• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Motorcycle permit.

Go take the test and pass. You get your permit. At this point you can ride whatever. No one on the back or at night.

As others said. Take the MFS class. Even if you know how to ride its worth it. I started riding at 7. Took the class when I decided to get my license. You get to practice on their nice small bikes. When you pass the class (most people do) that counts as your road test. Had a woman in my class crash and she still managed to pass. No need to go to the RMV and have some angry trooper watch you ride. You also get a break on your insurance.

Like my M/C riding instructor told me many years ago, you're either riding to an accident or away from one but you will have one eventually.
It’s been 17 years since my accident and the stupidity on the road has gotten 10 times worse. I wouldn’t ride again if you paid me.

Also, for the love of all things, DON'T run your high beams during the daytime!! I want to give anyone on a motorcycle that does this a double nut-punch. Same for people in cars running with high beams during the daytime (or when there are other vehicles that will be hit by it).

Absolutely agree. There are two types of riders. Those that have dropped their bike and those that will drop their bike. It's just a matter of when and how bad. That said buy a bike and have fun!!

Granted I only rode for 5 years, but I never dropped my bike. Now it sits happily in my basement.

Also, wearing all the protective gear made it substantially less enjoyable. Part of the reason I prefer the wrangler or mustang vert now.

Don't be one of those squids who rides in shorts and a tank top. Buy some riding gear. Boots, pants, Jack, gloves, helmet, ear plugs....
What's the old saying? Dress for the slide, not for the ride.
This. Just like carrying a gun. Plan for the worst. Hope to never have to use it.

Saw some bozo on a Harley this weekend......he had leather on, but what I assume was his very young kid on the back in shorts and a wife beater thin t shirt. He was in front of me ripping around on RT 2A speeding and swerving. Dumb. First off...a kid that age I would never take on bike, second....put some safety equipment on him if your gonna. For the record, Ive never driven either of my kids on my bike, they've asked....but if anything ever happened to them, I'd never forgive myself.

Take the course, get some insight on people that have ridden, listen to the stories, heed the warnings, approach every intersection like the car doesn't see you.

I don't ride alot...mostly just to work. 2-4K miles a year depending on the weather. The older I get the less I ride in cold mornings.

That said, I've nearly been killed twice. Once by a guy talking on his cell where he drifted into my lane and I gave his door a steel toe boot, and woke him up. The other, as I was approaching and intersection and the guy never saw me, but thank christ did at the last second because his window was open and he heard my tire squeal......and stopped....I had locked my rear wheel and my mind was thinking of when I wanted to start my slide. Neither of these were my fault, but I was going too fast approaching that intersection, and should have slowed way down to make sure that guy saw me first.

Good luck and be careful, lot of cell phone texting morons out there.

I started with a "starter bike' Yamaha 750 inline 4 I bought for 600 dollars, drove that for 2 years then sold it for what I paid for it. Then bought a lightly used 1200 Sporty which some here would call a starter bike. But wife never wanted to ride and I never wanted to spend a lot of money doing it so it works for me for the limited use it sees. Why would I want to spend thousands or have a payment on something I use infrequently that sitting in the garage half the year? Anyway, my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Also and a bit off subject... June 17th is the 100th Loudon Classic. I used to race in this series. They really stepped it up for this year. $55k to the winner. 250k purse overall. Biggest payout this year for any motorcycle racing in this country. It is getting some big name entries from around the country. I'm going to try to be there to watch.

Neither of these were my fault, but I was going too fast approaching that intersection, and should have slowed way down to make sure that guy saw me first.
Out here in Missouri, almost every auto has really dark tinted windows which I hate. They aren't legal but the cops around here seem to let just about everything slide when it comes to motor vehicles. I try to make eye contact with drivers who are coming up to intersections but it's impossible most of the time due to the dark windows. I just know someday some a**h*** is going to pull out in front of me or make a left hand turn in front of me.

Also and a bit off subject... June 17th is the 100th Loudon Classic. I used to race in this series. They really stepped it up for this year. $55k to the winner. 250k purse overall. Biggest payout this year for any motorcycle racing in this country. It is getting some big name entries from around the country. I'm going to try to be there to watch.

I was seriously considering coming up for this but I don't think it's in the cards this year unfortunately. I've been there every year since 1982 and seen it all at the Weirs (I mean "all"). This will be the second year since then that I won't be there...the only other year I didn't make it was the "covid" year where really no one was there anyway. To all those going, have fun and be careful. I've heard through the grapevine that there's a strong possibility that it's going to be a "rambunctious" rally. Carry concealed if you can. I always did anyway.

Out here in Missouri, almost every auto has really dark tinted windows which I hate. They aren't legal but the cops around here seem to let just about everything slide when it comes to motor vehicles. I try to make eye contact with drivers who are coming up to intersections but it's impossible most of the time due to the dark windows. I just know someday some a**h*** is going to pull out in front of me or make a left hand turn in front of me.
If I can't see make sure the driver is looking my way.....I'm just continually looking at the front tires to see if they start rolling.

In the case above.....the driver was looking my way, which is why didn't slow down more.....but even that....some people just don't expect a bike or look past it or something. I've done it my self a time or two. I have to think about that a few times when I come down to visit my daughter in SC from up north here, and realize that there are people on bikes down there in the winter.......and I haven't seen one up here since November.

My son, who’d done a lot of dirt riding, breezed through the BRC.

BRC Instructors are usually really dedicated and really experienced. So the course is more engaging than you’d expect.

We buy most of our riding gear on eBay, lots of once worn gear that didn’t fit. Usually half price.

My son, who’d done a lot of dirt riding, breezed through the BRC.

BRC Instructors are usually really dedicated and really experienced. So the course is more engaging than you’d expect.

