Mid-Build AR - Is a complete AR without a barrel an NFA issue?

Let me first say this is somewhat pointless since it's a small issue, but it's a little technicality that I'm curious about.

I'm in the middle of an AR build. The lower is done and I have a stripped upper and a BCG. If I put the upper on the lower and click in the receiver pins, does it cross the delicate SBR line? I'd like to pin them together and put in the BCG so I can try the trigger without catching the hammer, but I don't want to walk the NFA line and find out that no barrel at all is still sub 16" and is therefore bad. Anyone know where this falls?

How would the tech branch measure an nonexistent barrel?

Without the barrel, it's not a rifle/gun yet... Especially since it won't fire a round. How close to MA are you?? [wink]

BTW, you can use your hand for the hammer to strike instead of the lower. Or get one of the plastic pieces that provide something else for the hammer to strike. Something like this:
AR_hammer_block.jpg

Without the barrel, it's not a rifle/gun yet... Especially since it won't fire a round. How close to MA are you?? [wink]

BTW, you can use your hand for the hammer to strike instead of the lower. Or get one of the plastic pieces that provide something else for the hammer to strike. Something like this:
View attachment 102493

Haha too damn close.... Grew up there and (unfortunately) still live in a border town. Cursed for life unfortunately...

I'm looking to be able to hold it in a relatively normal manner (hand on the front of the mag well) so I didn't want to use my hand. Suppose a piece of cardboard might do but if it's legal I'd just as soon use the upper with the BCG in it...

Haha too damn close.... Grew up there and (unfortunately) still live in a border town. Cursed for life unfortunately...

I'm looking to be able to hold it in a relatively normal manner (hand on the front of the mag well) so I didn't want to use my hand. Suppose a piece of cardboard might do but if it's legal I'd just as soon use the upper with the BCG in it...

It's legal, you're not in MA anymore...

How long has it been since you escaped the PRM??

If you want to try the hammer block I have, let me know... I won't let you take it home... [rofl2]

Ya that's sort of my exact question. I could see the ATF saying "Well we couldn't measure it, therefore it's not 16" and is illegal". They've made crazier calls...

Crazy but not that crazy. There are limits, even for BATFE's retardation.

ETA: moved this into the gun laws root garbage can, this really isn't a "state" thing.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom