• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first rifle:)

my AK is finally on its way to MA , to get defiled by Pinning on a muzzle brake chop the bayo lug off and

a nice Arsenal SGL 31
Arsenal SGL 31 5.45x39 great condition Package : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

going to put on the OD green furniture that i have.. can't wait

decided if i have to pin on a muzzle brake , and shoot corrosive i need good access to clean it so i picked out the Manticore Arms Nightbrake, the regular one is just too hard to make sure its clean inside without being able to remove it

AK74 NIGHTBRAKE COMPENSATOR | Brownells

now just need to play the waiting game

How do you deal with shooting corrosive and making sure the regular ak74 break stays clean since its pinned on chris? Or is that your ak in your avatar and have no muzzle brake?

yes no muzzle break in fact I was looking into one myself....I havent had a problem cleaning the barrel so far. So far I think they have great triggers and it's easy to handle. I shoot left handed and for some reason I want to hold the mag well when I shoot it. The first time I took it to the range I put my right hand on the mag well and the first round made the charging handle catch my thumb and almost ripped it off :) . I put an AFG on it to solve that problem. If your looking for cheap spam cans shooter outpost had the 1080 rd cans for 215 tax free. I havent seen a shop in mass be able to come near that price.

Last edited:
Great! When it comes in sell it and buy an AK in the proper caliber.

Lol, i went with 5.45 because its light recoil, and ammo is cheap.

I shot the 7.62 and its not fun recoil wise, and leaves bruises on my shoulders and i prefer wearing tank tops in summer without them:)

And didn't the russian military move to 5.45?

The AK's in 5.45 are pretty cool I had not shot one until one of the car shoots. I was impressed of course I love the AK platform so it was not hard to enjoy shooting a different caliber in it. That looks like a nice setup, hope you enjoy it.

How do you deal with shooting corrosive and making sure the regular ak74 break stays clean since its pinned on chris? Or is that your ak in your avatar and have no muzzle brake?

when dealing with a brake (especially if it's pinned/welded to the barrel) make sure to dump a bunch of ammonia windex on it, or soapy water right after the range. Do it that same day, otherwise you'll see corrosion on it. I have waited to do this and had a brake rust up on me.

I usually bring a bottle of soapy water, like palmolive + tap water, and pour it down the barrel of my AK's after I finish shooting that day. Then I have a day or so that they won't totally rust up. But try to clean them that same day so you can avoid any corrosion. When cleaning, use soapy water first, then your gun cleaner, then oil. I usually skip the cleaner unless there's a lot of fouling in the rifling of the barrel.

Nice rifle. AND VERY NICE MAGAZINE SCORE. for $1,200, you did well.

And I'll second you on the recoil- 7.62x39 does have a bit more pop than a 5.45. The 5.45 is very low, which makes my 5.45 guns my "mag dump" firearms of choice. I can drain a 30 in seconds and stay on target.

Was able to hold and play with the AK at the shop, while its waiting for the gunsmith to pick it up to do the pinning, sad i couldn't take it home then... its going to be at least next week before i get to shoot it.. but it was nice to see it.

part of me wants a remington 700 police version bolt action .223 , not ready for a 308 win yet. id make it a nice grey color

i would love to , and when i get it out of dealer/gunsmith jail i will take many...

till then the gunbroker auction listing will have to do :(

I think he was trying to get a picture of you... Lol and I'll add my congrats! I have a converted saiga 5.45 and that was my first rifke super awesome to shoot! I've got an ak74 parts kit on my work bench waiting for me to stop being lazy! Lol

I shot the 7.62 and its not fun recoil wise, and leaves bruises on my shoulders and i prefer wearing tank tops in summer without them:)

My daughters and wife shoot 7.62x39 (and 54R for that matter) sans bruises. Is it possible you are a nancy girl?

And didn't the russian military move to 5.45?

Get a stronger grip and you won't bruise up

I'll try again, when my and friends go out for commie day with our ak's and i'll shoot his 7.62. And check it out again. Maybe we can all meet up or something .

Back
Top Bottom