My new long-range Dan Wesson hand cannon....

I’m a revolver fan, that is one nice looking revolver. The longest barrel I have is in my S&W TRR8 but that’s only in 357. The longest 44 I have is only 4 inch, it’s the 329pd but kicks like a mule. Might get it manga ported.

But that is a very, very nice 44.

Harry
Thanks Harry!

I just wish they would start making 44 mag revolvers again :emoji_angry:
I know! Bob told me that the plans/specs etc were lost in a fire years ago? But with today’s technology and DW’s skilled machinists, it seems like they could pull it off. I suspect they don’t think the demand will be greater than the supply etc.

Just buy a used one. Mine is an early 90s Palmer model which was in good shape except for the oversized chambers.

No Picatinny rail on the bottom for the bipod? Looks awesome! Is that a Palmer gun? Wondering if the threads in the frame are a bit out of spec. I need to drag my 744 out...been a while.

I've thought about getting a non fluted cylinder for mine.

My pile o' Dans...

TsPAPof.jpg

So you are saying the barrel is loose and moves around? Not seeing accuracy if that is the case. Or safe use for that matter.

Looks nice though.

No Picatinny rail on the bottom for the bipod? Looks awesome! Is that a Palmer gun? Wondering if the threads in the frame are a bit out of spec. I need to drag my 744 out...been a while.

I've thought about getting a non fluted cylinder for mine.

My pile o' Dans...

TsPAPof.jpg
Haha now that’s a good idea! I bet Bob could definitely drill n tap the underside of the shroud so you could install a stud to mount a rail.

Yup it’s a Palmer model. I don’t think the threads are out of spec as the 2.5" and 6" barrels don’t wobble at all. Bob got back to me this morning about the fitment:
“Most of the shrouds have a different fit to them. Sometimes the shroud locating pins get worn, sometimes because of tolerances they can be a few thousandths smaller or larger.”

I think it should be fine as long as the nut keeps everything snug.

If you want an unfluted cylinder you better act fast. I don’t believe bob had many left in stock. And yes dust off your 744!
Love that pile of Dans!!

So you are saying the barrel is loose and moves around? Not seeing accuracy if that is the case. Or safe use for that matter.

Looks nice though.
Only loose when it is threaded into the frame. Not a lot but there is play. But once you install the barrel nut, it puts tension on the barrel and locks it tight.

If it was loose even with the barrel nut installed, then yes that would be very bad.

Looks nice though.

With these Dan Wessons, there is a separate barrel tube and separate shroud. If you look at the picture of my 744 the lighter shroud doesn't have the tube in it. The tube is threaded into the frame then the shroud is slid over it. A barrel nut is then threaded onto the muzzle end which clamps the shroud to the frame and tensions the barrel tube. This tension contributes to the accuracy of the Dan Wessons. This system also allows for easy adjustment of the cylinder to forcing cone gap.

With these Dan Wessons, there is a separate barrel tube and separate shroud. If you look at the picture of my 744 the lighter shroud doesn't have the tube in it. The tube is threaded into the frame then the shroud is slid over it. A barrel nut is then threaded onto the muzzle end which clamps the shroud to the frame and tensions the barrel tube. This tension contributes to the accuracy of the Dan Wessons. This system also allows for easy adjustment of the cylinder to forcing cone gap.
Great explanation

I'm sure The Anchor would approve. He has some sweet DW revolvers. I was wondering how you were going to shoot it at 120 yards, but now I see. Different range.

Put September 29th on your calendar. 100 yard pistol shoot at Singletary R&G. [wink]

Andrew, great looking gun, congrats! So when does the holster arrive and you bust it out for IDPA!!??
Load and make ready!

I'm sure The Anchor would approve. He has some sweet DW revolvers. I was wondering how you were going to shoot it at 120 yards, but now I see. Different range.

Put September 29th on your calendar. 100 yard pistol shoot at Singletary R&G. [wink]
Yeah he definitely does have a great collection He’s on a Dan Wesson Facebook group I’m on and he saw the pics yesterday. He approved lol.

Yeah my local club has the backstop at around 120 yards so I put out my 8 inch steel plate back there. Should be fun.

Singletary Is a hike for me but I would definitely make the track for a long range pistol match. Is the shooting done offhand or from a rest? I’m sure I could learn a few things from the seasoned veteran shooters. Thanks for posting that I will definitely mark it on my calendar!

Andrew was just yelling at me because I told him I was thinking of selling my 4" Monson, MA 15.
Don’t do it! Get an extra long barrel for yours along with a muzzle brake. Gotta accessorize the Dan lol.

WOW! I can honestly say I’m speechless. This revolver is just insanely accurate.
695EA7E6-7EE9-4590-A550-9CA0BDBF80BC.jpeg
B56D28D8-FF32-45C8-8CA7-5084C6D0EA84.jpeg

Took my first 2 shots at 25 yards to see where it was on paper. First shot on left, adjusted the windage and second shot on the right. Super lucky I didn’t have to adjust it too much.
3E6929FC-87D8-455F-9BFF-636C44833B8A.jpeg

Then I went out to 100 yards and it was shooting a tad high so I walked it down a bit. It definitely took me some time to figure out the best distance to position my eyes due to the long eye relief (20+ inches). The further back the better it seemed. I settled on 4X instead of 6X.

This is where I was blown away. Put my 8" steel at 120 yards and was ringing it just about every shot! I wish I could upload videos as I took some videos showing the steel plate swinging and ringing. Just unbelievable accuracy.

This is a screenshot from the video. Red arrow pointing to the 8" plate. iPhone 6 camera zoom maxed out lol:
5F1B3FE2-6C49-4158-9F6C-DFB3170F7D2A.jpeg

It also helped to have a VERY light grip on the gun to avoid shaking the crosshairs etc. It’s so damn long and heavy that I essentially just placed my hand on the gun to pull the trigger and let the gun soak up the recoil.

ACF14EB2-8E54-43D3-99AB-E7066B7E2C2D.jpeg
B4C13BC3-8CDC-479B-9AEA-D498BCA5EC5E.jpeg

Here’s some screenshots of the video showing the muzzle flip. It looks extreme due to me essentially not even gripping the gun but it wasn’t bad.
F5DAE577-16D7-494A-85D0-C094BDC7F272.png 64D29D61-3CCF-4C0B-9A0C-9ACFA077D6F6.png CB4F02E5-E2EA-418D-B297-FA46D7DB47E7.png

@djbradles everything worked out well lol.

Last edited:
Recoil made the scope slide forward a bit and hit the scope mount creating a small scuff/indentation. I need to be better at checking the scope rings for tightness. I also didn’t want to crank it down so tight that I break the tube.

I need to bring a mat next time to make it more comfortable for my elbows on the table. Also something to rest the butt of the gun - I was using a soft pistol case to rest the butt.

All in all it was a fantastic day at the range. Had a couple guys shooting high end 6.5CM rifles that couldn’t believe I was hitting the steel with a pistol lmao. Definitely took some practice to get there.

Trigger finger is a tad sore from shooting 100+ rounds of full house magnum loads[laugh]

I dont have the luxury of a Dan Wesson (yet!), however similar to your experience, my 6" scoped 629 classic hunter always surprises me. I get more of a kick out of off hand shooting at 75 yds though. I can just about keep all 6 on a 12" gong consistently. The gun can far outshoot me, that's all I know. Sounds like you've got a serious rig there!

I dont have the luxury of a Dan Wesson (yet!), however similar to your experience, my 6" scoped 629 classic hunter always surprises me. I get more of a kick out of off hand shooting at 75 yds though. I can just about keep all 6 on a 12" gong consistently. The gun can far outshoot me, that's all I know. Sounds like you've got a serious rig there!

Nice!! A scoped 629 is one hell of a gun too. Very cool.

I didn’t even bother with offhand shooting because of the weight of the gun plus 8" steel at 120 yards is crazy small for offhand. I’d be lucky to hit it offhand with my 9mm CZ comp guns lol.

Back
Top Bottom