Motorist with 16 guns, ammo arrested at LA airport

Apparently it is now illegal to bring guns onto airport grounds in LAX. I would love to know what laws this guy broke.

Jan 9th, 2009 | LOS ANGELES -- A motorist with 16 guns and at least 700 rounds of ammunition in his pickup truck was arrested Friday at a vehicle checkpoint as he entered Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said.

The weapons and ammunition were in a container in the back of the man's truck, which was stopped by airport police officers at a major entrance to the passenger terminals area, said airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles.

The 47-year-old man's identity was not immediately released.

Only one of the weapons, a revolver, was loaded, airport police Sgt. Jim Holcomb said.

The man was arrested for investigation of felony transporation of an assault rifle, he said.

Police initially reported that 37 weapons were found in the truck. Castles said that count was an estimate based on the number of containers in the truck, which did not all contain weapons.

Holcomb said there was no indication the man was out to do any harm at the airport and was apparently there to pick up someone.

"He just made a very bad decision and should not have been carrying those weapons," Holcomb said.

Airport police routinely set up vehicle checkpoints at roads leading into the airport's central ring roads, but Castles said it is rare to find so many weapons at once.

The FBI, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and Los Angeles Police Department are investigating whether the weapons were properly registered.

Sure will be interesting if he turns out to be one of the people who got the grandfathered assault weapons registration papers :).

700+ pounds of ammo. He must have been planning on spending a few hours at the range.

Apparently it is now illegal to bring guns onto airport grounds in LAX. I would love to know what laws this guy broke.

Ok, here they are:

1. Can't have loaded guns in vehicle
2. Handgun must be locked up. Since it was a pickup truck, they weren't in a trunk and he probably didn't have them in lock boxes
3. I *think* there is a law in CA saying that if you have a handgun in your vehicle, you must be heading to/from a range, hunting ground, or other legal destination. In other words, you can't use it as your trunk gun.

Ok, here they are:

1. Can't have loaded guns in vehicle
2. Handgun must be locked up. Since it was a pickup truck, they weren't in a trunk and he probably didn't have them in lock boxes
3. I *think* there is a law in CA saying that if you have a handgun in your vehicle, you must be heading to/from a range, hunting ground, or other legal destination. In other words, you can't use it as your trunk gun.

CA has an MA style ccw statute so he could have been licensed, but they don't say otherwise. So again, what laws did he break???

Holcomb said there was no indication the man was out to do any harm at the airport and was apparently there to pick up someone.

Glad to know it's a felon to not be out to do any harm.

Dumb question: at what point does a police officer have the right to search your vehicle? After he asks you to step out of your car, or does he have to actually arrest you first? And, does that matter on "private" property, which LAX is (I think)?

Dumb question: at what point does a police officer have the right to search your vehicle? After he asks you to step out of your car, or does he have to actually arrest you first? And, does that matter on "private" property, which LAX is (I think)?

Depends on the situation. I won't consent to anyone searching my car regardless of what they will do to me. I goofed last time and they searched my wallet, but next time I will hopefully remember to say, "I do not consent to that, if you continue you are in violation of my 4th amendment rights."

The sad truth is this: Depending on what kind of rifle it was IE if its on the Roberti Roos list or the Kasler list and it wasn't registered then the guy is in some hot water, BUT if the Rifle (notice I didn't say Assault Weapon) was not on the list and not configured in accordance to SB23 then he also could be in some hot water.

On the other hand if it was Configured in accordance with SB23 the cops that hassled his are blowing smoke up just about everyone's ass.

Only the man arrested and the Cop that seized the so called evidence know what the truth is and its only speculation on anyone's part to formulate any theory until the facts are known.

Ya see the majority of LEO's in Nazifornia dont know the laws that they are tasked to enforce when it comes to firearms and the so called Top Cop the California DOJ knows the law but will not educate the LEO and or LE Agencies within California.

Here is the thread on that liberal POS Politically correct gun board.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=143868

Here is the interactive flow chart for those that want to know what a Assault Weapon is.
http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

Pics of the cops haul..
laxfirearms2ue7.jpg

laxfirearms3vh2.jpg

laxfirearms7mn2.jpg

Key word in red below...
The man was arrested for investigation of felony
transporation of an Assault Weapon , he said.

Maybe SAS can clue us in on this.

Last edited:
Is it illegal to have a gun (whether carried or locked up) if someone is going to Logan to pick up or drop off someone? (I'm not talking about going through the secure area to the gate.)

If this is the case how does one check in (Declare a rifle or pistol in a case) as luggage ?

When they fly with a gun in checked baggage ?

Is it illegal to have a gun (whether carried or locked up) if someone is going to Logan to pick up or drop off someone? (I'm not talking about going through the secure area to the gate.)

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_11416883
20090109_055402_gunslax.jpg

Last edited:
OK, does anything about this stuff strike anyone as a little bit too 'tacticool', maybe crossing over into "mall ninja"? You've got the holosight, the laser, the flashlight, forward grip-pod, on the M14. It's kind of embarassing...

Key word in red below...

The man was arrested for investigation of felony transportation of an assault rifle, he said.

Right. So is there some law that allows LE to hold a "suspect" for "investigation"? I would think (hope and or pray) that if he was arrested, California still subscribes to the rule of Probable Cause.

He most likely opened his mouth when pulled over and was asked questions by what ever LE agency was manning the LAX checkpoint.

And in general California LEO's aren't real clear when and where the rule of probable cause starts.

If he was nervous that was most likely enough for them to ask more probing questions and then they had him.

Just IMO and from my dealings with LEO's in PRC.

Lots of things can lead to PC and or RS Reasonable Suspicion in California welcome to Orwell's 1984.

With the patriot act and the mentality of most LEO's across the country any citizen with a firearm is suspect in their eyes.

Right. So is there some law that allows LE to hold a "suspect" for "investigation"? I would think (hope and or pray) that if he was arrested, California still subscribes to the rule of Probable Cause.

Here are some phone numbers if anyone wants to attempt to get more info
LAX Airport Police (310) 646 - 4268. LAX Public Relations 424 646 5260

Last edited:
That's an impressive collection of tacticool gear there. I don't doubt his story at all, but I do wonder why he has so many at once for a range trip. I like to bring 1-2 guns at a time, 3 max (and no more than 1 of each type of gun), so that each gun can get the quality time that it deserves. Plus who really wants to clean 16 guns in a row?

Just checked that calguns site. This was posted. f***ing incompetence and the oh shit factor of lots of guns but apparently they found a minor thing to get him on.
here's what he posted on pbnation.com

Get the facts before you open your hole

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a avid shooter and shoot twice a week, all of the guns are registered to me including the assault weapons. all of the guns were lock in approved DOJ containers made for transporting guns, not to mention that they were all locked in the back of truck.. There is no law against bringing guns to the airport as long as they are declared. which I did. I was cleared by the ATF and the FBI on site..there was so much brass out there form all of the law angencys there was no way that I was not getting arrested for something.

after 10 hours of looking they finaling found a law that I broke..when you have registered assalt weapons, you are allowed to have them, shoot them, you just cant drive any where other than to and from the range.. I went to pick up chris cole from the airport, then we were going shooting from there.

he is in town to play the OSC with me and fridge.

so all of you haters keep on hating, what you should really be hating on is your 2nd Admendent being trampled on in the name of law enforcement.

Tell me, what good does it do to make guns laws as stupid as that one.. do you think for one minute that the bad guys are going to follow it..I bet you this is the first case where a non gang member/ non ex felon/non bank robbing guy gets prosecuted for a gun law made for outlaws

Phil

Those are almost certainly "assault weapons" in CA. It is possible that the AR-15s are not (although the LA cops wouldn't know it) because he has bullet buttons installed in them, but certainly the M1A with the forward pistol grip is one.

That is probably the main law that he broke.

OK, does anything about this stuff strike anyone as a little bit too 'tacticool', maybe crossing over into "mall ninja"? You've got the holosight, the laser, the flashlight, forward grip-pod, on the M14. It's kind of embarassing...

I agree. A lot of that stuff is not that practical. I have pretty poor eyesight, and put a holosight on a bushmaster to have it set up for personal defense in an SHTF situation. I took it to the range one day, and ended up taking the sight off after I figured I had forgot to change the battery and it was dead. Well, imagine 3AM, pitch black, bad guys busting in a door, pushing the holosight "on" switch, and getting....nothing! Donned on me that all that technical "junk" was more for show and not for substance. I switched over to some tritium iron sights, and now know the "battery" will not run out when needed!

Last edited:
I agree. A lot of that stuff is not that practical. I have pretty poor eyesight, and put a holosight on a bushmaster to have it set up for personal defense in an SHTF situation. I took it to the range one day, and ended up taking the sight off after I figured I had forgot to change the battery and it was dead. Well, imagine 3AM, pitch black, bad guys busting in a door, pushing the holosight "on" switch, and getting....nothing! Donned on me that all that technical "junk" was more for show and not for substance. I switched over to some tritium iron sights, and now know the "battery" will not run out when needed!

You should treat the electronic sight on your home defense/SHTF gun like you would your smoke detectors. Test and change the batteries regularly. Change them in the spring and fall like you (or should) change the detector batteries.

Yeah, I know that. But I also know that I forget stuff like that. I also know that even with good batteries, stuff that is too fancy is prone to failure. I chose to simplify!

With all the crap that goes on with airports and weapons and such, and him stating that he knew there would be quite a few top brass around.. why would someone pack up that many tacticool weapons and drive to the airport?

I can understand upholding your rights and such but I also would like to think that common sense should play a big part in your actions.

With all the crap that goes on with airports and weapons and such, and him stating that he knew there would be quite a few top brass around.. why would someone pack up that many tacticool weapons and drive to the airport?

I can understand upholding your rights and such but I also would like to think that common sense should play a big part in your actions.

Reread what he wrote. It was after he was arrested when he saw the brass and he realized then they were going to find something to nail him with.

Did he hurt somebody? The answer of course is no.

Back
Top Bottom