Men tote assault rifles at Obama event

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy spoke to CNN at the event. Link to video.

ETA: Link to page 2 of the thread on ArizonaShooting.com which has a bunch more pictures and some quotes from folks who attended, including this gem:
We couldn't let New Hampshire out-do us now, could we?!
[smile]

Last edited:
However, Arizona is an open-carry state, meaning it's legal to carry firearms in public as long as they are visible.

Now maybe I'm just extra sensitive since I'm in the PRK but doesn't "Open Carry" normally only refer to handguns? Is there any state where the open carry of long guns is NOT legal?
It just seems to me like the deliberately ignorant media is trying to paint the "Open Carry" movement as those carrying long guns, not handguns.
Don't get me wrong, I fully support carrying long guns but I feel like they may be trying to show the OC movement as more "scary" and "evil".

To be perfectly honest, I'm very glad the guy in the picture is black. It completely and immediately negates the "white supremacist militia" label, which you just know the media was (and is) waiting to stick on anyone open-carrying near Black Jesus.

I agree.

Go to a presidental forum (outside of the building) carrying an assault weapon is plain stupid. That is the kind of thing that will get our guns taken away. I quote from the bible...

"Whereas now all things are lawful, not all things are profitable."

Anyone who thinks showing up at where the president is, carrying a gun, is just stupid beyond belief. Like we need to give the liberal weenies that kind of fuel to pass more anti-gun laws. There are people who out there who at present don't don't give carry laws a thought, but after this kind of press will be wanting to see some laws passed to prohibit this kind of poor judgment.

Video from MSNBC/Rachel Maddow.

The media elitists can not get it through their head that people carrying firearms are not trying to "imply a threat" as she says.

That's the issue, they (the anti gun liberals and the media) look at a gun and think "danger, they are dangerous, they want to hurt me, they have a gun" when the real fact is we want just the opposite

The good news is a dialogue has begun, the bad news is we have a long way to go towards educating the brain washed masses.

Go to a presidental forum (outside of the building) carrying an assault weapon is plain stupid. That is the kind of thing that will get our guns taken away. I quote from the bible...

Anyone who thinks showing up at where the president is, carrying a gun, is just stupid beyond belief. Like we need to give the liberal weenies that kind of fuel to pass more anti-gun laws. There are people who out there who at present don't don't give carry laws a thought, but after this kind of press will be wanting to see some laws passed to prohibit this kind of poor judgment.

Unfortunately I'm starting to agree with you here. Look, I'm a BIG supporter of the choice to open carry, although I don't do it myself (usual tactical reasons). But these folks, despite a fuzzy feeling I get when I see them, are putting undue attention onto gun owners and not necessarily in a positive way.

Yes, yes I know it's their right, I know they are probably 100% lawful and descent citizens, I know the sheep have nothing to fear. I know and support all the pro-OC arguments. The problem is the average sheep, not even an anti, who sees this and thinks..."Wow, these guys are cooks...perhaps the Brady Bunch are on to something". Made especially worse by how these folks are presented by the media.

On a side note....I want to know where these "small gov't" protesters were when Bush Jr introduced the Patriot act, and tried to pass things like prescription drug coverage etc???

Last edited:
lawnmower_sheep.jpg

And people wonder why our rights are being stripped away one at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

According to the current rhetoric, exercising our 1st Amendment rights and speaking up against the Government is also stupid and dangerous. What a co-inky-dink.

On a side note....I want to know where these "small gov't" protesters were when Bush Jr introduced the Patriot act, and tried to pass things like prescription drug coverage etc???

Grumbling at our dinner tables, worried about the precedent, worried about the possible misuses, wondering what the next step is going to be, and when the tipping point is going to be reached.

Hey look at all that straw that camel can carry!

...The media elitists can not get it through their head that people carrying firearms are not trying to "imply a threat" as she says.

That's the issue, they (the anti gun liberals and the media) look at a gun and think "danger, they are dangerous, they want to hurt me, they have a gun" when the real fact is we want just the opposite...

Excellent point Mike and this is one of the thing's I've noticed/has disturbed me. It appears the coverage is shifting slightly in tone from 'look at the nut with a gun, he's dangerous' to 'bringing guns to a political event is intimidation and an attempt to stifle political discourse'

I see this as the angle they're going to take against us. The fact that all of the gun-carrying protesters to date have been peacable and law-abiding is preventing them from portraying us as maniacs, so they're going to shift tone and portray us as attempting to intimidate voters with 'the threat of violence'. Subverting the 'will of the people' and all that crap.

At some point during one of these interviews, someone will make the point that for every 1 open carrying protesters, there are probably 1000 ccw-ing protesters.

At some point during one of these interviews, someone will make the point that for every 1 open carrying protesters, there are probably 1000 ccw-ing protesters.

Eventually, someone in the press will make a connection to the post-election surge in gun sales, as well. The MSM will attempt to stoke fear. Southern Poverty Law Center has already begun stirring the "militia" pot, raising the specter of potential violence against the President, a threat which has not appeared on Secret Service radar and which has not been seen in any increase in credible threats, according to WH spokesman Robert Gibbs.

Thank God we got the Heller decision when we did. It's not much, but it's the only thing we have right now between us and an all-out war on the Second Amendment.

+1

Unfortunately I'm starting to agree with you here. Look, I'm a BIG supporter of the choice to open carry, although I don't do it myself (usual tactical reasons). But these folks, despite a fuzzy feeling I get when I see them, are putting undue attention onto gun owners and not necessarily in a positive way.

Yes, yes I know it's their right, I know they are probably 100% lawful and descent citizens, I know the sheep have nothing to fear. I know and support all the pro-OC arguments. The problem is the average sheep, not even an anti, who sees this and thinks..."Wow, these guys are cooks...perhaps the Brady Bunch are on to something". Made especially worse by how these folks are presented by the media.

I'm sorry but your both off the mark here. Sitting on forums and whining and talking to your friends about how the government sucks and so on and so forth gets you NO WHERE! I'm so unbeleivably happy that people are getting furious, that they are showing they are steps away from force, because for once in my life I truly feel like there is HOPE for this country. That good men and women are not content with being "proper" and not getting mad.

Finally people are showing that they will not bend over and take it anymore. Don't get me wrong I love my life and the luxuries I have, but if SHTF and people get pushed to that edge than so be it. Thats life and the government can only F with people for so long before this kind of thing comes about. I wish more people would be "brave" enough to do what this guy did. [thinking]

It's amazing the police department and mayor both had no problems with it.

http://www.azcentral.com/video/?type=mavenfull&id=news&videoID=1217966720

Police say: He was exercising his constitutional right

Mayor says: We showed the world we have those rights & use them correctly

Again lets pretend we don't have them and maybe the liberals won't try to pass more laws.

REALITY CHECK FELLAS.... THEY (LIBERALS) ARE GOING TO TRY TO TAKE THEM NO MATTER HOW NICE WE PLAY. THE SOONER YOU GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS THE BETTER.

Again lets pretend we don't have them and maybe the liberals won't try to pass more laws.

REALITY CHECK FELLAS.... THEY (LIBERALS) ARE GOING TO TRY TO TAKE THEM NO MATTER HOW NICE WE PLAY. THE SOONER YOU GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS THE BETTER.

Same with the gentleman in Portsmouth. The NH SP were quoted as saying he wasn't a threat. If the guy with the AR was a threat, he wouldn't have been there either.

Teddy Roosevelt and his daughter used to ride horses around the national mall shooting at tree stumps at full gallop.

Hell, he CCW'd all the time.

Over half of Americans own guns. Yet we have to hide it and be careful about what we say simply about gun ownership. Why the fear?

What's the percentage of Americans that's homosexual? less than 10%? And we don't think twice about seeing two men walking down the street holding hands. 40 years ago they weren't able to do that without fear outside of San Francisco. You may not agree with it, but really who cares? Isn't that the whole battle they've been fighting? To simply live and be left alone in their lifestyle? Yeah, they have their fringe elements, just like gun owners, but seriously the gay pride parades, the Village People, and Blitz1 are so over the top about it that a gay couple is simply unremarkable now. They've won the same thing we want: to live our lives and be left alone, not branded as weirdos and lunatics.

I think we could learn a lesson from their struggle.

These guys did a great job of expressing their freedom in such a manner that any liberal criticism results in a dead end.

I agree. I hate to admit that I have some ingrained sheep tendencies myself, e.g. my initial reaction is to worry about further loss of our rights when someone brings an AR-15 to an Obama rally. However, Derek is right, if we try and play nice, it just empowers the antis further. These open-carriers at the rallys are well-behaved, well-spoken, law-abiding citizens. I'm coming to see that when the Brady Bunch starts shrieking about how insane it is, yet the OC-ers continue to behave rationally and the police/Secret Service yawn about it, it HELPS us.

The Brady Bunch is reeling from Heller and the Obama caused gun/ammo sales frenzy. This OC mini-movement is putting them further back on their heels, playing defense and changing their arguments as to why this is bad on a daily basis. They're off balance and the more it happens, the more off balance they become. Which is good.

So, I've decided to make kebabs out of my inner-sheep and applaud these OC guys enthusiastically!

lawnmower_sheep.jpg

And people wonder why our rights are being stripped away one at a time.

+ Infinity....

The larger issue is my eyes is not what the media thinks, what the POTUS thinks, what the liberals think, or even if by open carrying our rights will be infringed further. The larger issue is the sheep among us. Those whom have become so conditioned to either hide in the shadows or bend over for the man that the larger message of liberty, personal freedom and rising up against tyranny has become all but a wilted memory....

They stockpile ammo and pre-bans under their stairs - not for the greater good, not for defending home, property, liberty, but to have "in case there's another ban". They have become so immeshed with the sheep wandering in the green meadow of government, that they are barely recognizable as the patriots they claim to be....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom