Motorcyclists Who Carry

Just wondering how many of us are out there that carry (legally) while we ride. If you do, what kind of holster do you use or how do you keep it concealed while tucked in the riding position. I ride a sportbike and roll with my SIG 239.

carry on goldwing

I roll out on the Goldwing with a brand new S&W 1911 Scandium with crimson grips in a custom galco leather rig and 2 extra mags.
ooops was that out load[smile][wink]

I have a shoulder rig for my P239. It's nothing crazy or expensive but it does the trick. It's an Uncle Mike's Nylon Holster. I can wear that without a problem. If you wear a jacket or my preference a zippered hoodie you can have quick access and don't have to worry about printing or having your gun pop out from under your shirt.

honest question

I hear a lot about printing from eveyone on here and I am pretty sure I know what it is but my question is, as long as it is covered what is the big deal with an outline or buldge. I am not trying to be a smartass here but just want to know if I am missing something. I know the outline is not exactly clear so is there a real problem with it. also I carry and extra mag at times in the lower pocket of my carpenter shorts, now yes you can see the bottom of the mag but I honestly believe that most people never even know what the black plastic thing is they are looking at.
please don,t get me wrong I am not trying to be careless but I just don't think it is that big of a deal.
feel free to enlighten me

I have a shoulder rig for my P239. It's nothing crazy or expensive but it does the trick. It's an Uncle Mike's Nylon Holster. I can wear that without a problem. If you wear a jacket or my preference a zippered hoodie you can have quick access and don't have to worry about printing or having your gun pop out from under your shirt.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that would you? I assume yours is a single carry. I've been looking for a double carry shoulder harness, hopefully I can find one that will fit my P226 as well as the 239. Worst case scenario, I just get another 239 0r 226 [smile]

When I go out, I wear a Galco Miami Classic II for my Para Ord .45 LTC. It is comfy, it is adjustable to the jackets I ride with, spring, light jean jacket or leather, summer, usually a vest ( Fits perfect and doesn't print believe it or not), and fall, usually the same as spring. I like it because I can carry 2 mags, or an extra mag and a utility tool knife. I guess my biggest fear was with an IWB holster, if I ever need to stop or get stopped, that when I dis-mount that my shirt or jacket, would ride over and create a world of trouble I don't need. The other part is that of the fear of, although slim as a chance, it might, on a long ride, wiggle out of the holster some how. So rather than worry about it, I went with a shoulder rig. Plus, if I go to a wedding or have to wear a suit, it fits nice, that is only if I do not plan on taking the sport jacket off. That is just my .02 cents.

I hear a lot about printing from eveyone on here and I am pretty sure I know what it is but my question is, as long as it is covered what is the big deal with an outline or buldge. I am not trying to be a smartass here but just want to know if I am missing something. I know the outline is not exactly clear so is there a real problem with it. also I carry and extra mag at times in the lower pocket of my carpenter shorts, now yes you can see the bottom of the mag but I honestly believe that most people never even know what the black plastic thing is they are looking at.
please don,t get me wrong I am not trying to be careless but I just don't think it is that big of a deal.

I ride into Boston alot to meet up with friends so I don't want to give any police officer any reason to stop me. It would just be an added hassle I don't need. All my stuff is legal but Mass is what it is. Aside from that I don't want everyone knowing that I carry. I keep an extra mag in my jeans pocket but they are baggy enough so that you wouldn't know. Your question IMHO is legitimate. I like you am just trying to learn.

honest opinion

IMHO, and as been told to me by an LEO friend, printing a hand gun is sometimes, depending on the town and officer, considered brandishing a weapon. Most people are to into them selves, to really pay attention, but some, mostly LEO's and armed citizens, and a small population of the general public will notice. Although their is no law banning OC in MA, OC and printing is highly frowned upon. The unwritten law, and a good rule of thumb is NO OC or Printing allowed. When my wife and I had gone down to pick up our LTC's at the station, part of the conversation we had to have with the LEO was, and I quote" You have a concealed weapons permit, concealed means concealed, we don't want to see it, we don't want to know you have it, and we don't want other people to know you have a weapon. If we can see it or parts of it thru your clothes, guess what, it is not concealed." Of course, me needing to know the cost of the mistake, I was told that "You very well could have one of the worst experiences with the cops you ever want to have." He did say some LEO's don't make a big deal about it, but some if not most will do some not so nice things, like cuffs, and rides in cruisers, and court time. So good rule of thumb, take care not to do it. You really do not need the trouble. Find loose fitting clothes to the degree you feel comfortable, and cover your side arm. If you like having your permit, and want to keep it, just don't do it. Sucks, yes, but this is MA, and your freedoms are at the will and given as a gift by people who are so much smarter and know what is best for you, so don't doubt their wisdom and better judgment. ( Yes that was meant to be funny, but is so close to the truth as to how they think it is scary). Best of luck with your firearms and shoot safe friend.

Last edited:
yeah, I get all that, but my bigger concern is what happens if I go down. A CCW in the wrong place can reaalllly be painful if it's between you and the road, a slidin'. It's hard to determine the best spot to carry, but near the ribs isn't a good first choice DAMHIK.

S&W 637 in the front pocket, or a Kahr K9 in an IWB holster - a vest covers the K9 very well. And of course, my jackets are long enough that they're well below my waistline - no riding up.

Vanson in Fall River make a few jackets that have a leather-lined gun pocket just inside the zipper. Carrying over your gut will at least ensure you don't have steel impacting your bones as you bounce down the road.

When I did ride, I carried, under the jacket, a 16 ga single 9" bbl with pistol grip. (NFA registered, of course) in a shoulder holster. The theory was that if some bastard ran me off the road, I might be able to get a round of 00 buck into his rear window. Jack.

Although their is no law banning OC in MA, OC and printing is highly frowned upon. "You very well could have one of the worst experiences with the cops you ever want to have." He did say some LEO's don't make a big deal about it, but some if not most will do some not so nice things, like cuffs, and rides in cruisers, and court time.

Imagine that ....... All this for not committing a crime [sad]
Things have got to change [angry]

I have a Vanson jacket with an inner pocket to carry my SW snubbie...or
Glock 23, and sometimes I pocket carry with a holster with the same revolver wearing large pocket carpenter jeans...depends if I plan on stopping or not to
take my jacket off.

2002 Yamaha 1100 Classic

Last edited:
I do a glock 26 on my Interceptor. IWB seems to work ok, use a Vanson, but not with a gun liner. Sometimes I just put the piece and the galco in a jacket pocket.
I don't carry all the time, it is a worry how it will "impact" if you have a getoff.

ace57

If you do happen to dump your bike and you have your arms down by your side when you hit pavement that gun shouldn't demolish your ribs. If you dump your bike and your arms are waving up in the air and your ribs meet pavement... hate to say it but you're screwed anyway. If you do grab a shoulder rig grab one where the gun of the barrel points straight down. I remember I even wore my shoulder rig under a dress shirt that was tucked in to a New Year's party and I was fine. My Uncle Mike's rig fits my Sig P239, A Sig Mosquito (which has a full frame like a 226/229), and a Glock 17. Now that's only what I've tried. It also has a velcro'd pouch for a spare mag. Here's a file photo.

propak_vert_shoulder_holste.jpg

I use a Bianchi thumb lock to carry my Sig P220 or Sig Pro on my waist. I tend to OC in NH, but when in MA, it all fits under a vest or mesh riding coat.

When carrying concealed on a bike, where do folks secure their guns when they encounter a place that doesn't allow admittance with a gun?

Lockable saddle bags? Other options?

I use a Bianchi thumb lock to carry my Sig P220 or Sig Pro on my waist. I tend to OC in NH, but when in MA, it all fits under a vest or mesh riding coat.

I currently use a Bianchi thumb lock to carry my 239. I originally bought it for my 226 but I tried the 239 in it and it fits perfectly. I've taken the 239 (safe & clear) in the holster and shaken (not stirred) it upside down vigorously and the 239 is secure with no chance of slipping out.

Mashole,

Thank you very much for the pic of the shoulder harness. I may be picking one up today. I appreciate the feedback.

I've been thinking of getting a shoulder holster for this reason, I usualy ride with a IWB defense systems holster. but I usualy get nervouse of my shirt flying up. maybe a pocket snubbie is my answer. good reason for a new purchase [smile]

If you do happen to dump your bike and you have your arms down by your side when you hit pavement that gun shouldn't demolish your ribs. If you dump your bike and your arms are waving up in the air and your ribs meet pavement... hate to say it but you're screwed anyway. If you do grab a shoulder rig grab one where the gun of the barrel points straight down. I remember I even wore my shoulder rig under a dress shirt that was tucked in to a New Year's party and I was fine. My Uncle Mike's rig fits my Sig P239, A Sig Mosquito (which has a full frame like a 226/229), and a Glock 17. Now that's only what I've tried. It also has a velcro'd pouch for a spare mag. Here's a file photo.

propak_vert_shoulder_holste.jpg

Are you using a size 1 or 15? I went to the site but they have two apps that might fit. I'd rather not have to return one. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom