Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Yeah I got an award and the guys thought it would be nice if Patrick presented it to me (aka tell embarrassing stories about me in front of 100s of people [rolleyes] [laugh] ).
As far as the instructors getting awards, it's just a coincidence that some of the guys who put in a lot of time at the MRA are also on the instructor team.

Why, are there any other types of stories about you that Patrick knows? [wink]

Thanks Bob. [laugh]

I'm heading down to the range now. Anyone else going down there today?

It was good to see you.

We had a friendly match in the morning (McGovern Cup: Military Rifle, 200 yards, Iron Sights, Off Hand) then I got to take a new shooter who was volunteering in the office out to try an AR for the 1st time...[mg]

Yep, another "convert".[dance]

I joined the MRA at the Fun Shoot and got my key fob yesterday. Only had my Glock 22 and forty rounds of ammo on me but I'm sure I'll be back there more often (probably in the wee hours on the morning aka 1am-6am).

I joined the MRA at the Fun Shoot and got my key fob yesterday. Only had my Glock 22 and forty rounds of ammo on me but I'm sure I'll be back there more often (probably in the wee hours on the morning aka 1am-6am).

Welcome to the MRA!

It looks like your fob is going to come in handy but you'll need a bit more ammo...

Well, I almost never go, and when I do, it feels so constricted. I can shoot at a pit near home and do all sorts of movement, drills, positions, etc that shooting paper standing has kind of lost it's thrill.

Even though it's 100 yards from one of the places I work, I just don't find myself there much. Not sure if the $150 is worth the 2-4 visits per year.

Well, I almost never go, and when I do, it feels so constricted. I can shoot at a pit near home and do all sorts of movement, drills, positions, etc that shooting paper standing has kind of lost it's thrill.

Even though it's 100 yards from one of the places I work, I just don't find myself there much. Not sure if the $150 is worth the 2-4 visits per year.

Well, you didn't mention you've got a perfectly good pit at home! I don't blame you, then. I mean, it's great to be a member of the MRA, and I'm in no way discouraging you from continuing your membership, but I can see why you wouldn't.

I signed up to the MRA yesterday. I have a buddy of mine that is a member there and have shot there before. I like the 24/7 indoor range becuase i work wierd hours. Well i have to go wednesday for the test/range time...wish me luck

Massachusetts Rifle Association

I'm planning on joining the Massachusetts Rifle Association (MRA) next Sunday at their 11th Annual Fun Day
Sponsored By
Four Seasons Firearms of Woburn
Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:30am to 2:00pm

Because I have difficulty walking, I would like to ask members of the MRA if the Club has any HP parking spots or any other accommodations for the disabled?

Thanks very much.

Sadly, no.

I know of at least one member who shoots from a wheelchair, and there is one lowered bench on the Loeb (middle bench). But there are stairs, no ramp to the porch, and no designated handicapped parking. Though if you go to the MRA at any time other than a Saturday or Sunday afternoon you will usually get prime parking. The lot isn't that big, so even a bad spot isn't that bad. And you can also park along the curb directly across from the stairs. It's private property so it's not like you'll get a ticket. [wink]

Though a ramp would be a good idea. Not only for wheelchair and handicapped access, but for all of those wheeled range bags and anyone who wants to bring in a few hundred pounds of ammo to store in their lockers *cough cough*.

Someone asked my Wife at the GOAL table (Marlboro show) if GOAL maintained a list of HP accessible clubs. The request was passed on to GOAL and they are more actively (it was on the club form, but largely ignored) request that info from clubs. Personally I have given GOAL info on 4 clubs that I know about.

This is essential info that should be readily available and everyone reading this should make sure that their clubs are properly represented (as fully, partially or not HP accessible).

Someone asked my Wife at the GOAL table (Marlboro show) if GOAL maintained a list of HP accessible clubs. The request was passed on to GOAL and they are more actively (it was on the club form, but largely ignored) request that info from clubs. Personally I have given GOAL info on 4 clubs that I know about.

Great timing. This was a discussion we have had at out club in southern NH. We are changing the entrance to the main clubhouse to include a handicap ramp to replace the barely adequate one in place now. The indoor range is below ground but it can be made HC assessable with a little work.

The outdoor range will be made HC accessible when a new concrete pad in poured along with other modifications.

I installed the HC parking sign and the club members do not abuse the spot which is a good to see.

Very regrettably I recall our discussions on making my first club (Sharon F&G) HP accessible! A good friend, former LEO and truck driver was made paraplegic by an idiot who ran a red light. He was riding his motorcycle to work (~3AM) as a truck driver. He was a competitive shooter and we set about making a ramp from the parking lot to the clubhouse to accommodate him. Everything else except the clubroom upstairs was on that one level.

Proud to say that Braintree R&P is 100% accessible. We have a handful of active members that I know personally and are wheelchair bound.

I consider Mansfield F&G to be accessible as there is only ~4" rise to the concrete pad in front of the clubhouse. Ranges and rest of place is accessible.

Anyone else planning on being there/joining Sunday? Wish I could hang out for the whole day but I got stuck attending a Baby Christening in Chicopee,Ma so Im stopping by at 9 or so to drop off my check. Ill probably be the only moron there dressed in a Shirt and Tie..

My wait has begun

I filed my application in Burlington this morning and am interested in meeting some people from MRA as I consider joining. Are there any events/gatherings open for prospective members planned in the near future?

You missed the biggest of the year, but if you're interested in joining come down on a Wednesday night (6-8) or Sunday morning (9-12) when the office is open.

Went to MRA today..very happy all the pulleys were working in the Loeb..other than the heat/vent i was happy as usuall...they will get me for another year

Even better news is that the new target retrieval system is set to go in the week of December 17th. While Loeb will be closed for the week so the company can put the system in, hopefully the issue of broken pulleys will be a thing of the past.

Ok, question here...Since I know Massman usually checks up on this thread:

I received a postcard reminding me "again" that annual dues are to be paid by December 31st...

I have not received a single "renewal" form in the mail, and this is in fact the first postcard I received, as well.

What's the story?...I'd be glad to not fork over my money, but will be upset if my key faub doesn't work anymore.

Ok, question here...Since I know Massman usually checks up on this thread:

I received a postcard reminding me "again" that annual dues are to be paid by December 31st...

I have not received a single "renewal" form in the mail, and this is in fact the first postcard I received, as well.

What's the story?...I'd be glad to not fork over my money, but will be upset if my key faub doesn't work anymore.

Hi Dreppucci,

We send out dues bills the beginning of September. It is the standard 1 pager that goes in a #10 envelope. We usually send out a reminder postcard in early November, then send the final dues letter in December. We send out 3 notices starting in September as per the bylaws of the club. I like to send the the final dues bill in letter form in case the first letter was misplaced. In fact it will be going out next Monday. If you got the dues postcard and not the first letter it must have gotten lost in the mail.

Don't worry about your fob being turned off. We don't do anything until January. You can always call the club on either Wednesday evenings or Sunday mornings to see if your payment has been received. Most of the time a problem occurs when a member has moved and does not notify the club of the change of address. If this happens just call the office and we can straighten the situation out. The office number is 781-933-2138.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom