Motorcycle permit.

roccoracer

NES Member
I am considering getting a motorcycle for the first time. I used dirt bikes a lot when I was in high school but nothing since. What is the process to get your permit in Massachusetts?
It seems obvious that once you have your permit you can use your bike to drive and learn on the roads in order to gain experience. Is this true?
This bike is at the top of my list for the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230529_092525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_092525_Chrome.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 104
Very true, it's how I did it in the 80's. Now of course, everyone here going to tell you to take a class and be safe, that's the new thing, safety first!
Enjoy, have fun, and if your like me, you will go to a track day and start road racing!

Study the motorcycle book from the RMV.
Take the test.
If you pass, you'll get the permit.

Not sure if you can buy a bike with just a permit.

After I passed the test for the permit, I took training class...

If you pass THAT 2 or 3 day class they will tell the RMV that you passed and you'll have the M endorsement on your drivers license. Also, a discount for getting training.

I'm glad I took the training or I'd be dead by now.

I just ride a scooter but even they can kill you so consider carefully if you want to ride.

Absolutely agree. There are two types of riders. Those that have dropped their bike and those that will drop their bike. It's just a matter of when and how bad. That said buy a bike and have fun!!
I’m not even talking spilling the bike, just the inevitability of growing out of the first bike.

Good luck with the license. Hope to see you here soon:

As Reptile indicated once you have your permit take a riders class. I took one in Worcester that was two days and went through a bunch of different scenarios. You rode their bikes and if you passed at the end, they submitted the paperwork for you to get your license. Very easy.
I did it this way, but I had never ridden any type of motorcycle before, and didn't know if I would really want one. I thought he class was great though, and it really helped me learn to ride.

Take the test.

If you pass THAT 2 or 3 day class they will tell the RMV that you passed and you'll have the M endorsement on your drivers license. Also, a discount for getting training.

I just ride a scooter but even they can kill you so consider carefully if you want to ride.
Thank you! That looks like an excellent option.

Going through this right now. Have my permit. It's an easy test if you do a once-through of the book. Taking the safety class end of June as I didn't have a chance to take it last year before they stopped for the season and I've been too busy coaching every weekend. Finally have some time next month... FWIW, I've never ridden a motorcycle or dirtbike, so the class seemed a no-brainer, not to mention not having to deal with the RMV.

The two biggest transition from dirt to road - dirt bikes tend to be more nimble, and dirt bikers tend to hang their foot off on turns. The second one is a great way to break your ankle on the street. That said, if you already have all the clutch control, etc., managed, you might consider taking the Experienced Rider Course instead. This is a 1 day class that will convert your permit to a license.

I would 100% take a training class first. Then take more once you have ridden for a while. I think a 500cc first bike is good, you will probably keep it longer and might not outgrow it. I had a 300 first (honda cb300F, great bike) but eventually wanted to take trips and wanted more comfort and power. The final straw was when I couldn't overtake a prius on a slight hill haha. Ended up with a 650 kawisaki versys. Honestly, I think 500 might have been better for me, I have a slight build and this bike can be kinda heavy.

I had a permit for 15 years.

The last time I applied for it the lady at the RMV said they now limit how many permits you can get so I took the test.

Permit is no passengers and no ridding at night by law. Might be a good idea NOT to ride in NH as well as that is questionable (probably illegal).

The class is the easiest way because they road test you over the RMV person (not sure if still a police officer

I had a permit for 15 years.

The last time I applied for it the lady at the RMV said they now limit how many permits you can get so I took the test.

Permit is no passengers and no ridding at night by law. Might be a good idea NOT to ride in NH as well as that is questionable (probably illegal).

The class is the easiest way because they road test you over the RMV person (not sure if still a police officer
Eventually I took the road test in Lynn specifically because at the time they just asked you to do a loop around the town green in front of the RMV safely using hand signals and it was well known that thats what they did. rode up from the south shore for just that reason

take the rider's course, that alone, statistically, will keep you alive longer, good instructors and you can take your license test (or at least used to)

Riding dirt helps a lot with reflexes when your street ride gets into sticky situation. On the street, a**h***s are worse than road conditions.

Keep the shiny side up, brother.

Eventually I took the road test in Lynn specifically because at the time they just asked you to do a loop around the town green in front of the RMV safely using hand signals and it was well known that thats what they did. rode up from the south shore for just that reason

The day I went to take the test it was raining. The guy had me do a few loops around the RMV parking lot while he stood inside and watched through the window. My test took maybe 2 or 3 minutes. That was at the old Lowell RMV when it was it was off of Chelmsford and Plain Street.

