• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inheritance Issue

Could someone not drive them from there to here? That is the answer I was ultimately given with my hypothetical from Tenn. to RI. It started out this FFL TO FFL across state line unless the owner dies. Then it was drive home with them after the funeral.
Of course they could.

That would be a federal felony. Transfers across straight lines must go through an FFL. For handguns, such transfers must go through an FFL in the buyers state of residence.
When my father passed in Florida, I brought his guns back to NH many years ago. I still have them, never fired them. You do what you have to do. Don't post it on an open forum.

This isn't an inheritance issue. Your father inherited them from your grandfather and your father wants to give them from you -- you didn't inherit them from your father or grandfather. Therefore, these have to go through a MA FFL.

If you had inherited them from your grandfather, that would be a different issue.

Here's your solution. Tell him to drive down to Cody for lunch for the day, then drop his guns off at Cody Mercantile and Pawn where they won't give him any shit. Good lunch, good FFL, and now you have your guns. Everyone wins.
Do you have anyone closer to Billings? He said Cody is 165 miles away from him.

Ok, now that we are past the "is it inheritance or not" phase, fed law does not require FFLs to be involved in the interstate transfer of inherited firearms from the estate (or trust) to the (non prohibited) person bequeathed the firearm.

Executor -> inheritor.

Short answer.

ETA: I cannot believe how often this has been asked and answered on here.

Ok, now that we are past the "is it inheritance or not" phase, fed law does not require FFLs to be involved in the interstate transfer of inherited firearms from the estate (or trust) to the (non prohibited) person bequeathed the firearm.

Executor -> inheritor.

Short answer.

ETA: I cannot believe how often this has been asked and answered on here.
So can he just box them and fedex them?

Shipping tariffs run by "fgt mc shit" companies block like 80% of non ffl gun shipments. I think USPS might actually allow mailing a rifle to yourself. Handguns with USPS require an FFL.

Back
Top Bottom