• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Microstamping Bill Comes to Massachusetts

I figured I would respond to some of the misinformation being discussed about Microstamping:

. . .

That is just my point of view.

And you are welcome to it, but understand that essentially everyone OTHER than you and the anti-gun-at-any-cost crowd disagrees with you.

I will NEVER own a gun with microstamping technology longer than it take to file the firing pin or whatever means is needed to disable it.

It provides a means to combat a technology that up until now has been kept quite by the NSSF and the NRA – which is the IUID program which is a fully working centralized database for tracking firearm and light weapons for the DOD / Military. This system has the long term goal of using RFID to track weapons and since the NSSF and NRA seem to not be fighting its development, it is going to be hard for them to say it doesn’t work or will violate privacy when it is shown to work for the military. RFID of firearms – it is coming – Microstamping blocks the need for that technology.

Wow, trade one Spruce Goose for another... I don't buy either of these BS tracking methods. "Hey, you had better take my method of microstamping or RFID will track you down till you are dead and buried."

Hate to say it, but Assachusetts requires that you register your firearms with the CHSB (Criminal History Systems Board, for those in Rio Linda). So, we are in a defacto-state of Microstamping. So, Eat Me.

Eat_Me.jpg

"Hey, you had better take my method of microstamping or RFID will track you down till you are dead and buried."

I wasn't quite sure what Microstamper was getting at with the RFID argument either. Putting RFID tags in guns isn't in any way the 'scary' alternative to microstamping casings. They're two entirely different subjects. Microstamping is a (poor) attempt to try to track a gun based on the casings. RFID would be a (poor) attempt to make the serial number on a gun harder to forge/destroy.

I don't see any reason why antis wouldn't want both of these two things together. Implementing microstamping would only encourage legislators to push for other 'common sense' measures such as RFID tagging guns.

I wasn't quite sure what Microstamper was getting at with the RFID argument either. Putting RFID tags in guns isn't in any way the 'scary' alternative to microstamping casings. They're two entirely different subjects. Microstamping is a (poor) attempt to try to track a gun based on the casings. RFID would be a (poor) attempt to make the serial number on a gun harder to forge/destroy.

I don't see any reason why antis wouldn't want both of these two things together. Implementing microstamping would only encourage legislators to push for other 'common sense' measures such as RFID tagging guns.

Exactly! The deal is that, in both cases, both methodologies combat the SAME THING. There is truly nothing different within the basis for the flawed technology in the first place.

Hell, call me crazy, but the Gun Control Act of 1968 has federal provisions for serial numbers. Furthermore, tampering with said serial numbers will cause you to be a member of the "soap on the rope brigade".

Just my .02, but we already register our firearms. If, say, the stamping was implemented, and it tracked back to a gun I reported stolen, what will happen? [thinking]
Once you open the door to the moonbats, you are hosed...

Last edited:
LEO have been doing a pretty good job without this technology.

So in LA all they have to do is make sure the brass stays in the car.

Hit and Run

Microstamper, you seem to be a hit-and-run troll poster. Several people have commented on your post and asked questions.

Where are your responses?

a revolver keeps all of it's empty shells neatly in the cylinder

So the one kind of gun that won't leave behind registered shells at crime scenes by its very nature will be the one kind of gun you can obtain legally.

Riiiiiight. [rolleyes]

If they get microstamping it will only be a matter of time until they will want to close the "Revolver Loophole".

We need to resist efforts like this with everything we have and reject the incessant warnings that '...it's coming anyway...'.

We can't afford to take our eyes off of the ball. The end objective of the antis is the elimination of civilian gun ownership.

They doubt their ability to defeat the 2nd Amendment, so they aim to achieve their objective by all other means necessary.

Microstamping is just one more brick in their wall against civilian gun ownership.

It is just one more legal obstacle intended to disourage manufacturers from making and selling guns into effected areas, and one more attempt to dissuade consumers from buying guns that include these features.

They apparently don't want to eliminate drug abuse, but they're completely committed to drying up the supply and demand for guns!

Never surrender!

Last edited:
The only way we can combat this is to make all the democrats (and any repulicans foolish enough to support it) to fear for their jobs at the next election. We do that by being as public and vocal about it as possible. All those tea party voices CERTAINLY got noticed by any pol who is even slightly unsure of the next election!

This is a little like your doctor walking in the exam room and saying "sorry fred, I have to tell you that you have disease X. There are excellent drugs available, and if you watch your health and take your drugs each and every day, you will lead a normal and long life... but if you do not remain vigilent, you will die young". After getting over the shock, you either cave in an feel sorrow and misbelief, or you buck up and decide to salvage your life the best you can.

