• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts LTC in Vehicle

Don't forget to unload it before storing it in the car:

"Handguns: Under an LTC, the holder is allowed to transport a loaded or unloaded handgun on his person or in a motor vehicle if the handgun is under his direct control. If the handgun is not under his direct control or is left unattended, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk, or other secure container."

According to mass.gov Gun ownership in Massachusetts (no, I didn't look up the MGL)
Yes! Forgot that. I unload it before locking it up.👍🏻

When you leave a handgun in the vehicle that is not under direct control, it has to be locked in a case.

So, if the other person has an LTC, you need to hand over the gun ir lock it in a case before leaving.

The short answer is, OP, stop making your life complicated and carry the gun in a holster, forget about all that fancy junk to put the gun somewhere else in the car.
Let me throw a wrinkle in….if your in MA and you hand it over to a LTC buddy while you run into the Federal Building real quick, do you have to complete the transfer through the portal?🤔🤔

Unless secured in a lock box obviously.

EDIT: The person in the vehicle becomes the "person in control of the weapon"... If that person does not have a license they are in trouble if a LEO checks the vehicle... Or you can put it in a vehicle safe... (sorry when I read that the 1st time I thought he said "glove box"...

Last edited:
My question is what happens when you leave the vehicle running when gassin up?

Four things there:

1. You are not in control of the firearm
2. You have exited the vehicle and left it running which is against MA Law
3. You have exited the vehicle and left it running which is against the Fire Marshall's Law
4. You exited the vehicle and turned "control of the firearm" over to the other (or other's) in the vehicle, if they are not licensed, they are in trouble if a LEO checks your vehicle...

Great point. I do have one of those under the seat lockable safes with a cable lock that runs throigh the chassis of the seat as well. This is for when you absolutely, positively find yourself driving to one of those places where you cannot carry. I believe this will suffice to if there were other members in the car that didn’t have an LTC.👍🏻
Wrong, the person in the vehicle becomes the "person in control of the weapon"... If that person does not have a license they are in trouble if a LEO checks the vehicle...

EDIT: The person in the vehicle becomes the "person in control of the weapon"... If that person does not have a license they are in trouble if a LEO checks the vehicle... Or you can put it in a vehicle safe... (sorry, when I read that the 1st time I thought he said "glove box"...

Last edited:
What the hell ???
That's the Double-Secret Probation of Modern Policing.
  1. Cuff'n'stuff perp in the back of prowl car for whatevs...
  2. Charge perp with being unlicensed individual in control of the riot shotgun locked to the rack behind the driver's headrest in the front compartment; the front compartment separated from the back seat by the lexan sneeze guard that the guys down at the motor pool scored from the failed Country Buffet down by the airport.
  3. Profit.
It's settled law, man.

Yup!!!! Definetly don’t ask a cop!😂😂. I have immediate family and good friends who are Cops and don’t have a clue about the gun laws in this state. Good news is they don’t care because they know we are not the problem with society.👍🏻

My daughter's bil is a state cop. I one asked him what they carry and he "wasn't sure". I'm sure he would give the same answer about gun laws.

Wrong, the person in the vehicle becomes the "person in control of the weapon"... If that person does not have a license they are in trouble if a LEO checks the vehicle...
I think you got this wrong. No one is in control of a locked away firearm. If that were they case anyone in a house would be in control of all the firearms in a safe.

Bruh. I leave my guns locked up with other non-LTC holders all the time, including my children. It’s called a safe for a reason.

I’m a firm believer of ”on body” only. There is never any risk of leaving it behind accidentally.

Every Massachusetts gun owner should take a class on the MGL and regulations that apply to gun owners. The ass you save might be yours.

You should also know what the terms possession, carrying, transporting, and storage mean to gun owners. Look them up in the MGL. Don’t trust someone else’s interpretation as at the end of the day YOU will be responsible.

Bob

Holster malfunction. *cough*.

Dude unzipped to pee in a movie theater bathroom a few stalls down from me. Left the door open. Started off. Then PLOOOP goes something very metallic.

I calmly asked him if everything was okay. Then blocked for him while he rinsed it off in the sink and put it back away. His face burning pretty hard.

Looked like a brand new 1911.

So if inleave my house with a gun properly locked in a safe, and a person is lawfully in the house unlicensed, and the cops happen to come by- unlicensed possession of firearms while following the storage laws. Got it

Holster malfunction. *cough*.

Dude unzipped to pee in a movie theater bathroom a few stalls down from me. Left the door open. Started off. Then PLOOOP goes something very metallic.

I calmly asked him if everything was okay. Then blocked for him while he rinsed it off in the sink and put it back away. His face burning pretty hard.

Looked like a brand new 1911.

Man that’s a bummer; especially with a nice 1911.

Did you get his NES screen name?

In MA, what do you do if you're carrying and you need to mail something at the post office? Don't you have to strip it down to the pins, lock it in a couple different MA AG approved lock cases, put it in the trunk, unload the magazines and lock the bullets and magazines in two other separate lock boxes all in the trunk? Then you can load it all up and put it in your holster and on your belt so it's back under your 'direct control' and go on about your day?

In MA, what do you do if you're carrying and you need to mail something at the post office? Don't you have to strip it down to the pins, lock it in a couple different MA AG approved lock cases, put it in the trunk, unload the magazines and lock the bullets and magazines in two other separate lock boxes all in the trunk? Then you can load it all up and put it in your holster and on your belt so it's back under your 'direct control' and go on about your day?
Not sure if this post is serious but....

Well the post office thing is federal and the parking lot is fine you just can't carry inside ( Federal judge: Post Office violated man’s rights by banning gun from parking lot )

You drop the magazine, remove the chambered round, put it all in a locked case, trunk or other secure container
No need to separate the firearm/ammo/magazine and "approved lock case" is not a thing
You can drive around all day like that... Even leave your vehicle. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom