Montana ARD - a legal way to override ANY CCW regulations anywhere?

HR218/LEOSA was modified significantly on Oct. 12, 2010 and superseded the "type of ammo" restrictions that NJ was enforcing.

Well, that's certainly good news, I wasn't aware of that change.

That said, LEOSA as passed by the US Gov't has NEVER BEEN ACCEPTED IN MA as it was written. MA implemented numerous provisions in 515 CMR 6.00 and 501 CMR 13.00 which do not comply with Fed Law. This was done intentionally.

It doesn't matter whether MA "accepts" it or not. People carrying in MA on "foreign" LEOSA creds (should not be) subject to the whim of MA CMRs on the issue... that was the whole spirit/intent of the law to begin with- to blow away the state's ability to ban carry by LEO's from other states. If these creds make people a "non retired MT LEO" and everything is by the book on MT's end, there's not a damned thing MA can do about it except the equivalent of stomping their feet and acting like NJ and NY do with LEOSA carriers.

ETA: All of this assumes, of course, that this law is constructed properly enough to withstand a test. I don't think I would bet my freedom on it until some guy got collared in a commie state on it, and then I saw proof that they had to let him off the hook due to his status. There have been LEOSA cases but most of them have involved "real" LEOs or people who could qualify as LEOs. (EG, for example the feds have a bunch of edicts saying that many of their peeripherally related people, like some FBOP personnel, are LEOSA
qualified. )

-Mike

Last edited:
Sounds like a glorified, more expensive version of a "concealed carry badge".

In the unlikely event this legislation was ever passed, I am sure that many manufacturers and vendors will be selling "unofficial" ARD badges complete with a genuine imitation leather badge case at no extra charge. Genuine simulated gold or silver finish only $79.99 plus shipping and handling. Be proud and let the world know that you are a genuine Montana lawman. Available in either five or six pointed star configuration. Be the first in your mall to have one. Badge easily fits into the side pocket of your BDU pants or in the secret compartment of your tactical vest.

In the unlikely event this legislation was ever passed, I am sure that many manufacturers and vendors will be selling "unofficial" ARD badges complete with a genuine imitation leather badge case at no extra charge. Genuine simulated gold or silver finish only $79.99 plus shipping and handling. Be proud and let the world know that you are a genuine Montana lawman. Available in either five or six pointed star configuration. Be the first in your mall to have one. Badge easily fits into the side pocket of your BDU pants or in the secret compartment of your tactical vest.

Is a special CCW sash in the works, too? [rofl]

Having now read this PROPOSAL, the first thing that struck me was the "Sponsored by _________________" text.

This is someone's pipe-dream, with NO SPONSORS in the Montana Legislature.

I or anyone else here could write something like this and you know that if it ever got filed . . . where they would file it!

This isn't going anywhere, even in Montana.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

Having now read this PROPOSAL, the first thing that struck me was the "Sponsored by _________________" text.

This is someone's pipe-dream, with NO SPONSORS in the Montana Legislature.

I or anyone else here could write something like this and you know that if it ever got filed . . . where they would file it!

This isn't going anywhere, even in Montana.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

Who knows, MT doesn't need the money, but if they continue with their nose thumbing at the feds regarding guns made in the state and licenture; they just might give this a "shot".

Efforts towards CCW reform in states where legislatively possible, and via federal courts in places dominated by an anti gun culture present some opportunity for success. All jumping on board silly schemes like this does is make our side look like idiots.

People carrying in MA on "foreign" LEOSA creds (should not be) subject to the whim of MA CMRs on the issue...

The CMRs of which Len speaks regulate the issuance of LEOS credentials to retired officers in MA. The CMRs do not attempt to control the recognition of LEOSA credentials from other states.

I just read the FAQs on that page... seems like it may be another loophole for MA residents to get non approved hardware also. Here's to hoping there's some truth to the possibility!

The problem with MA is no one will try it!

Unless this proposal in Montana gives these folks the powers to make arrests as Police Officers,LEOSA will not apply.

Cheaper to get one of these.

heavybadge.jpg

... but I sure doubt it will let you buy a Glock or XD, where being an auxiliary sheriff will.

According to the law, no, it won't. Aux Sheriffs are not real LE. Further, XDs aren't on the roster and the LE bypass doesn't work for them. Of course, some shops have "creative" interpretations of the law and maybe a CCW sash/badge acts as a bypass for anything under their in house rules. [grin]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom