• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!

Correct on the AR. Ignore the list. It means nothing to you. The G19 is fine but no post 94 mags over 10 rounds so leave the 15s behind and get 10rders or prebans
I made the move here from TN about 10 years ago. The laws are a PITA but there are tons of clubs and competitions. Be prepared to burn through a lot more ammo LOL.

You are correct regarding your AR and mags. If you are able to find preban mags now, I suggest that you stock up.

No issues with the Glock, bring it. Buy more if you like. Just be sure that mags are 10 round or less or are preban.

Movers typically won't transport firearms, especially the commercial ones hired for relocation. I brought mine in a vehicle.

Once they are at your new home, keep them in the safe until you have your LTC.
Wow. The misinformation here is staggering.

Yes you can register. If you bring the gun in with you it is not required. If you bring it after you move registration is required. There are no magical blocks on registering ARs. Healey press conferences are not law and have no impact on the eFA10 system. There are no monsters under your bed.

It is not legal for you to posses/transport without a license but if you can teleport it to your new house locked up that would be legal.

Logan does not GAF about firearms. I have brought luggage with firearms into and out of Logan more times than I can count and NEVER shown an LTC and never had my bags questioned when returning. I am not advocating bringing guns in via method other than teleportation, but Logan is very low risk.
Others covered all this but also you might want to buy stuff now that is harder to get in Mass, stuff not on the roster.

Some will tell you you have to register firearms you bring into the state, but others say you don't. I'd go with not registering them.
Registration is required of a MA resident acquiring a gun, but not of someone moving in.

But, the 60 day exemption does not apply to high cap weapons (See Comm. v. Cornelius), so you have to get those once you are a MA resident and have an LTC. Only way to legally move in with the high cap guns is to get a non-resident LTC, then apply for resident once you get to the DPRM.

I'm not sure I can get my corporate relocation program to get a flight into NH so most likely I'll be going through BOS. What are my options in terms of getting my firearms into the state? I just have one AR15 and one G19. It's prohibited to have the moving service transport them to MA.

Would breaking them down be a viable option? Maybe have the upper and slide sent to me via mail later on, but check in the stripped lower receiver and stripped glock frame on the plane?

I'm not sure I can get my corporate relocation program to get a flight into NH so most likely I'll be going through BOS. What are my options in terms of getting my firearms into the state? I just have one AR15 and one G19. It's prohibited to have the moving service transport them to MA.

Would breaking them down be a viable option? Maybe have the upper and slide sent to me via mail later on, but check in the stripped lower receiver and stripped glock frame on the plane?
Pack them compliant with airline/TSA rules and transport them as checked luggage. Period!

Just make sure that they are AWB compliant (and mags as well) with the MGL before bringing them into MA. Lock them up, take your course and file for a LTC. NO registration (EVER) required for guns you move in with. Just make sure that you comply with the MGLs on storage and transportation at all times, that's what makes many into Federal PPs and felons in MA.

Sorry to hear that you'll be moving to Commiechusetts. Pick up your hammer & sickle flag at the airport store.

Pack them compliant with airline/TSA rules and transport them as checked luggage. Period!

Just make sure that they are AWB compliant (and mags as well) with the MGL before bringing them into MA. Lock them up, take your course and file for a LTC. NO registration (EVER) required for guns you move in with. Just make sure that you comply with the MGLs on storage and transportation at all times, that's what makes many into Federal PPs and felons in MA.

Sorry to hear that you'll be moving to Commiechusetts. Pick up your hammer & sickle flag at the airport store.

Great advice from Len-2A regarding transportation and what to do when you arrive.

Someone will correct me if wrong, but for transportation those two firearms should be in locked cases. Don't put any ammo in the cases but pretty sure you won't have any because you are flying. Assuming you get a rental car, best to have them locked in the trunk while driving home. If SUV or other vehicle without trunk, keep in locked case.

As goofy as this sounds, a locked case is not legal storage in Mass but a trigger lock is. So get a couple trigger locks if you don't have a safe or secure locking cabinet. Likewise, for your pistol and AR a trigger lock is not a legal means to transport w/o that locked case or locking the guns in the trunk.

Good luck with the move- I know how stressful that can be.

As goofy as this sounds, a locked case is not legal storage in Mass but a trigger lock is.

Source please? A trigger lock doesn't satisfy transport requirements, but a locked case satisfies both.

I haven't seen any information that says a locked case is not a "locked container", but I am happy to be corrected. It sounds similar to people saying you need to store guns unloaded (also not true).

