• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal 1.1 is ONLINE

If the thing is broken, which it is, groups such as C2A and GOAL should have already had injunctions slapped against its implementation until it worked for the citizen all the time, every time for every person. 24/7/365 without fail. That's what we had with the paper forms. If the ball got dropped on CHSB's end with paper, that's not our fault. We did our job and have the copy to prove it. Now the burden has shifted away from the CHSB and right onto our shoulders. Maybe some of you are cool with that but I am not. If the facade of our messed up "registration" system has to play out, at least maintain it in such an unreliable form so that prosecutions under it would never make it past a motion hearing. Make it difficult for CHSB, make it expensive and make it THEIR headache.

Our docility stays like this and the next Godwin's meme will be labeled "Massachusetts" in the second photo. "Yeah, I know it's bad to line up so we can register all our magazines but..."

Lol if you think a court in this part of the country would award a pro gun injuction on a fast basis you're smoking some good drugs....

So what's the recourse? Throw in the towel? Continue making CHSB's life easier?

Seriously, there's a lot of tough talk around here that eventually starts sounding like baa, baa,baaaaaa.

1928-Germany-2013-Connecticut.jpg

Who's next?

Long lines for gun shows in 1928?

I love how the page still makes suggestions for people to do things NOT REQUIRED BY LAW.... ever. ...

Inheritance
Initiate Transaction » Add Decedent/Beneficiary » Add Weapon » Verify Transaction » Confirmation
Enter the requested information in the form below. Please note that "*" denotes a required field. Use the "Help" function located in the top right-hand corner for assistance.
Decedent Information
FID/LTC License No.:*
Last Name:*
Date of Birth:*
Beneficiary Information
FID/LTC License No.:
PIN:

Interestingly, this flies in opposition to the advice given by Scrivner.

He consistently advised sending in FA-10 filled out with no source, just your info as the receiver.

Interestingly, this flies in opposition to the advice given by Scrivner.

He consistently advised sending in FA-10 filled out with no source, just your info as the receiver.

I give the same advice. AFAIK there is no legal basis for requiring that info. Additionally (from personal experience) when a family member dies you don't always find all the legal documentation/IDs/etc. Plus if someone dies from a miserable disease like cancer, they may well have let their LTC lapse, as that wasn't a priority when you are fighting for your life or given x months to live. Note that the "*" means mandatory info, the system won't let you proceed without it. IIRC, the last time I looked (Rev. 1.0) it also wanted date of death, another irrelevant piece of info not required by law.

Here's another scenario . . . Both Fed Law and MGL allow you to inherit guns from a deceased who was NOT a MA resident. So what is that person's MA LTC # again???

I give the same advice. AFAIK there is no legal basis for requiring that info. Additionally (from personal experience) when a family member dies you don't always find all the legal documentation/IDs/etc. Plus if someone dies from a miserable disease like cancer, they may well have let their LTC lapse, as that wasn't a priority when you are fighting for your life or given x months to live. Note that the "*" means mandatory info, the system won't let you proceed without it. IIRC, the last time I looked (Rev. 1.0) it also wanted date of death, another irrelevant piece of info not required by law.

Here's another scenario . . . Both Fed Law and MGL allow you to inherit guns from a deceased who was NOT a MA resident. So what is that person's MA LTC # again???

Hmm... looks like they created a no-win situation by adding those "required fields". I guess they don't really want full compliance because a lot of guys would just say "screw it" and not bother completing the registration if they didn't have the required info.

Hmm... looks like they created a no-win situation by adding those "required fields". I guess they don't really want full compliance because a lot of guys would just say "screw it" and not bother completing the registration if they didn't have the required info.

More like CAN NOT complete that form.

I tell people just to use "registration" and ignore the screen that asks the source of the gun. Gets the job done legally and is the same as using the old paper forms that didn't have an "inheritance" option.

