought coolant was green but he tells me Chrysler uses organgy yellowish coolant.

He said it could be a simple hose leak or the heater core is shitting the bed but he can't tell for sure until he gets in there. I don't him not to bother I'm selling it anyway.

He said if it actually is a bad heater core it's like a 1500 job anyway as there's a lot of labor to get in there even though the part is only like $500ish.

So that first mechanic apparently either cannot tell the diff between transmission fluid and coolant or was planning to take me for 5 grand. f***in' A.

Do you know if there is dye in your AC system , depending where the condensation/evaporator drain is ?
Could be coolant also.
Need a picture

Brake fluid has a yellow look? Hydraulic slave cylinder leaking.
Gear oil is pretty thick and smells, some gear oils are bright gold looking
winner winner chicken dinner!

I was watching Carvana horror story youtubes and reading forum posts last night. They do, it seems, f*** people over on the regular.

Some guy bought a BMW with 3 known minor scuffs but he didn't care. Got the car and it had a lot more shit. wrong with it. Before signing he was told Carvana would pay for all that shit if he sent pics to this email address. he did and never got a response. He was coming up to the end of his 7 day return period and had a buddy auto body guy look at it and it had clearly been in a significant front end collision. I had a non OEM replacement headlight and some trim work replaced and none of it was on Car Fax or at least not reported by Carvana to the buyer. Carvana website clearly says they NEVER buy cars that had been in a collision.

Carvana ultimately offered the guy a grand total of $100 to fix all the shit wrong with the body.

In this case I definitely blame the customer too...He should have refused delivery and didn't. But clearly Carvana was knowingly selling a lie-mobile.

So now Carvana can fix an ACor heater core.. f*** 'em.

That's something I'd expect a Bernie voter to say.
Are you really going to sit there and defend the auto sales industry as a beacon of ethical business practices? It's arguably the least ethical industry in the country. A dealer's 4 square is literally a legal con game designed by psychologists to trick you into getting taken. So yeah, I was being literal in what I said, the entire car sales business model is based of trying to screw you. I guess I'm a Bernie Bro now and can't be a capitalist unless I defend even the sleaziest of industries.

Are you really going to sit there and defend the auto sales industry as a beacon of ethical business practices? It's arguably the least ethical industry in the country. A dealer's 4 square is literally a legal con game designed by psychologists to trick you into getting taken. So yeah, I was being literal in what I said, the entire car sales business model is based of trying to screw you. I guess I'm a Bernie Bro now and can't be a capitalist unless I defend even the sleaziest of industries.
I get my car maintenance from a local mechanic that used to work for a Chevy dealership as a mechanic then a service manager for a long time till he went on his own about 8 years ago. He's honest. He told me that the big dealership business models are less co ceened with vehicle sales profit and have moved to service for a sales driver and rely on it heavily. That's why you have dealerships now with loaner car service.....later hours and open Sundays for service. My wife's 2015 Subaru had a recall two years ago....had to take it into the dealership. We dropped it off in the morning and and were going to pick it up in the afternoon. 2 hours after we dropped it off I had an Email with a list of about 15 items that needed "immediate attention"......grand total of $4800 on the estimate. Tie rods.....boots......bearings.....exhaust heat shield loose......oil pan gasket.....you name it they said it had to be done immediately. Even had a video attached of the mechanic walking around the vehicle showing me all the problems. Car had about 55k on it at the time. I told em do nothing but the recall. These guys are f***ing crooks.

Next oil change with my guy I showed him the email and the vid ans he laughed his ass off. Thats when he told me about how the big dealers are doing things now. Indrove the car for two more years and traded it with 90k and never had a problem with it.

I get my car maintenance from a local mechanic that used to work for a Chevy dealership as a mechanic then a service manager for a long time till he went on his own about 8 years ago. He's honest. He told me that the big dealership business models are less co ceened with vehicle sales profit and have moved to service for a sales driver and rely on it heavily. That's why you have dealerships now with loaner car service.....later hours and open Sundays for service. My wife's 2015 Subaru had a recall two years ago....had to take it into the dealership. We dropped it off in the morning and and were going to pick it up in the afternoon. 2 hours after we dropped it off I had an Email with a list of about 15 items that needed "immediate attention"......grand total of $4800 on the estimate. Tie rods.....boots......bearings.....exhaust heat shield loose......oil pan gasket.....you name it they said it had to be done immediately. Even had a video attached of the mechanic walking around the vehicle showing me all the problems. Car had about 55k on it at the time. I told em do nothing but the recall. These guys are f***ing crooks.

Next oil change with my guy I showed him the email and the vid ans he laughed his ass off. Thats when he told me about how the big dealers are doing things now. Indrove the car for two more years and traded it with 90k and never had a problem with it.
Had tires put on at a local shop. Said I needed a cabin and air filter based on the oil change sticker. I said nah, I’m good. Looked at the quote late when I got home. $30 each for the filters AND $30 EACH for labor!!! WTF?

If I saw that before I left...

Paid $40 for both and installed them in less than 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Get a load of this.

2nd shop is telling me the transmission if fine. The leak is coolant, not transmission fluid. It's running down a hose and leaking onto the transmission and then riding the seam down and dripping on the ground. I thought coolant was green but he tells me Chrysler uses organgy yellowish coolant.

He said it could be a simple hose leak or the heater core is shitting the bed but he can't tell for sure until he gets in there. I don't him not to bother I'm selling it anyway.

He said if it actually is a bad heater core it's like a 1500 job anyway as there's a lot of labor to get in there even though the part is only like $500ish.

So that first mechanic apparently either cannot tell the diff between transmission fluid and coolant or was planning to take me for 5 grand. f***in' A.

Clearly one of them is wrong.

Every time I have had a bad heater core you could smell the coolant on the cabin.

If there is a coolant leak it should be low in the reservoir.

Bob

It’s almost like it was designed to break right after the warranty expires.
They know how long this junk will last and they know the cost of fixing a problem vs dealing with warranty or even recalls is far more expensive.
Let it roll we will deal with it later!

Back
Top Bottom