Massachusetts LTC in Vehicle

Even if locked in the safe and cable locked to the chasse of the car?
EDIT: The person in the vehicle becomes the "person in control of the weapon"... If that person does not have a license they are in trouble if a LEO checks the vehicle... Or you can put it in a vehicle safe or lock box... (sorry, when I read that the 1st time I thought he said "glove box"...

Last edited:
I think you got this wrong. No one is in control of a locked away firearm. If that were they case anyone in a house would be in control of all the firearms in a safe.
I never said anything about a "Locked Away Gun" in my original statement...

Plus Home Laws are different from Vehicle Laws...

Please cite your research
Unless they hand over the key or combo to the cop nobody is getting hit with possession of a secured firearm.

In my original statement I never said anything about a "Locked Away Gun"...
Everyone is misreading my first post thinking I said something that I didn't say...

Last edited:
Nothing to realize here - his statements are wrong.
A gun that is locked away is under no one’s control. His wife would have been perfectly fine in the vehicle without an LTC with his gun locked and only him having a key.

I never said anything in my original post about the Gun being "Locked Away"...
Everyone is reading something that isn't in that post...

Yes, a gun just left in the vehicle (EDIT) under the control of another person that has a LTC is different than a gun that is in a safe or a lock box...

Again, I never said that I locked the gun away in a safe or a lock box in my original post...

Last edited:
Assuming he talked to USCCA (a) Did he get the answer from a licensed attorney and (b) Was the attorney licensed to practice in MA?

Again, I never said I got that information from the USCCA...

Yes, it was a licensed attorney, and he was (or still is, I haven't talked to him in years) an attorney that practiced gun laws in MA...

Everyone is reading something that isn't in that post...
Yes, a gun just left in the vehicle is different than a gun that is in a safe or a lock box, I never said that I locked the gun away in a safe or a lock box in my original post...

If you just leave a gun in a vehicle without having it secured properly, you are committing a crime whether or not someone who is unlicensed is in the car.

If you just leave a gun in a vehicle without having it secured properly, you are committing a crime whether or not someone who is unlicensed is in the car.

Not if you leave the gun "under the control" of that other person in the vehicle that has an LTC...

Sorry I should have stated it that way...

Last edited:
Yes, it is secured in a locked case but the person in the vehicle is the one that has "control" of that gun (EDIT: if it is not in a locked safe)... that is in that locked safe... Sorry, that's how I should have answered that, my bad...

Believe me or don't believe me, if you have USCCA (or a good gun lawyer) contact your lawyer and they will tell you I'm correct...

EDIT: everyone is misreading my original post, I never said anything about the gun being in a safe or locked away...
Yup, as soon as you leave the vehicle and leave the gun it then becomes under control of who is left in the vehicle...

I found this out because my wife did not have a LTC, so she would have gotten in trouble if I left my gun...

She went and got her LTC, and she was then covered...

EDIT: Sorry I answered this at the time incorrectly, locked in a safe is different, locked in a safe the others in the vehicle are OK...
If you exit the vehicle and just leave your gun with another person that doesn't have a LTC then that's when they can get in trouble...

MA vehicle laws are different than home laws...

Plus, in my original statement I never said anything about a "Locked Away Gun"...

Then you are putting them in danger of being arrested for having a firearm without a license...

Trust me, I researched this when my wife didn't have an LTC...

Plus, in my original statement I never said anything about a "Locked Away Gun"...

@DavidC77

Quoting a bunch of your misleading posts - if you make an ambiguous leading statement like "if you have USCCA..." it makes the reader believe you are stating that you asked that question and received that response. If that is not true then it is on YOU for intentionally misleading people with leading statements.

You wrote "Yup, as soon as you leave the vehicle and leave the gun it then becomes under control of who is left in the vehicle..." in response to
@safetyfirst2125 statement: "Bruh. I leave my guns locked up with other non-LTC holders all the time, including my children. It’s called a safe for a reason."
Again a directly leading statement once you claim you weren't talking about guns in a safe. That thread of quotes was decisively about a firearm in a secure container - don't bullshit around about that's not what you were talking about.

Gun Laws are hard enough as it is without people spouting off bad info without citations and trying to lead newbies to believe them with ambiguous leading statements calling to some uninvolved authority (USCCA or unnamed attorney)

If you did contact a trusted source for your bad information - sorry you got bad info and please out the offender. Otherwise, please cite relevant code and case law to support your position.

Aaron

Yeah you did - right where I highlighted in purple below

Then you edited you post to add contradicting statements

Yes, it is secured in a locked case but the person in the vehicle is the one that has "control" of that gun (EDIT: if it is not in a locked safe)... that is in that locked safe... Sorry, that's how I should have answered that, my bad...

Believe me or don't believe me, if you have USCCA (or a good gun lawyer) contact your lawyer and they will tell you I'm correct...

EDIT: everyone is misreading my original post, I never said anything about the gun being in a safe or locked away...

Yeah you did - right where I highlighted in purple below

Then you edited you post to add contradicting statements

The post you are showing where you highlight part of what I said in purple is not my original post...

This is how it started with my 1st post to the OP question:

The OP went on about a few things but at the end of his post this is what he asked:

So this idea of carrying a loaded weapon, open, in a vehicle just doesn't seem right.

Would love to hear some thoughts from Mass veterans.

And this is what I answered him with (there is nothing about a "Locked Gun, Safe or Lock Box" ever said by me...):

If you have to exit the vehicle and leave your gun in the vehicle because you are going into a place that doesn't allow guns, you need to make sure at least one person in the vehicle has a LTC that is the same as yours (If your talking like you are a LTC A)...

The reason is if you leave a gun in a vehicle with someone in that vehicle that doesn't have a license that person would get arrested for possession of a firearm without a license...

As I've answered and edited, I never said in my original post anything about a safe or a lock box...
That was other people thinking I said that...

I'm done saying anything else on this!!!

Last edited:
The post you are showing where you highlight part of what I said in purple is not my original post...

This is how it started with my 1st post to the OP question:

The OP went on about a few things but at the end of his post this is what he asked:

So this idea of carrying a loaded weapon, open, in a vehicle just doesn't seem right.

Would love to hear some thoughts from Mass veterans.

And this is what I answered him with (there is nothing about a "Locked Gun, Safe or Lock Box" ever said by me...):

If you have to exit the vehicle and leave your gun in the vehicle because you are going into a place that doesn't allow guns, you need to make sure at least one person in the vehicle has a LTC that is the same as yours (If your talking like you are a LTC A)...

The reason is if you leave a gun in a vehicle with someone in that vehicle that doesn't have a license that person would get arrested for possession of a firearm without a license...

As I've answered and edited, I never said in my original post anything about a safe or a lock box...
That was other people thinking I said that...

I'm done saying anything else on this!!!

Keep digging - My comments were in reference to the respective quotes from you responding to posts specifically about a firearm in a secure container.
No one questioned the legality of leaving an unsecured weapon in a vehicle (with or without an unlicensed person present)
You doubled down
You were wrong

A firearm stored in a secure container can be in the presence of an unlicensed individual without legal consequence - the location is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom