Moving from MA to NH (I hope I hope!)

doobie

Banned
So, I will hopefully be moving to S. NH in the next 3-6 months. I have some questions I'd like to get clarified that I couldn't find answers for.

The situation is that I will likely rent in NH while trying to sell my house in MA. My guns will likely move to NH as soon as I transport my safe. I'll probably live in both the house and rental until my house is sold.

1) I don't have any C&R's yet. Do I need to inform the BATFE of the move before I even get an apartment? Or just one month before I cease living at my current residency? Will I need to send out new copies of C&R licenses to companies once I move?

2) Can I apply for the Non-res LTC after I get an apartment but before I inform my CLEO/whomever that I moved and give up my current LTC? I'm technically a dual resident... which one carries more weight?

3) Am I likely going to be able to replace my MA Res LTC-A ALP with a MA Non-Res LTC-A ALP?

4) Will I have problems with carrying in NH with a non-res lic after getting an apartment? Aka, will they expire it because I moved to NH? (This one I may one for the NH gun law forum)

5) I'm a member of a gun club in MA, if I decide not to pay the extortion fees for a NR LTC in MA is there a way for me to visit the club still with my own toys? Aka, can I just keep everything locked in my car until I get there? Would this rule only apply if I'm going to the range, like could I go to the range then go to work then go back to NH?

6) Would I need to hold off NH plates/lic until I took care of my MA LTC?

Basics are I want to make sure I handle everything as smoothly and legally as possible and can at least carry OC in MA and not be disarmed just because I move to a free state.

Anything else I should keep in mind/be worried about?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry if these were brought up before, but I didn't see an answer in the MA Gun Law threads.
PPS: Don't worry I'll still support GOAL!

Congrats in advance!!

The key to ALL your questions is that you need a "permanent residence" before you can apply for anything, notify anyone, etc.

If you are in MA even part-time, I don't see anyone busting your chops with your Resident LTC/C&R in MA and your NR NH Permit gives you full privs in NH except for buying pistols.

Once you get a permanent NH address, notify BATFE on C&R, notify CHSB/issuing PD, file for a NR LTC (MA) and file for your Residential NH Permit. What order you do this in takes some thought and I'll let others address this.

AFAIK MA only issues LTC-A unrestricted to NRs.

My understanding of the process of getting a Resident NH Permit is such that it takes less than a week. Only NH Public Safety can answer legality of your NR permit once you declare your move.

MGLs does NOT permit anyone visiting MA with pistols except three circumstances: LEO, attending a "match" or attending a gun show or exhibition. So if you don't have a valid MA LTC, you can't bring handguns into MA to "just go shooting". The law is less strict on long guns, but I don't recall them. It's been covered here before, so I recommend searching MA Gun Laws forum (use Advanced Search for that forum only) on rifles or some-such and see if you can find it here.

What NH needs to issue a Resident Permit is probably up to your local chief (e.g. lease, utility bills, DL, etc.). I'll let some other "escapees" address that with a lot more knowledge than I have about NH.

Last edited:
My NH resident permit took 4 days from application to license in hand. You dont even need one to own or open carry, just to conceal carry or transport loaded as far as I know.

Im in the application process but my understanding is that nonres MA LTC are issued by the state and are basically "Shall issue"....ive never heard of a nonresident receiving a restricted nonres MA permit, but i may be wrong.

I honestly dont even remember showing any proof of residence when I applied for my NH permit. I dont even think they looked at my license. I assume they check on all that stuff when you apply, so im not much help there.

Ill let the experts advise on legality of permits in that interim time or the order to do things in....

2) Can I apply for the Non-res LTC after I get an apartment but before I inform my CLEO/whomever that I moved and give up my current LTC? I'm technically a dual resident... which one carries more weight?

A common misconception, but be advised:

Except where a statute or reg explicitly provides for "dual residency", and then only for the purposes for which the statute so provides, there is no such thing as "dual residency."

You are a resident of where you are a resident until you change your residence, and, at common law, you change your residence ONLY by physically moving to a new abode with a present intention to reside at that new abode for the indefinite future.

Back
Top Bottom