Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Lugnut said:
Just got back. Had the place all to myself too. [grin]
Don't you just love that? Last year I had down time after quitting my last job and starting my new job. I used to get down there once or twice a week, usually would have the place to myself. It was nice... [wink]

So how'd you like your new AR?

SiameseRat said:
Don't you just love that? Last year I had down time after quitting my last job and starting my new job. I used to get down there once or twice a week, usually would have the place to myself. It was nice... [wink]

So how'd you like your new AR?

Yeah... it is nice. Not that I'm antisocial or anything.. it just allows you to focus more clearly. Plus even after lots of range time large caliber firearms going off right next to me sometimes gets me a little jumpy!

Wrt the AR.. it's really nice. I love the style and the round seems perfect for what I want. I just bought more ammo so I can have more fun this weekend!

Well I should probably be there tomorrow, so if you see a chick (I'm allowed to call myself a chick. It's fitting [wink] ) in a burgundy MRA cap let her try your AR. Because she misses shooting them. [smile]

SiameseRat said:
Well I should probably be there tomorrow, so if you see a chick (I'm allowed to call myself a chick. It's fitting [wink] ) in a burgundy MRA cap let her try your AR. Because she misses shooting them. [smile]

I'd love to have you try it out. Unfortunately I'm heading to Riverside to help out with one of their classes. Sometime soon though.

Not if you're by yourself. Come to action shooting on Sunday afternoons and Monday evenings and they have steel plates, bowling pins, or falling steel. Mostly pistol. The shotgun days seem to have gone the way of the dodo and the rifle shoots only happen once a month now (can't make any of them until June @#$!@#!!!)

Schedule is here
http://www.massrifle.com/august_Sept2005.htm

Almost locked myself out of the loeb range again last night. Thank God there was another dude there at midnight, otherwise I'd have still been waiting there this morning. Those interior locks aren't cool. [angry]

crakowski said:
Not if you're by yourself. Come to action shooting on Sunday afternoons and Monday evenings and they have steel plates, bowling pins, or falling steel. Mostly pistol. The shotgun days seem to have gone the way of the dodo and the rifle shoots only happen once a month now (can't make any of them until June @#$!@#!!!)

Schedule is here
http://www.massrifle.com/august_Sept2005.htm

Almost locked myself out of the loeb range again last night. Thank God there was another dude there at midnight, otherwise I'd have still been waiting there this morning. Those interior locks aren't cool. [angry]

I wonder what they would say if you had to shoot the lock off in order to get out (always keep at least one bullet in your pocket... just in case)? [smile]

But yeah, the interior locks are a PITA. Kind'a pointless since the RFID key already let's you into the clubhouse to begin with.

I've been there at night by myself.. I don't recall needing the key to get out??? One at main entrance and one into Loeb. Did I get lucky?

Imagine for a moment that after getting through both sets of locks you leave your keys in your jacket and start shooting. Then after a while, the coffee you got at the Montvale Ave McDonalds hits, and you need to step outside the range for a moment. Or maybe your rifle is acting up and you want to check it out on the cleaning tables in the lobby. Whoops, your keys were still in your jacket. Can't get into the range. Can't get into your car. Guess you can catch up on your 1990's American Rifleman magazines until some early birds show up.

I almost think I've trained myself not to do that now after a couple close calls. Call me stupid or whatever, but who exactly are those locks supposed to be keeping out?

crakowski said:
I almost think I've trained myself not to do that now after a couple close calls. Call me stupid or whatever, but who exactly are those locks supposed to be keeping out?

I almost did that once when I was there by myself at 11pm or so. I barely caught the door before it closed on me. Now I always make sure to keep them in my front pocket, and keep checking to make sure they are there the whole time I'm shooting.

LoginName said:
I wonder what they would say if you had to shoot the lock off in order to get out (always keep at least one bullet in your pocket... just in case)? [smile]

But yeah, the interior locks are a PITA. Kind'a pointless since the RFID key already let's you into the clubhouse to begin with.

Getting out isn't the problem. It's getting back in that you can't do without your fob. From what I hear the fob to get on the range is because of damage that some piss-poor shots have done. It's so they know who was where and when so if somebody has to be kicked out of the club they know they've got the right guy. It's a safety thing. A pain, maybe, but I'd rather that I had to fob in than they just close the range unless there's an RSO present.

It's so they know who was where and when so if somebody has to be kicked out of the club they know they've got the right guy.

There are already cameras up there. What's the point?

We'll be there tomorrow. No experience with sighting an AK, but if we're there at the same time I am fairly certain I'll know somebody who can. I'll be there some time around 9:30-10ish to get breakfast and then go out on the Pope (unless it's raining).
Patrick's going to be shooting clays. As always, it'll be easy to pick me out. If I'm not the only female there, then I'll be one of 2 ,or maybe even 3 if it's a busy day. I'm the one with the burgundy MRA cap (it helps keep the brass out of my face!).

But we're already FOBed in at the front door. All 1000 members aren't in the loeb range at the same time.

Martlet, do you have the AK sight tool? I'm going to be there at night with one if you'd like to meet up.

SiameseRat said:
Getting out isn't the problem. It's getting back in that you can't do without your fob.

Yeah, a bit of a brain fart coupled with my inability to post clearly when I mean to say something else (does that make sense [smile] ).

I keep my fob on my key-chain like most people. Under the old swipe card system I would usually dump all my gear, leave my jacket, empty my pockets and leave it all in the Loeb cleaning area.

At first I was triple checking/double checking myself every time I left the Loeb area. Now it's become an instinctive part of my range safety drill when I step outside for a bathroom or smoke break (clear all weapons, drop the mag, leave bolt or slide open, check for fob).

crakowski said:
But we're already FOBed in at the front door. All 1000 members aren't in the loeb range at the same time.
The Board meeting is the first Monday of every month. Dinner is free if you show up between 6 and 7. Any MRA member is welcome, and anyone can propose a motion to be voted on.

SiameseRat said:
And another point is that if you haven't been qualified and cleared to be on a range unsupervised your fob won't open the door.

Speaking of which, how long does it take to "qualify" on the 100/200 yard outdoor range? I've been told they only do it on Sundays, but I work every Sunday from 8:30am to 6pm. I'd really like to get out there to shoot my rifles. Any advice?

dreppucci007 said:
Speaking of which, how long does it take to "qualify" on the 100/200 yard outdoor range? I've been told they only do it on Sundays, but I work every Sunday from 8:30am to 6pm. I'd really like to get out there to shoot my rifles. Any advice?
If you only want to qualify for the 100/200 it will take about a 30-45 minutes. You only need to shoot 6 rounds. 3 rounds indoors on the Loeb to make sure you're on paper, then 3 rounds on the 100/200, again on paper. Then you go inside and Marty will ask you a few questions about the range rules before he adds your fob to the list. Pretty painless. But I'll ask the guys if there's anyone who will qualify you at a different time.

Gonna be down there tommroa morning with my buddy.

We'll probably be in either Pope or Loeb, if Vector comes with me, he won't be happy untill he pops off a few rounds with the Mosin nagant!

I'm just dieing to shoot my S&W 617 some more!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

If you're there before 2pm you'll be cleaning.

Weer'd Beard said:
Gonna be down there tommroa morning with my buddy.

We'll probably be in either Pope or Loeb, if Vector comes with me, he won't be happy untill he pops off a few rounds with the Mosin nagant!

I'm just dieing to shoot my S&W 617 some more!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom