• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inheritance Issue

I am trying to receive 2 pistols and a Shotgun that my father inherited from my grandfather. The guns are not registered to me but I have my LTC for MA nor are they currently registered to my half brother in MT that is trying to send them. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to have them sent?

If I remember correctly from previous discussions, he would have to send them to an FFL in Massachusetts for transfer to you.

Added: Also, if you want to participate on this forum you might want to introduce yourself via this thread:

If I recall correctly, the "normal" practise if for FFLs to communicate with each other to discuss the transfer. A big part of this is so that the receiving FFL knows who the guns are destined for.

According to this website:

A Montana resident doesn't need to get a gun license, register their guns or get a permit to purchase or possess firearms.

Methinks something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Because they weren't registered to me or him

They can’t be registered to you as they aren’t yours. They will be registered to you when the local FFL does the transfer.

Find a different FFL in Montana is my suggestion as well. Perhaps @FPrice
Is correct and something is fishy In Montana.

I lived in Montana and worked at three different gun shops for a decade. There is no gun registration in Montana, period. The issue is the "shipping" dealer is weary of MA gun laws, which he ought not to be because the "burden" is on the transferring dealer. Where in MT is this coming from? I'll send you to someone who actually understands the law..

I lived in Montana and worked at three different gun shops for a decade. There is no gun registration in Montana, period. The issue is the "shipping" dealer is weary of MA gun laws, which he ought not to be because the "burden" is on the transferring dealer. Where in MT is this coming from? I'll send you to someone who actually understands the law..
My half brother lives in Billings.

Can the FFL say why hs is hesitant?

Because they weren't registered to me or him

Does Montana register guns?

Calling @peterk123

From Concealed Weapons - Montana Department of Justice.

Can you constitutional carry in Montana?
Montana law allows any person to conceal carry a weapon without a concealed weapon permit, so long as that person is eligible to possess a firearm under state or federal law.

The guns aren't registered in Montana to anybody, simply an asset in the estate.

If the guns are "acceptable" in Mass, it's just estate-ffl-ffl-op. (eta - a few posts down this page, Len says more clearly what I meant. It's "just" a transfer. The particular guns they are determines if or how you can actually bring them.)

The ffl was exercising Montprudence. I don't really hold that against the ffl. I hold it against Mass lawmakers. He didn't know "for sure" so he said eff it to the $30 or so he would have stood to earn.

Last edited:

I am always amazed to see how many people think guns are registered "to them".

Had a conversation with a coworker not too long ago who thought things were like TV...a gun shows up at a crime scene, and like Perrry Mason, the cops know exactly who bought the gun, when, and if it was ever sold to anyone. He was slack-jawed to learn the AFT didn't have a central computerized registry of every gun ever sold in the US. I had to explain the actual process of "gun tracing" and how is is far from accurate. That only a handful of deep blue states had anything that resembled a registry. I gave him the hypothetical that as a non resident I could move to MA and own 100 guns and no one need know. There is nothing on an LTC/FID that ties me to a specific firearm. Then I had to explain to this disenchanted coworker that ballistics is not like TV either....and that it rarely possible to declare a bullet came from a specific firearm unless several conditions are met.

Another friend of mine (RI resident) was given a gun (sweet S&W 357 mag revolver) by his (now late) mother. It belonged to his deceased father. He said he wanted to come to the range with me and shoot some time, but first he had to get his license and he couldn't leave the house with it because it was not "register to" him. He got this vital information from his coworker....so I said in my best family guy voice "You know, not for nuthin' but you coworker doens't know crap about guns....I'll be be Saturday and we're going to the range"

I am always amazed to see how many people think guns are registered "to them".

Had a conversation with a coworker not too long ago who thought things were like TV...a gun shows up at a crime scene, and like Perrry Mason, the cops know exactly who bought the gun, when, and if it was ever sold to anyone. He was slack-jawed to learn the AFT didn't have a central computerized registry of every gun ever sold in the US. I had to explain the actual process of "gun tracing" and how is is far from accurate. That only a handful of deep blue states had anything that resembled a registry. I gave him the hypothetical that as a non resident I could move to MA and own 100 guns and no one need know. There is nothing on an LTC/FID that ties me to a specific firearm. Then I had to explain to this disenchanted coworker that ballistics is not like TV either....and that it rarely possible to declare a bullet came from a specific firearm unless several conditions are met.

Another friend of mine (RI resident) was given a gun (sweet S&W 357 mag revolver) by his (now late) mother. It belonged to his deceased father. He said he wanted to come to the range with me and shoot some time, but first he had to get his license and he couldn't leave the house with it because it was not "register to" him. He got this vital information from his coworker....so I said in my best family guy voice "You know, not for nuthin' but you coworker doens't know crap about guns....I'll be be Saturday and we're going to the range"
I couldn't say it better myself...

If the guns are "acceptable" in Mass, it's just estate-ffl-ffl-op.
I'll bet the Montana dealer doesn't think that they are MA compliant. And I would agree, it is unlikely that 40+ yo guns were ever tested and approved for MA Dealers to transfer.

Since the OP was not Willed the guns, it is NOT inheritance. It is a normal transfer across state lines and thus needs to be MA compliant for a MA Dealer to do the transfer.

Lots of luck!!!

I'll bet the Montana dealer doesn't think that they are MA compliant. And I would agree, it is unlikely that 40+ yo guns were ever tested and approved for MA Dealers to transfer.

Since the OP was not Willed the guns, it is NOT inheritance. It is a normal transfer across state lines and thus needs to be MA compliant for a MA Dealer to do the transfer.

Lots of luck!!!
Could someone not drive them from there to here? That is the answer I was ultimately given with my hypothetical from Tenn. to RI. It started out this FFL TO FFL across state line unless the owner dies. Then it was drive home with them after the funeral.

Could someone not drive them from there to here? That is the answer I was ultimately given with my hypothetical from Tenn. to RI. It started out this FFL TO FFL across state line unless the owner dies. Then it was drive home with them after the funeral.

Nope, this is an interstate transfer not an inheritance and needs to go through FFLs

I am trying to receive 2 pistols and a Shotgun that my father inherited from my grandfather. The guns are not registered to me but I have my LTC for MA nor are they currently registered to my half brother in MT that is trying to send them. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to have them sent?
This isn't an inheritance issue. Your father inherited them from your grandfather and your father wants to give them from you -- you didn't inherit them from your father or grandfather. Therefore, these have to go through a MA FFL.

If you had inherited them from your grandfather, that would be a different issue.

No, because this isn't inheritance. His father inherited the guns from his grandfather, now his father wants to give them to him. So this isn't an inheritance.

Back
Top Bottom