My first shotgun!!!!

you got good stuff as far as ammo. Use the #8 for shooting clays or anything you feel like chucking in the air. Also at close range that stuff is fun to shoot at anything.

Chokes: Your gun probably came with a Modified? Chokes are good if you are using the gun for one purpose. you can use the Mod for everything for now and then if you want to go say Turkey hunting, change your choke to a Full or Extra Full Turkey or waterfowl choke.

ETA: just looked at the pic. Your choke is probably Cylinder, shoot everything with that bad larry.

Last edited:
i would suggest #4 birdshot for home defense,,,, most may suggest o-o buck but i think that at ranges less than 25' as in a home defense situation even with open cyl choke youre spread with either #4 or 0-0 would be 3 inches or less,,, the reduced recoil of #4 would allow better target management. it is possible to miss and need a 2nd shot with a shotgun.

Last edited:
I am planning to shoot clays, and paper mostly. Why do you ask??
I am not coming tomorrow, I have another plans. :-(

I was going to say if you were coming tomorrow bring slugs, better for distance.

So another newbie question on shotguns.
I have been reading up and people talk about chokes, do I need them for this shotgun?

That most likely has an open choke (none?) if you're planning on using it for HD (the most likely application with a short barrel) then no choke is needed. Personally I use 00 buck for HD but some here will tell you #8 which I guess is fine as well.

While I do love my SAIGA 12, the inability to convert it to a proper pistol grip in MA makes pumps much more attractive.

I have been looking for a saiga - anyone know where I can get one?

thx

Nice choice on the 500!! I've had one for ~6 years, probably cleaned it twice and never lubed it. Runs like a champ, eats everything, and there are plenty of options to customize it.

can someone explain what a choke does for a shot gun and what it is?

Chokes are small metal tubes that are threaded, and screw into the end of the barrel to modify the spread of the pellets as they exit the barrel. Open or cylinder chokes are the same diameter as the barrel and don't restrict the pellets any more than the actual barrel.

Where as a modified, turkey, or full choke will constrict the pellets as they exit the barrel resulting in less shot dispersion as the pellets travel down range. These types of chokes are ideal for hunting as you want to get the majority of the pellets on target.

ETA: Midway has a "dictionary" that I sometimes reference for unknown terminology: Gun Tec Dictionary

Last edited:
Congrats on the great new gun...you won't be disappointed.

I bought the Mossy 500 as well. Mine is a Persuader model with 8 in the tube and I replaced the standard rifle stock with a Knoxx Spec-Ops 'recoil reducing' stock.

I absolutely LOVE that gun!

After extensive research: the ability to keep your trigger finger in the indexed position on a Mossy while still being able to have access to your safety (via your thumb) and your mag release (via your middle finger) and the ability to throw a comfortable pistol grip on it makes it ideal for a HD shotty. I like the Rem870 but the controls, safety, and mag release just dont seem as intuitive as the Mossy for a HD gun. Great choice, I am looking into the Moss 500 Persuader/Cruiser (comes with a pistol grip and butt stock)
No Mossy with a 3.5" chamber? [wink]

If you're going to use the shotgun for home defense you don't need to worry about chokes.

They're for bird, duck hunting, trap, skeet etc.

Your fine don't worry about it.
My smoothbore 18.5" barrel has an 8'X8' pattern with 3.5" turkey shot @ 100 yards. Aim not neccessary [rofl]

Nice choice on the 500!! I've had one for ~6 years, probably cleaned it twice and never lubed it. Runs like a champ, eats everything, and there are plenty of options to customize it.

Chokes are small metal tubes that are threaded, and screw into the end of the barrel to modify the spread of the pellets as they exit the barrel. Open or cylinder chokes are the same diameter as the barrel and don't restrict the pellets any more than the actual barrel.

Where as a modified, turkey, or full choke will constrict the pellets as they exit the barrel resulting in less shot dispersion as the pellets travel down range. These types of chokes are ideal for hunting as you want to get the majority of the pellets on target.

ETA: Midway has a "dictionary" that I sometimes reference for unknown terminology: Gun Tec Dictionary

Excellent use of reference. +5.

Northshore Firearms had Saiga 12's and Mossberg 930SPX

Bought one of each. Put the red dot on the Mossberg and groups about 3" @100 yrds.

Just scoped the Saiga 12 and the rain hasn't let up to try it. Groups with slugs before the scope at 100 yrds were 6" to 7"

Both of mine shoot anything in 12 gauge.

Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom