• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My son turns 18

richc

NES Member
Tomorrow (Tuesday) my youngest child and only son turns 18. Some of you have met Joe at different NES shooting events.

First and foremost I'm very proud of him. He's a talented musician and a good kid. Numerous colleges have offered him music scholarships to play cello in their orchestras. He has played for the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra for several years. He's kept his nose clean and hangs with good kids. He has a very cute girlfriend who is also very, very nice. He's made a lot of good choices in a world where bad choices are commonplace.

He's had his FID card for some time now. Tonight it dawns on him that at the age of 18 he can legally OWN a rifle. I've given him the choice of one rifle and one shotgun from my collection (low cap, of course, due to MA's laws). I think he's going for the Remington 700p in 308 for a rifle, and a shotgun to be named later.

He just ran out to the police station to get the FA10's. We'll fill them out first thing in the morning and I'll put them in the mail to the CHSB tomorrow to make it official. He is SO EXCITED!

I'm grateful for many things. But I'm especially grateful for having three amazing kids who are happy, healthy and on a good path in life.

So Happy Birthday Joe!!! And welcome to this wonderful world of gun ownership, and all these really nice folks who share our passion for firearms.

And thank you all for giving me a forum to reflect and share my happy moment in life.

Best,

Rich

After today, he can't beat the thief who stole his board without fear of being labeled unsuitable.

Happy birthday Joe. Papa done good.

Congrats on a good kid, theyre hard to come by these days [wink] now buy him a beer

18 was one of my favorite birthdays, spent the weekend in montreal with friends partying for three straight days, such a good time.

Happy 18th birthday Joe!
I remember a few days after I turned 18 my dad and I went down to the post office in our little town so I could register with the selective services. I walk up to the counter and tell the guy why I'm there, he smiles at me and says "So which do you want, Army, Navy, or Air Force?" The question caught me completely off guard, which I'm sure was apparent by the deer-in-the-headlights look I was giving this guy. Finally he laughed and told me he was kidding, and handed me the little card.

Tonight it dawns on him that at the age of 18 he can legally OWN a rifle. I've given him the choice of one rifle and one shotgun from my collection (low cap, of course, due to MA's laws).

Federal law is age 18 to buy a long gun from an FFL licensed dealer. I don't think there is a federal age limit on private sales, and anyone with an FID may legally own a low cap long gun - so, in other words, you waited 3 extra years to give him the gun. I'm less than 100% certain about the lack of a federal age limit on private transfers - corrections welcome.

I think he's going for the Remington 700p in 308 for a rifle,
You son has good taste.

Last edited:
Tomorrow (Tuesday) my youngest child and only son turns 18. Some of you have met Joe at different NES shooting events.
He just ran out to the police station to get the FA10's. We'll fill them out first thing in the morning and I'll put them in the mail to the CHSB tomorrow to make it official. He is SO EXCITED!...

Happy birthday Joe. BTW the FA-10 can be downloaded. Thanks to a NES'er a fillable PDF is on the forum somewhere (MA laws?) as well. Just in case the PD didn't have the forms. Enjoy!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ht/wt?
Any law violations or medical issues?
Could you send me his contact info?

[wink]

Hey... I know what you do for a living! Truth is he has talked with several military folks already and took the military aptitude test. At this point I think the path he will choose is college.

I suspect music school is in his future. He's also looking at a dual degree program in music and cognitive science with some interest in federal level law enforcement.

On the other hand my middle daughter is a sophomore in college and worked last summer at Natick Army Labs. Looks like she will work there for the rest of her college career too. She's gone through an extensive security clearance recently, and they've asked her to stay on for two years after college.

Hey... I know what you do for a living! Truth is he has talked with several military folks already and took the military aptitude test. At this point I think the path he will choose is college.

I suspect music school is in his future. He's also looking at a dual degree program in music and cognitive science with some interest in federal level law enforcement.

On the other hand my middle daughter is a sophomore in college and worked last summer at Natick Army Labs. Looks like she will work there for the rest of her college career too. She's gone through an extensive security clearance recently, and they've asked her to stay on for two years after college.

I'll hook him up part time and pay for his college.

I like you that much. It's only for you, though. Don't tell anyone else.

First, happy birthday to the young one! It's an exciting age.

He just ran out to the police station to get the FA10's. We'll fill them out first thing in the morning and I'll put them in the mail to the CHSB tomorrow to make it official. He is SO EXCITED!

And second, you're a cruel man... you KNOW that the PD won't have the FA10s!! [laugh] He needs to go to the Dept of Criminal Justice Information Services to download them.

Dwarven... he's a teenager on a mission and he got the forms. FA10 for the Remington 700p is in the mail.

[shocked] Must be the only PD left in the state that still has FA10s!!! Don't you remember the big kerfluffle last year when they all ran out of them?

Tomorrow (Tuesday) my youngest child and only son turns 18...First and foremost I'm very proud of him...

Happy Bday to your son, and kudos to you for raising what sounds like a great kid!

Federal law is age 18 to buy a long gun from an FFL licensed dealer. I don't think there is a federal age limit on private sales, and anyone with an FID may legally own a low cap long gun - so, in other words, you waited 3 extra years to give him the gun. I'm less than 100% certain about the lack of a federal age limit on private transfers - corrections welcome.

AFAIK, you are correct. I am also unaware of any Federal law prohibiting non-FFL long-gun transfers to juveniles. MA law generally prohibits FTF and/or FFL sales to juveniles, but a parent or guardian may transfer ownership of non-large capacity long-gun to a juvenile of at least 15 years of age, providing they possess a FID (MGL 140-130).

Back
Top Bottom