The obvious solution is people should just push the registration button instead. This is an obvious attempt at the state for harvesting information that they're not entitled to by law.

-Mike

The obvious solution is people should just push the registration button instead. This is an obvious attempt at the state for harvesting information that they're not entitled to by law.

-Mike

Exactly. Gov't is intentionally "farming" information for mis-use later.

I was involved in an situation where a LO was looking up to see if a dead person (who was in his 80s when he died) had a valid FID or LTC when he died . . . 4 years earlier!!! What was he going to do, exhume the body and prosecute him for possession without a license? In this case what we were trying to do was turn the guns into the PD for destruction (they were rusted and the current heir lived in NYC where guns were a no-go anyway).

Not sure if this has been asked and answered, if so I missed it.
I know this portal is part of the changes to 128A for FTF sales, which required the seller to use a form "provided by" FRB, which was the FA10 and became the EFA10 and now the "portal".
Was 128B also changed (aquisition/build reported by the acquirer) or is that still the same as before, where it specifies notification simply "in writing" within 7 days of bringing into MA, but with no mention that this needs to be a form "provided by" the FRB?
Where in the current law is a particular form or portal required if reporting an out of state long gun aquisition, build, or CMP purchase?
These are not in state transfers and not subject to 128A.

Not sure if this has been asked and answered, if so I missed it.
I know this portal is part of the changes to 128A for FTF sales, which required the seller to use a form "provided by" FRB, which was the FA10 and became the EFA10 and now the "portal".
Was 128B also changed (aquisition/build reported by the acquirer) or is that still the same as before, where it specifies notification simply "in writing" within 7 days of bringing into MA, but with no mention that this needs to be a form "provided by" the FRB?
Where in the current law is a particular form or portal required if reporting an out of state long gun aquisition, build, or CMP purchase?
These are not in state transfers and not subject to 128A.

Because, although governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, it sometimes comes to pass that they become destructive of these ends.

I will,But I swear I thought sect.3 Forbids the States.Jump to navigation

Cornell University Law SchoolSearch Cornell

Support Us!

Search

About LII

Get the law

Lawyer directory

Legal encyclopedia

Help out

U.S. Code
› Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 44 › § 926 ..
18 U.S. Code § 926 - Rules and regulations

Current through Pub. L. 113-296, except 113-287, 113-291, 113-295. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

US Code

Notes

Authorities (CFR)

prev | next

(a) The Attorney General may prescribe only such rules and regulations as are necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter, including—
(1) regulations providing that a person licensed under this chapter, when dealing with another person so licensed, shall provide such other licensed person a certified copy of this license;

(2) regulations providing for the issuance, at a reasonable cost, to a person licensed under this chapter, of certified copies of his license for use as provided under regulations issued under paragraph (1) of this subsection; and

(3) regulations providing for effective receipt and secure storage of firearms relinquished by or seized from persons described in subsection (d)(8) or (g)(8) ofsection 922.
No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary’s [1] authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

(b) The Attorney General shall give not less than ninety days public notice, and shall afford interested parties opportunity for hearing, before prescribing such rules and regulations.

(c) The Attorney General shall not prescribe rules or regulations that require purchasers of black powder under the exemption provided in section 845 (a)(5) of this title to complete affidavits or forms attesting to that exemption.

[1] So in original. Probably should be “Attorney General’s”.

LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.

U.S. Code Toolbox

Wex: Criminal Law: Overview.

Download the PDF (2 pgs)

Title 18 USC, RSS Feed

Table of Popular Names

Parallel Table of Authorities

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Share on email

Share on facebook

Share on twitter

More Sharing Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay Involved

LII Announce Blog
LII Supreme Court Bulletin
Make a donation
Contribute content
Become a sponsor
Give feedback

Find a Lawyer

Lawyers
near Newburyport, Massachusetts

Lawyers: get listed for free!

Eric Schutzbank Esq

Arbitration & Mediation, Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law

North Andover, MA

Michelle A. McHale

Personal Injury, Real Estate Law, Probate

Lynnfield, MA

David M. Silva

Personal Injury, Real Estate Law, Business Law

Lynnfield, MA

Kathleen M. McCarthy

Appeals & Appellate, Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, DUI & DWI

North Andover, MA

Lorraine Belostock Esq.

Criminal Law, DUI & DWI

Boston, MA

See More Lawyers
All lawyers

About LII

Contact us

Advertise here

Help

Terms of use

Privacy

Last edited:
So, what happens if I send in a Serialized FA-10. Prosecution? Loss of Lic.?

Have I broken any laws?

Last edited:
OK i checked my status on there. it didn't say any restriction like my license because i heard in 2015 they changed their license status. Does it means i can carry conceal?
IT said license type: Resident Class A Large Capacity license to carry firearms.
It doesn't show restriction and stuff?

Alright something is queer.
I just went back to the Port-hole and the red line at the bottom that said something to the effect
* We will no longer accept paper transactions, something, something...
has been removed, within like 10 minutes.

That's service!

Alright something is queer.
I just went back to the Port-hole and the red line at the bottom that said something to the effect
* We will no longer accept paper transactions, something, something...
has been removed, within like 10 minutes.

That's service!

Maybe that was Michaela's reaction to the case I laid out in my Email to her a week ago??

No idea, she did say that she'd get back to me (and she will) but I haven't heard any responses yet. I'm sure that she's busy tuning everything up.

We can hope!

Len, it was there when I posted @ 2:15 (post # 49)
and now, POOF!

Absolutely! It's not about acceptance of registration EVER, but if we choose to abide by the law, then having a system that works is an improvement since most people we (as non criminals) will ever deal with will want to do transactions by the book anyway so it's either this way, or pay for transfer at a shop.

In 1937 and 1938, German authorities again stepped up legislative persecution of German Jews. The government set out to impoverish Jews and remove them from the German economy by requiring them to register their property.

I'm sure the Jews were concerned that the registration laws worked properly, and that they wanted to comply by the book....

Any citizen that believes in our Bill of Rights should consider having a few unregistered firearms available. Do we choose to abide by the law, or by the Constitution? Criminals are not born, they are made -- by our laws.

So, what happens if I send in a Serialized FA-10. Prosecution? Loss of Lic.?

Have I broken any laws?

I mailed one in on March 16 on the way to work, then saw this thread and another. Nothing in the mail yet and no surprise visitors here yet.

If the thing is broken, which it is, groups such as C2A and GOAL should have already had injunctions slapped against its implementation until it worked for the citizen all the time, every time for every person. 24/7/365 without fail. That's what we had with the paper forms.
Great, another legal scholar who wants to tell everyone what GOAL and Comm2A should have done. Because if the strategy had any chance in hell of working, they still wouldn't have done it.

GMAFB

Last edited:
I will,But I swear I thought sect.3 Forbids the States.

18 USC 926 said:
>snip<

No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established.

>snip<

The MA reporting system is exempt due to being codified prior to FOPA.

If the thing is broken, which it is, groups such as C2A and GOAL should have already had injunctions slapped against its implementation until it worked for the citizen all the time, every time for every person.

[rofl]

I want unicorns and free ice cream at my birthday party, too!!!!! "Injuction related to gun minutae" in MA... not sure if serious. Either group is smart enough to know that is a complete waste of money/resources in this arena.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing because when's the last time you've seen an S128A/B prosecution? Those are even rarer than the AWB BS. Is the 7 day provision still in the law? If it is, then there's no legal liability for a late filing that doesn't happen in the moment of the transfer. I'm no fan of the law but that's a pretty big out. Hell S128A/B is a pretty big out by itself, considering that anyone that reads it for longer than about 5 minutes runs the risk of getting an aneurysm trying to interpret it properly.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom