Massachusetts LTC in Vehicle

I can assure you that, at my age, I’d walk away from the vehicle forgetting that the gun was sitting there on the steering column. Probably wouldn’t even remember to lock my doors. For me the only safe place for a gun is on my person or in a locked safe (I have a Console Vault in both my truck and my car).

Not just shoes! And if you are in MA, chances are you are currently a felon under the all the stupid laws (but I take your point that you have not been convicted yet...).

That Waiting in MA keeps killing us all! [crying][crying]
Only jpk's NES posts do offer us some hope in the far away future!
op.jpg

Don't listen to someone who "told you at Christmas". For the real scoop, ask a cop or gun store clerk. Jack.
someone I know was in Virginia, and wanted some info on the state gun laws (the asker is from elsewhere), so they called the Virginia State Police (or whatever they go by, name-wise. "Just ask at a gun shop," they were told.

{laugh]

Yeah the key here is "direct control" and this is not the only place that phrase is used in MGL to talk about handling guns. It's kind of ambiguous ...
This may help:
5zjw5v.jpg

Every Massachusetts gun owner should take a class on the MGL and regulations that apply to gun owners. The ass you save might be yours.

You should also know what the terms possession, carrying, transporting, and storage mean to gun owners. Look them up in the MGL. Don’t trust someone else’s interpretation as at the end of the day
This book, just about an inch thick, and only 394 pages should help clear up a lot of misconception and gray areas![rofl]
le guide to firearms laws.jpg

I wouldn’t recommend asking a cop at all, that might be the worst thing to do. I’d actually be hesitant to ask a gun store clerk as well.
Yup!!!! Definetly don’t ask a cop!😂😂. I have immediate family and good friends who are Cops and don’t have a clue about the gun laws in this state. Good news is they don’t care because they know we are not the problem with society.👍🏻

Don't listen to someone who "told you at Christmas". For the real scoop, ask a cop or gun store clerk. Jack.
Ive actually found the best and most accurate advice from the person working the gun counter at Bass Pro Shops. Real pros.

Also, if you ever want to know exactly how to renovate your bathroom, the super helpful people at Home Depot are whom I would ask

If you have to exit the vehicle and leave your gun in the vehicle because you are going into a place that doesn't allow guns, you need to make sure at least one person in the vehicle has a LTC that is the same as yours (If your talking like you are a LTC A)...

The reason is if you leave a gun in a vehicle with someone in that vehicle that doesn't have a license that person would get arrested for possession of a firearm without a license...

If you have to exit the vehicle and leave your gun in the vehicle because you are going into a place that doesn't allow guns, you need to make sure at least one person in the vehicle has a LTC that is the same as yours (If your talking like you are a LTC A)...

The reason is if you leave a gun in a vehicle with someone in that vehicle that doesn't have a license that person would get arrested for possession of a firearm without a license...
Unless secured in a lock box obviously.

Great point. I do have one of those under the seat lockable safes with a cable lock that runs throigh the chassis of the seat as well. This is for when you absolutely, positively find yourself driving to one of those places where you cannot carry. I believe this will suffice to if there were other members in the car that didn’t have an LTC.👍🏻

When you leave a handgun in the vehicle that is not under direct control, it has to be locked in a case.

So, if the other person has an LTC, you need to hand over the gun ir lock it in a case before leaving.

The short answer is, OP, stop making your life complicated and carry the gun in a holster, forget about all that fancy junk to put the gun somewhere else in the car.

Thanks all. That's what I thought. Especially is he's in the house or something. It is not direct control or supervised. Anyone could open the door and....

We had a friend a long time ago who went hunting with my brother. He shot a hole in the kitchen floor with a GI 45, his stereo, and he was so drunk we had to tell him to aim at the deer in the middle. So, I've seen too much carelessness.
At least you let him keep his gun and helped aim it for him. Poor floor and stereo. Always drink heavily and hunt with a pistol in the kitchen. [hmmm]

I can leave Megan in the car. She has the LTC. License To Crap on the seats. Jack.

When you leave a handgun in the vehicle that is not under direct control, it has to be locked in a case.

So, if the other person has an LTC, you need to hand over the gun ir lock it in a case before leaving.

The short answer is, OP, stop making your life complicated and carry the gun in a holster, forget about all that fancy junk to put the gun somewhere else in the car.
Broc, I have a feeling this thread is not about some cute little gun in a holster. Maybe OP wants us to address the other occupants in his ride first? They may keep making his life a little bit complicated.
io.gif

Unless secured in a lock box obviously.

Great point. I do have one of those under the seat lockable safes with a cable lock that runs throigh the chassis of the seat as well. This is for when you absolutely, positively find yourself driving to one of those places where you cannot carry. I believe this will suffice to if there were other members in the car that didn’t have an LTC.👍🏻

Don't forget to unload it before storing it in the car:

"Handguns: Under an LTC, the holder is allowed to transport a loaded or unloaded handgun on his person or in a motor vehicle if the handgun is under his direct control. If the handgun is not under his direct control or is left unattended, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container."

According to mass.gov Gun ownership in Massachusetts (no, I didn't look up the MGL)

Back
Top Bottom