• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Damn Shotgun Quest for a Citori

peterk123

NES Member
Over five hours of driving five shops visited and my adventure was a bust trying to find a CX or CXS. I shouldered a citori hunter with a 26 barrel. LOP felt short. Kind of like my V3, but a bit shorter. It could work if it had to I suppose. They had an older citori, used. LOP felt better. 28 inch barrel. No CX or CXS to be found anywhere. Every shop told me they could order one.

I'm at a loss. I am still hesitant to order one of them. But, given my build, I can probably fit to any gun. So it's just shoot the V3, or take a flyer on a CX or CXS.

Since shorter LOP is safer than longer, would you recommend the CX? Gun would be used for hunting and clays/trap. Im not too concerned about the rib height. I just want it to work for me. LOP on the CX is shorter than the CXS. I'm sure there is a reason, and it must have to do with the rib height. I'm just not versed enough in the art of the fit to understand what it is. Or maybe it's just set up for smaller people than the CXS.

I've also shouldered a SP1.
Felt too light and the drop felt weird for some reason.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Pete

Shotgun fit is arguably the most important factor in selecting a new gun. I wouldn't recommend taking a flier on anything you haven't had a chance to at very least shoulder. The possible exception being a shotgun with an adjustable comb and buttplate as most shooters should be able to find a sweet spot.

You also might want to look at sporting models rather than field models if you're interested in a more substantial gun. Hunting guns tend to be lighter as a result of the smaller stock dimensions. Like the SP1 you mentioned.

And I concur with the rib comments above. It's all about what YOU see when look down the barrel. And where the gun shoots in relation to that perspective.

Any chance you could find a local club with skeet or sporting clays? Most shooters I know would be happy to let someone look at their guns and chat.

Shotgun fit is arguably the most important factor in selecting a new gun. I wouldn't recommend taking a flier on anything you haven't had a chance to at very least shoulder. The possible exception being a shotgun with an adjustable comb and buttplate as most shooters should be able to find a sweet spot.

You also might want to look at sporting models rather than field models if you're interested in a more substantial gun. Hunting guns tend to be lighter as a result of the smaller stock dimensions. Like the SP1 you mentioned.

And I concur with the rib comments above. It's all about what YOU see when look down the barrel. And where the gun shoots in relation to that perspective.

Any chance you could find a local club with skeet or sporting clays? Most shooters I know would be happy to let someone look at their guns and chat.
Both models I'm considering are sporting. It's freakin' crazy. I'm in probably one of the best bird hunting, and quite possibly rabbit hunting states. Yet shotguns are scarce. I'm told Browning does not distribute large numbers here in the States. Which to me is insane. So when a couple show up in a shop, they are gobbled up quickly. There is a cynergy cx in stock in the other direction I travelled today. I will check that out next week.

1) Go shoots some clays at a few different clubs.. ask guys about their guns. You'll be surprised how many will offer to let you shoot a round with it. At the very least let you shoulder it.
2) Also I'd prefer to buy a gun with a longer LOP... easy for a gunsmith to just cut it down and install a new pad. My 16G FAIR was at 14 5/8 (maybe 3/4) " when I bought it. It's now closer to american guns at 14 1/4". A nice O/U look stupid with added pads to me. But thats me.
3) A gun fitting wouldn't be a bad idea either. Although I keep telling myself to book one down at Orvis in NY for myself... My next gun will have a custom stock on it... fit to me.
4) My clays gun and my upland gun are not the same. I know that's easier said than done but the two sports have different needs. I occasionally shoot a few rounds of trap with my upland 16G but the vast majority of clays get hit with my 12G Beretta 391.

Back
Top Bottom