I haven't seen any information that says a locked case is not a "locked container", but I am happy to be corrected. It sounds similar to people saying you need to store guns unloaded (also not true).
I think guns not under your direct control in a vehicle must be locked (case for high cap rifles; trigger locks ok for other stuff) and unloaded.

Source please? A trigger lock doesn't satisfy transport requirements, but a locked case satisfies both.

You are correct but MGL wording is not definitive enough for my taste. MGL doesn't say a locked case is a "locked container" either. Is a heavy duty Pelican case with metal reinforced lock grommets a container? Probably? Is a soft cordura case with the zippers locked together a container? I wouldn't want to argue that in a MA court. A trigger lock is clearly acceptable storage by MGL and as far as I recall hasn't started any discussions over semantics of a poorly defined law.

Maybe a ridiculous position on my part but after seeing how a friend was tripped up for storage by LEO's showing up to his house in advance of an ambulance for a family member, I shall not be treading into any gray areas for storage.

Any case with a lock is adequate for storage and transportation. Trigger locks are NOT compliant with the law on transportation, but comply (only) with the law on storage. And the above is what is taught to LEOs in MA.

Thanks for this info, I'm moving from Commiefornia so its just as bad if not worse here lol.

So just to recap. My AR15 currently has

- Telescoping stock
- Pistol Grip
- Flash Hider
- CA compliant Mag lock
- 16" Barrel

currently in its form it is CA compliant for me to transport it to MA I will need to do the following:

- Remove flash hider and replace with muzzle break and pin and weld
- Pin the stock to make it a fixed stock

Right?

Once I get to MA and get my LTC , can I then remove my CA compliant mag lock and replace it with a regular magazine release so long as I keep the fixed stock and muzzle break?

Last edited:
Thanks for this info, I'm moving from Commiefornia so its just as bad if not worse here lol.

So just to recap. My AR15 currently has

- Telescoping stock
- Pistol Grip
- Flash Hider
- CA compliant Mag lock
- 16" Barrel

currently in its form it is CA compliant for me to transport it to MA I will need to do the following:

- Remove flash hider OR replace with muzzle break and pin and weld
- Pin the stock to make it a fixed stock

Right?

Once I get to MA and get my LTC , can I then remove my CA compliant mag lock and replace it with a regular magazine release so long as I keep the fixed stock and muzzle break?

You got it, with one correction: Just removing the flash hider is not good enough, because then it has a threaded barrel which still counts as an evil feature. You'll need to have a muzzle brake/compensator pinned to the barrel before bringing it in.

You got it, with one correction: Just removing the flash hider is not good enough, because then it has a threaded barrel which still counts as an evil feature. You'll need to have a muzzle brake/compensator pinned to the barrel before bringing it in.

got it, also I have never been to fond of my upper receiver, and was wondering if it would be beneficial to me if I just sold my upper here in California and just bought an upper in MA or is it best to come over with a full AR instead?

got it, also I have never been to fond of my upper receiver, and was wondering if it would be beneficial to me if I just sold my upper here in California and just bought an upper in MA or is it best to come over with a full AR instead?

You have the bullet button mag release? As before stated, you can get rid of that here in MA. Regarding the flash hider- yeah, give it away and have either a brake / comp pinned and welded on or a thread protector pinned and welded on.

As far as your upper goes, they are like Legos and you can change what you don't like. If you have a milligram of mechanical aptitude and a few relatively inexpensive tools, you can rework the entire upper. Also you can get help here if you need it. Due to the current covid mess and political situation, I'd just keep your upper and not deal with the hassle of finding a replacement.

What part of Mass will you settle? I'm in a small city in the N Central part. Though I came here from Tennessee, I'm originally from Ventura County and still have family in SoCal. Though certainly in the bottom pile, Mass is not the worst for 2A and definitely better than California. So long as you don't move into a very 'anti' city or town, getting a LTC isn't a problem, just an inconvenience that's unnecessary in any free state.

So long as you don't move into a very 'anti' city or town, getting a LTC isn't a problem, just an inconvenience that's unnecessary in any free state.
The + side is that 92% of LTCs allow concealed carry in all but a few places (schools, surface of water within 500ft of logan, federally prohibited places) and we do not have binding singage.

The - side is that they can be revoked or denied without anything resembling due process or the presumption of innocence.

Take the friggin gun apart, put a trigger lock on the receiver, put it in a locked case in a locked trunk, put it in a locked safe in the house and take Len's course. That will save us another 1142 posts on this. Jack.

You have the bullet button mag release? As before stated, you can get rid of that here in MA. Regarding the flash hider- yeah, give it away and have either a brake / comp pinned and welded on or a thread protector pinned and welded on.

As far as your upper goes, they are like Legos and you can change what you don't like. If you have a milligram of mechanical aptitude and a few relatively inexpensive tools, you can rework the entire upper. Also you can get help here if you need it. Due to the current covid mess and political situation, I'd just keep your upper and not deal with the hassle of finding a replacement.

What part of Mass will you settle? I'm in a small city in the N Central part. Though I came here from Tennessee, I'm originally from Ventura County and still have family in SoCal. Though certainly in the bottom pile, Mass is not the worst for 2A and definitely better than California. So long as you don't move into a very 'anti' city or town, getting a LTC isn't a problem, just an inconvenience that's unnecessary in any free state.

most likely will be living in Quincy, not sure yet since we haven’t received hard dates from the relocation company. But we’re thinking somewhere in Suffolk or Norfolk County

most likely will be living in Quincy, not sure yet since we haven’t received hard dates from the relocation company. But we’re thinking somewhere in Suffolk or Norfolk County

If you do settle in Suffolk county, avoid Boston proper (which includes Allston, Jamaica Plain, etc.). There is a separate, more restrictive AWB for the city of Boston (see other sticky in this section).

Take the friggin gun apart, put a trigger lock on the receiver, put it in a locked case in a locked trunk, put it in a locked safe in the house and take Len's course. That will save us another 1142 posts on this. Jack.

This thread was quite helpful to me when I moved here in late 2010. I didn't have any questions to post at that time but I think this thread's a pretty good place to do so, rather than starting up a bazillion new threads. Regardless, nice to have another pro 2A person moving into Mass.

one other question is, ammo. Should I just leave/sell it?

really appreciate everyone’s feedback and help.

Lastly, I have an 80% that I never completed. Is it pretty much paper weight at this point?

Yes, it's a paperweight with all the freedoms / restrictions of a paperweight. You can pack with any other odds and ends.

Ammo I would keep, but I don't know how to transport. I don't think many if any airlines will allow you to check it. Perhaps ship to yourself somehow or ship to someone you know?

Yes, it's a paperweight with all the freedoms / restrictions of a paperweight. You can pack with any other odds and ends.

Ammo I would keep, but I don't know how to transport. I don't think many if any airlines will allow you to check it. Perhaps ship to yourself somehow or ship to someone you know?
It's only a paperweight if you believe in "make-believe law because I say so". Very many are building ARs with 80% and registering them with no ill effects. If one is that scared of the AG, they shouldn't own any guns/ammo because she can declare anything to be illegal any day of the week.

Ammo must be shipped UPS or FedEx ground only with an ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition label or the equivalent international symbol label. It is NOT haz-mat, so no up-charge. It must be shipped at one of their depots, not from a retail store. You ship it to yourself.

It's only a paperweight if you believe in "make-believe law because I say so". Very many are building ARs with 80% and registering them with no ill effects. If one is that scared of the AG, they shouldn't own any guns/ammo because she can declare anything to be illegal any day of the week.

Ammo must be shipped UPS or FedEx ground only with an ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition label or the equivalent international symbol label. It is NOT haz-mat, so no up-charge. It must be shipped at one of their depots, not from a retail store. You ship it to yourself.

Paper weight comment meaning there are no restrictions for an 80%. Its a chunk of metal.

Paper weight comment meaning there are no restrictions for an 80%. Its a chunk of metal.
The way you wrote it implied to me that he couldn't legally build it. That's what I disagree with. Those that are scared of the AG and her made-up "law" pulled out of her ass, will likely feel differently.

I was under the impression that TSA would allow ammunition to be checked in so long as it meets storage and weight requirement?

I was under the impression that TSA would allow ammunition to be checked in so long as it meets storage and weight requirement?
Regardless of TSA, many airlines won't accept ammo.
Airlines can be a PITA about ammo in spite of their own tariffs or TSA allowances.

IIRC the limit on a plane is 11# of ammo. I can't imagine anyone moving to MA with <11# of ammo.

Regardless of TSA, many airlines won't accept ammo.
Airlines can be a PITA about ammo in spite of their own tariffs or TSA allowances.

IIRC the limit on a plane is 11# of ammo. I can't imagine anyone moving to MA with <11# of ammo.

Because we'll be living in corporate housing for the first 30 days we get to MA I won't have an actual address. This will make it an issue in getting my driver license transferred over to MA and will that be an issue when applying for my LTC?

Back
Top Bottom