Same with these attacks on our rights. Sure it is terrible news that a significant portion of our beloved country wants to bury and forget what we all think are essential rights--rights that define our country! Get over it! It is an illness in the country, and it will not go away, ever. We have to combat it for the rest of our lives. It will be a tough go of it. But if we get lazy, if we do not keep up our visible political efforts, if we do not get new generations into the sport to pick up the cause, then we will see this right wither and get burried. We are in this for the long haul. Get used to it, it will be a long but worthwhile fight.

which is exactly what our state officials believe (the majority anyway)
Ironically, I'd suggest that the statistic will show that an LTC holder is substantially unlikely to be involved in a gun crime...

That is, most gun crimes involve an unlicensed individual and/or an illegal gun...

So, presuming I am right about that, we should arrest everyone who does not have an LTC under the presumption that they are statistically more likely to be a criminal[laugh]

Can't wait for the next census - statistical sampling, ACORN fraud, lies, damn lies and the people who tell them... - get the popcorn [popcorn]

That is just my point of view.

I'd like to see your response to the questions we've posted here.

No really, I would.

Microstamping is a solution in search of a problem.

Yup. For every law that gets passed and doesn't work, it's an excuse to pass another.

"Hey look, microstamping failed miserably. We now need even better ways to track/regulate/restrict lawful gun owners."

Does anyone have any stats showing that the microstamping that has been done has solved any crimes?
-snip-
If my fingerprints were never in the system because I have never been convicted of a crime - there is NO possibility that I could be wrongly identified by a finger print search...

+1

If they get microstamping it will only be a matter of time until they will want to close the "Revolver Loophole".

This doesn't end. There's no "reasonable restriction," just rights and the people trying to take them away one piece at a time.

I prefer that we fight off any new encroachment and work to repeal the bullshit we have now rather than this give an inch and pray they don't take a mile horseshit.

It's prob been said, but my first thought is "sandpaper". I'm not saying I would (or wouldn't) do it, but a sheet of sandpaper cost around $3. After that, it's pretty easy to figure out what to do.
I think I'll call this the "$3 bill", due the fact that the system it would put in place can be rendered completely useless with 5 minutes of sanding and at a cost of around $3.

Coming from a guy named dingbat, you surprised? [smile] Sorry dingbat, but you have been around long enough now that you are fair game for a little good natured ribbn'. [wink]

Yeah, No.

You should expect a guy named dingbat and anything related to the Mass legislature to go together like peas and carrots.[wink][smile]

Furthermore, why has CA not tried to overturn the bill?

CA's political subsystem has been gerrymandered to death. Libtard bills in
that state frequently get traction without much opposition, because the
libtards pretty much control everything there.

-Mike

Damn, You must plan on using some pretty high end sand paper.[shocked]

lol, yup, only the best for my babies. [rofl]
ok, so maybe less. Usually it comes in a package of a few sheets, and $3 sounds good. :p

I'd be carefull though, just like small plastic bags are drug parafinailia, possession of sandpaper may make you a criminal. [rolleyes]

It's prob been said, but my first thought is "sandpaper". I'm not saying I would (or wouldn't) do it, but a sheet of sandpaper cost around $3. After that, it's pretty easy to figure out what to do.
I think I'll call this the "$3 bill", due the fact that the system it would put in place can be rendered completely useless with 5 minutes of sanding and at a cost of around $3.

yabbutt...

I'm sure our keen legislators have not overlooked this loophole- along with the passage of this bill, MA will also enact strict licensing laws for the sales of sandpaper, prohibiting its use for purposes outside of, well, making rough things smooth. [rolleyes]

I'm sure tampering with the stamping will be a felony in the end, too.

yabbutt...

I'm sure our keen legislators have not overlooked this loophole- along with the passage of this bill, MA will also enact strict licensing laws for the sales of sandpaper, prohibiting its use for purposes outside of, well, making rough things smooth. [rolleyes]

I'm sure tampering with the stamping will be a felony in the end, too.

true enough.
I imaging that these markings on the fireing pin will wear out eventually. The actual numbers would be very thin, so with the constant metal-on-metal contact will wear down the numbers, making it difficult or immpossible to read the numbers. Then it's up to the courts to decide if YOU removed the number, or it just wore down through normail use.

true enough.
I imaging that these markings on the fireing pin will wear out eventually. The actual numbers would be very thin, so with the constant metal-on-metal contact will wear down the numbers, making it difficult or immpossible to read the numbers. Then it's up to the courts to decide if YOU removed the number, or it just wore down through normail use.
Eh, that'd take a lot of bullets - most of us aren't (and could not afford) to go through rounds like the SEALs so it's not likely much of a concern...

The bigger concern is that it adds yet another layer of regulation and registration which at best just adds cost and at worst creates the possibility of mis-identification and wrongful conviction...

As so many guns involved in crimes are stolen or otherwise illegally obtained, you really shouldn't expect any reasonable portion to correctly identify the "owner". Then there is the matter of marking the casing which may not be left at the scene or even ejected from the gun in the case of revolvers which are exempt in the proposals I have seen...

Back
Top Bottom