We buy most of our riding gear on eBay, lots of once worn gear that didn’t fit. Usually half price.

Experienced dirt riders transition to street skills quickly from already possessing excellent rider / motorcycle standing manipulation "balance" skills.

Experienced Street riders only transitioning to off road is more of a difficulty as most all street riders never "get off the seat" (at least intentionally)

Get a good helmet and gear. It's not a car where you have a metal shell around you. It's just you and the pavement,
Always look and scan. Predict what could go wrong, the guy pulling out of his driveway, changing lanes, etc.
Every time I approached a guy ready to pull onto the road ahead of me, I backed off the throttle and was ready on the brakes.
They don't see you, they're looking out for cars. Once a guy looked at me while pulling out. I had a car on my left. I had backed off but the only way I avoided a collision as he pulled out was to swerve into the breakdown lane.
My wife used to tell me "Think of them as out to get you."
I had a 1400cc V twin Suzuki S83. My wife told me that the day I rode it to a shop for sale was the happiest time she saw on it.
At my age, healing was just too hard.

If I can't see make sure the driver is looking my way.....I'm just continually looking at the front tires to see if they start rolling.

In the case above.....the driver was looking my way, which is why didn't slow down more.....but even that....some people just don't expect a bike or look past it or something. I've done it my self a time or two. I have to think about that a few times when I come down to visit my daughter in SC from up north here, and realize that there are people on bikes down there in the winter.......and I haven't seen one up here since November.
Yeah. We really don’t have much winter down here. I ride all year round comfortably.

I used to ride in the winter in new england but it required gear and a certain mindset.

I wear an armored mesh jacket for riding in Georgia year round.

Also, for the love of all things, DON'T run your high beams during the daytime!! I want to give anyone on a motorcycle that does this a double nut-punch. Same for people in cars running with high beams during the daytime (or when there are other vehicles that will be hit by it).
reeses-not-sorry-large-3.jpg

I disagree, this is cheap enough might as well get it for a first bike if its what he wants
My first bike was a brand new super glide custom. Took the test at a free safety course for veterans on a 250 Cc one lung Honda and 2 weeks later rode home on the new Harley. Never had a problem......awesome experience. So glad I didn't listen to all the pusses that told me to buy a 500 or 600cc for my first bike.

And before the Harley bashers chime in......the bike was totally reliable. Summers I rode it as a commuter......if it wasn't raining I was riding.....150 miles round trip. Plus long weekend trips every now and then. Put 48k on thay bike in 3 years and only changed oil and tires.

Last edited:
Same goes for those damned m/c modulating headlights. [banghead]

They are incredibly distracting. I was riding with a guy a few years back that had that on his HD...I slowed down to let him pass me so he could be in front of me because it was driving me nucking futz. I think I hurt his feelings when I told him that that contraption sucks the big wazoo.

Same goes for those damned m/c modulating headlights. [banghead]

They are incredibly distracting. I was riding with a guy a few years back that had that on his HD...I slowed down to let him pass me so he could be in front of me because it was driving me nucking futz. I think I hurt his feelings when I told him that that contraption sucks the big wazoo.
It amazes me how some riders think that putting their high beams on during the day makes them safer.
IME, it's makes things MORE dangerous. Basically, you're f*ckin BLINDING me with your headlight as I'm coming towards you and can't see shit. HOW is that safer for anyone? They should put the intelligent headlight system on motorcycles too. That way, when it's SAFE to use high beams, they go on and you don't need to do anything.

It amazes me how some riders think that putting their high beams on during the day makes them safer.
IME, it's makes things MORE dangerous. Basically, you're f*ckin BLINDING me with your headlight as I'm coming towards you and can't see shit. HOW is that safer for anyone? They should put the intelligent headlight system on motorcycles too. That way, when it's SAFE to use high beams, they go on and you don't need to do anything.
If I'm coming up to a car at an intersection and I don't know if they've seen me, I'll either waggle the front end of the bike a bit or do a quick lo/hi/lo headlight flash. Around here with everyone sporting very dark glass on their cars, I do it quite often.

If I'm coming up to a car at an intersection and I don't know if they've seen me, I'll either waggle the front end of the bike a bit or do a quick lo/hi/lo headlight flash. Around here with everyone sporting very dark glass on their cars, I do it quite often.
I waggle the front end if I'm not sure they see me but I stopped flashing my lights since its also a signal you're letting someone go.

I waggle the front end if I'm not sure they see me but I stopped flashing my lights since its also a signal you're letting someone go.
Hmmm...I never thought of that. Good thing I do it very infrequently as my hi/lo switch is a PITA to get to on my bike.

Go to the rmv, take the permit test, once you've got the permit you can drive but only during the day. Then at some point take the road test, which really isnt much, mine was "go down there, do a u turn without falling off, feet touching the ground or hitting a curb and come back" on a side street with an rmv guy standing nearby watching. Literally. Then you can drive at night. I've had a motorcycle license for 20+ years, never been in an accident, just assume EVERYONE on the road is drunk, high, or just stupid and is about to pull out in front of you and be ready for it. Everyone. And it happened to me ~very first~ ride this year ... again, was ready for it ... again.

Took it back in my 20s and it probably kept me alive. I took a good number of years off riding but I’m back on two wheels now and the fundamentals are still with me because of it.

I’m also a big believer in riding gear. Buy a good helmet, gloves, and jacket - and always wear them!

OP: If you mean the Permit Test, they don't just ask about motorcycle stuff. When I took it, (years ago), I got a question about child seats.
Yeah, I admittedly failed the permit test the first time because I thought: why do I need to study the rules/penalties for junior operators and stuff like that.... it turns out the reason why is to pass the stupid test.

Back
Top Bottom