Not for MA, but I got my license while living in FL. Got the permit first, signed up for the "safety" class (got a discount on the insurance from that). I had a friend help me learn how to get started (from a stop) on the motorcycle that was my father's (the reason I went that route). I ended up riding that to the safety class. Funniest thing about the class is they used these tiny 125cc or 250cc bikes (I was riding a 750cc bike by then). I was already shifting into 2nd and 3rd before the instructor told everyone else to. It was simply whining too much for me to NOT shift to a higher gear.

The class I took also went over dealing with road hazards, like a 4x4 timber in the road that you cannot go around. IME, the class was easy enough, and only took one weekend to complete.

Since getting the motorcycle endorsement on my license (in FL) I've kept it. Getting it applied to my MA license, then NH license once I moved into NH. Even though I haven't had a motorcycle for more than a few years, I'm not willing to give up the endorsement. IMO, once you have it, don't give it up.

Amazingly in Massachusetts you do not need a license to purchase a motorcycle haha.

You also don't need a license to ride unless you plan to ride at night or with a passenger. I literally rode on a permit for years.

I was wondering if they check for licenses, I've never had anyone ask about my DL when I bought a car, either from a dealer or a private sale.
Makes me wonder, if a young kid (12 or 13) had a particularly good year mowing lawns, is there anything to stop them from buying a car? Dealer or private? They can't register or drive it, but that isn't on the seller.

Now we have a counter argument when idiots compare guns to cars. We can hit back with, "why need a license to buy a gun when a child can legally buy a car?"

I am considering getting a motorcycle for the first time. I used dirt bikes a lot when I was in high school but nothing since. What is the process to get your permit in Massachusetts?
It seems obvious that once you have your permit you can use your bike to drive and learn on the roads in order to gain experience. Is this true?
This bike is at the top of my list for the moment.
Don't be this guy...f***ing idiot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7y8Yh8VOa0

Last edited:
The day I went to take the test it was raining. The guy had me do a few loops around the RMV parking lot while he stood inside and watched through the window. My test took maybe 2 or 3 minutes. That was at the old Lowell RMV when it was it was off of Chelmsford and Plain Street.
But you waited hours and hours in line for the test, right? [laugh]

Go sign up for the motorcycle safety foundation course that'll get you licensed in a weekend. That doesn't mean you're going to be safe it doesn't mean you're going to be proficient but it will get you a license. There are only two types of bikers those that have gone down and those that have not gone down yet. And that is coming from someone that has suffered two broken wrists a broken arm a broken knee and a broken leg compliments of motorcycles. The first accident broke to wrists the second accident broke the entire left side of my body. And for god sakes by a good helmet and a good jacket if you not spending at least $1,000 on your jacket gloves and helmet you haven't spent enough. All gear all the time

Step 1 take the MSF course, and take it very seriously !

Step 2, buy a smaller 500cc bike , you will be in a learning curve and you WILL eventually drop your bike.

Step 3, every time you put your helmet on, say the words " keep my head up , look ahead , think ahead" . Recite this phrase and you will survive the street .

As Reptile indicated once you have your permit take a riders class. I took one in Worcester that was two days and went through a bunch of different scenarios. You rode their bikes and if you passed at the end, they submitted the paperwork for you to get your license. Very easy.

Imagine if DL's were that way. Instead of the intimidating Nurse Ratchet that sits in the car issuing orders. That system sucked 40 years ago. It is different but no less stressful today. There is no need for it. If you take a proper class with proper instruction, you should just get your DL.

And if that was teh case, you'd have a TON more students spending MORE time learning MORE safety in a class instead of squeaking by with Nurse Ratchet and not knowing how to f'ing drive on the road. Especially urban youth drivers. They have the least clue - because they don't have a system to get them educated.

Take the test.

This ^

Iirc you don’t have to take the course, but it is easy enough to do and the riding school will submit all of the stuff to get the class M endorsement. The class is not much longer than basic firearm safety. You will spend a couple hours riding around a parking lot, and a couple hours in a class room.

You don’t need a class M to buy a motorcycle though, just to ride it on public roads.

I took the class instead of the road test just so I wouldn’t crash the moment I drove away from the dealership.

Back
Top Bottom