• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Tranny is leaking

FNA Transmission in Wakefield is excellent.
Mike sold FNA a year ago. I think it was to some sort of venture capitalist. Not sure if there has been any impact as a result or not. I could ask my brother, but since the OP is on the other side of the country, its irrelevant.
Transmission is shot.

$4800 for remanufactured installed.

He said they can pull it and open it up and try to seal it for $1467 but if they get in there and it still needs to be replaced then that obviously makes it more expensive.

Gonna get a second opinion tomorrow.
Selling it to Carvana is sounding better by the second, isnt it?

Transmission is shot.

He said they can pull it and open it up and try to seal it for $1467 but if they get in there and it still needs to be replaced then that obviously makes it more expensive.

Depending on what you get for a second opinion you should probably just eat the cost of a replacement and lesson learned and get something else asap. I've had a vehicle or two along the way that I just finally had to throw in the towel on and admit defeat and move on. Life is too short to continue to mess around with this nonsense because it's never going to end. Now back to acting like a child I love some of the words being used like just split it in half [rofl] And just shove some rtv into the crack[rofl]

I paid $31k for a Tacoma off road edition in 2015. 110k on it now only had to replace a radiator housing that leaked with it had 97k on it ($280) and just changed the oil every 5k.....and one set of brake pads at 80k. Replaced the battery myself last summer no biggie. Put a set of bf Goodrich all terrain k2 on it at 70k and those don't even show much uneven wear no cupping.......just rotate with each oil change. I'll need a set in about a year but thats good ill get 50k miles out of an off road tire.

Its been a great reliable little truck. Drives like new not even a rattle. I asked my mechanic last oil change to go through it well......check belts tie rods bearings etc. He said everything is tight and even the original belt has life in it still. I'll just keep driving it. Absolutely would buy another one if this one eventually gives me trouble but for now and what I hear about the Tacoma it will be years before I need to shop around for another one my commute is short and I only put about 10k a year on it.
but your not cool with out a jeep.

Transmission is shot.

I want to know why it is shot, just because of a small leak. Really, i would check the transmission vent. Personally learn where it is and check it.
if your not having actual mechanical problems a manual transmizsion spewing a little fluid is not the makin g of a shot transmission.
I call BS
now if your anal and cant live with a little transseapage then by all means Just Empty Every Pocket.
Learn how to check your fluid and top it off.

unless you like the deal from Carvarna and dump the pos

Hey @whacko what do you think about Tacomas?
Its possible I'm a fan of them. But then again...... I'm not the one looking to ditch a vehicle I spent upwards of $50,000 on that has less than 50k miles on it am i?

Last edited:
I want to know why it is shot, just because of a small leak. Really, i would check the transmission vent. Personally learn where it is and check it.
if your not having actual mechanical problems a manual transmizsion spewing a little fluid is not the makin g of a shot transmission.
This was my thought as well.

Depending on what you get for a second opinion you should probably just eat the cost of a replacement and lesson learned and get something else asap. I've had a vehicle or two along the way that I just finally had to throw in the towel on and admit defeat and move on. Life is too short to continue to mess around with this nonsense because it's never going to end. Now back to acting like a child I love some of the words being used like just split it in half [rofl] And just shove some rtv into the crack[rofl]

I'm just getting rid of the f***ing thing. Why would I eat the cost and then buy another car? It runs fine, you'd never know it has a problem other than the leak. And it's not gushing it's probably like 20 drips a day. He basically said he suspects there's something wrong enough inside that a replacement could be possible, but he also said it's totally possible that pulling it and trying to reseal it would be all it needs but he can't say for certain til he's got it out. I just don't want to tell him go ahead and try that, spend $1500 and have him call and say yeah it's totally f***ed inside so you still need to replace it and then I'm well over $5K.

The mechanic told me that if Carvana is offering 28K for it to just take the money and run. He said it's not worth wasting $1500 to open it up and try to reseal it if I'm just selling it anyway, and going with the full replacement just to turn around and sell or trade it is even dumber. He said a large volume place like Carvana will either auction it off or they'll fix it and sell it and probably won't find the issue for a while anyway. He's like just wipe it down an hour before the Carvana truck shows up and since they just give it a quick once over in your driveway without putting it on a lift then they'll never know.

The problem I have now, is that I paid this off mid year and have a MA title in CA and my reg is a "goldenrod" reg (i.e. it says no title info, vehicle not transferrable"...So before I can sell it to Carvana I have to get the title switched to CA, which will happen at the speed of government. Of course, CA DMV 72 hour rush title processing is currently suspended bc China Flu.

Luckily I'm working from home and don't need a car right now, so it's just gonna sit in the driveway til that new title comes in.

I'm just getting rid of the f***ing thing. Why would I eat the cost and then buy another car? It runs fine, you'd never know it has a problem other than the leak. And it's not gushing it's probably like 20 drips a day. He basically said he suspects there's something wrong enough inside that a replacement could be possible, but he also said it's totally possible that pulling it and trying to reseal it would be all it needs but he can't say for certain til he's got it out. I just don't want to tell him go ahead and try that, spend $1500 and have him call and say yeah it's totally f***ed inside so you still need to replace it and then I'm well over $5K.

The mechanic told me that if Carvana is offering 28K for it to just take the money and run. He said it's not worth wasting $1500 to open it up and try to reseal it if I'm just selling it anyway, and going with the full replacement just to turn around and sell or trade it is even dumber. He said a large volume place like Carvana will either auction it off or they'll fix it and sell it and probably won't find the issue for a while anyway. He's like just wipe it down an hour before the Carvana truck shows up and since they just give it a quick once over in your driveway without putting it on a lift then they'll never know.

The problem I have now, is that I paid this off mid year and have a MA title in CA and my reg is a "goldenrod" reg (i.e. it says no title info, vehicle not transferrable"...So before I can sell it to Carvana I have to get the title switched to CA, which will happen at the speed of government. Of course, CA DMV 72 hour rush title processing is currently suspended bc China Flu.

Luckily I'm working from home and don't need a car right now, so it's just gonna sit in the driveway til that new title comes in.

.....and what do you think he's going to tell you after he's got your truck all apart and your nuts in a vice? "I won't know until I take it apart" is mechanic speak for "I'm about to f*** your wife, throw your keys on your roof, and resell you back your own "rebuilt" transmission, you just don't know it yet"...

Trade that POS in and never buy another one...

My Yota 4Runner is the same age, has the same mileage, and has received nothing other than routine oil changes and windshield washer fluid... Literally nothing else. Thgey don't make Jeeps like they used to... That's for damn sure... I'm saying this from experience as someone who owned a ZJ with 230K on the clock.

.....and what do you think he's going to tell you after he's got your truck all apart and your nuts in a vice? "I won't know until I take it apart" is mechanic speak for "I'm about to f*** your wife, throw your keys on your roof, and resell you back your own "rebuilt" transmission, you just don't know it yet"...
well, that's the risk...but he seems trustworthy because he's the one telling not to bother and just sell it. Last thing he said was "if you fix it before selling it your just putting your money in someone else's pocket....I'm happy to take your money, but if I were you I'd just sell it as is"

well, that's the risk...but he seems trustworthy because he's the one telling not to bother and just sell it. Last thing he said was "if you fix it before selling it your just putting your money in someone else's pocket....I'm happy to take your money, but if I were you I'd just sell it as is"

Take his advice...

Take his advice...
I am....

Kind of feel like a dick selling it without disclosing it, but at the same time f*** Carvana. they're huge, they can afford it and if it's their standard practice to buy cars without so much as putting it on a lift first then that's their own lack of due diligence biting them in the ass.

The mechanic told me ... just wipe it down an hour before the Carvana truck shows up and since they just give it a quick once over in your driveway without putting it on a lift then they'll never know.
If I saw a 50,000 mile transmission with all the dirt wiped off around a casing seam...

Last edited:
Pretty sure no one has ever cross-shopped an F350 and a Tacoma. The former is not only more capable as a work truck but it's also much, much nicer inside.

This.

I am one of the biggest Toyota fanbois here and if i had F350 money/aspirations for a truck I"d be getting the Ford.... lmao.

I am....

Kind of feel like a dick selling it without disclosing it, but at the same time f*** Carvana. they're huge, they can afford it and if it's their standard practice to buy cars without so much as putting it on a lift first then that's their own lack of due diligence biting them in the ass.
It's also a used jeep product... it's difficult to feel bad... lmao

I plan on getting a 4L60 to them next summer of Covid dies out. Long time subscriber.
Rich recently said that he no longer does take outs. He was having a problem with people incorrectly installing and adjusting their transmissions, and sending them back for warranty work.
So now it is the whole vehicle or nothing.

Rich sure is a knowledgeable tech, I wish we had someone like him in the Boston area.

I am....

Isn't that the kind of unethical thinking that liberals are fond of? "You've got money, screw you!"

This.

I am one of the biggest Toyota fanbois here and if i had F350 money/aspirations for a truck I"d be getting the Ford.... lmao.
I have f350 money.....but not the aspirations to buy one. Thats how I paid of my house at 44 years old and well on par to reach my ultimate goal of being retired when I'm 58. Given the choice of driving a $70k truck financed over 5 to 7 years (which my annual income could easily afford) I will choose a $30k truck.....pay it off in 3 years and drive it for 12..... and put the extra $45k i saved into extra mortgage payments (did it done it been there). Thats how you pay off a mortgage and plan for a retirement. Didnt hurt that I owned the home while I was on active duty and rented it out to pay the mortgage and build equity while I was stationed elsewhere but thats another financial opportunity I took advantage of in my 30s.

I'll be retired hunting and fishing 6 days a week when I'm 58.....and when I'm dead and gone my wife will very comfortable and taken care of. I'll take that piece of mind over "nicer" truck any day of the week.

Last edited:

Trade that POS in and never buy another one...

My Yota 4Runner is the same age, has the same mileage, and has received nothing other than routine oil changes and windshield washer fluid... Literally nothing else. Thgey don't make Jeeps like they used to... That's for damn sure... I'm saying this from experience as someone who owned a ZJ with 230K on the clock.
Careful @kalash is gonna accuse you of being a Toyota fanboy.

Back
Top Bottom