Mods-vs-Warranty's?

If you have it done by a factory trained gunsmith, you're probably OK. Otherwise, yes your warranty will generally be voided.

let me be a little more specific... If I wanted to change something blued into something stainless, Would that go against warranty? Also wanted to know about triggers, and if so then would a trigger mod kit from manufacturer be OK? Thanks

You can't change a blued gun into a stainless gun because it is a different type of steel.

The best place to contact for this info is the manufacturer of your firearm.

I believe that one can have a blued firearm hard chromed which has an appearance similar to stainless. I would check with the manufacturer to be sure.

That would almost certainly void the warranty on any firearm. Changing the finish can affect tolerances that can cause problems.

let me be a little more specific... If I wanted to change something blued into something stainless, Would that go against warranty? Also wanted to know about triggers, and if so then would a trigger mod kit from manufacturer be OK? Thanks
I think people here will be better able to answer your questions if you are more specific. What EXACTLY are you trying to do?

As Vellenueve stated, you can't turn blued steel into stainless. Are you talking about swapping out parts? If so, what parts? And where will the stainless part come from and who will install it?

OK, from your PM you are asking about the Burwell conversion to a two tone M&P. The M&P slide is Stainless steel with a black melonite coating, it is not blued. That said, having them do that will definitely void your warranty.

Do modifications to firearms void warranty's?

It depends on what the issue is that you are trying to get repaired under warranty.

They do not recommend removing the coating on the M&P. If you are thinking of having Dan do that work, ask him. He will check with S&W if he has not already done it. If the trigger work is your question, S&W will only restore it to factory original if there is a problem, but Dan has his own warranty.

There are too many variables in your question to get a specific answer. If you have a gunsmith work on your firearm and it goes KABOOM, any factory will tell you it is no longer their problem. If you have trigger work done and there are accuracy issues, they may still replace a barrel for you.

Check with the person doing the work and see what they give for an answer.

Different companies have different policies. S&W will warranty dog poop if it has their name stamped on it. When they replace a modified/replaced part they put the old part in the box. They won't warranty replacement or modified parts (that are the source of the problem), but if the problem is related to stock parts they will warranty them even if other unrelated parts have been modified. S&W replaced a barrel that had a polished barrel ramp on one gun with no complaints because the problem was not being caused by the modifications. They replaced the barrel twice on another gun that had an after market grip safety, FCG, and magwell/MSH and the gun looked like it had been worked over by an ape.

I have heard that Springfield armory is similarly supportive of customization.

I have heard that Ruger returns all firearms to factory condition and any modified parts are replaced and the old parts are put in the box with the gun. They may or may not charge you for said "service."

Sig is so hit or miss it isn't even funny. Between my experiences (barrel springing) and what others claimed to have experienced I really don't know.

The "warranty" is void the moment you break the seal on the box. You are always at their mercy in getting them to honor it. I choose to buy from S&W even though I don't like many things about their guns.

Last edited:
I had some trigger work done to my new at the time S&W 1911. It turns out that I had some issues with the gun and sent it back for repair. Well, they sent me a gun back with a new frame and my nice 3.5lb trigger put back into it.
I think the company you deal with will be the final say and how much they want to bend the rules for you.

rugers

I bought a new Ruger several years ago and had more problems than
i care to mention. Anyway, i did a trigger job etc. i sent it back, the problem
was not the trigger, the repairs were made and the mods i made were
still there when it came back..

now for the stainless conversion, contact your local magician, just kidding,
maybe a stainless slide on a blued frame, but this would look a little awkward.

JimB

I bought a new Ruger several years ago and had more problems than i care to mention. Anyway, i did a trigger job etc. i sent it back, the problem was not the trigger, the repairs were made and the mods i made were still there when it came back..

I sent a revolver back to Ruger to be reblued. Ruger took my polished-to-a-fare-thee-well, ultra-light trigger and hammer out and put in new factory pieces. I had to take the gun apart and do it all over again. [crying]

I sent a revolver back to Ruger to be reblued. Ruger took my polished-to-a-fare-thee-well, ultra-light trigger and hammer out and put in new factory pieces. I had to take the gun apart and do it all over again. [crying]

Heck- I'd be ok with them doing that to me.. I'd get extra parts! [wink] I can't get extra parts for my new M&P anywhere now anyway. [rolleyes]

They didn't send you back the old parts! That is not cool...

Back
Top Bottom