• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts' gun registry

I figured they had this, but never knew for sure.

Cops want total control, so it's no surprise. It's bullshit though, this info should be behind a warrant-wall at least, not to mention not existing at all.

More questions :

I wonder if your LTC is pulled for non suitability ( or worse ) , if that whole menu section gets deleted ?

What if you are carrying someone elses handgun ? like a test trial to see if you like it or not ? do you get arrested for an unregistered firearm ?

Yup, not new news, but it doesn't make it any less concerning.

I've read on here that even if you were to get rid of those guns, get more, then get rid of those, they would ALL show up. So the same exact gun could be listed under 4 people if that's how many times it has been transferred. Assuming of course it was done in MA and registered.......Do I have that right?

Welcome to CJISweb! I've been discussing this in my MA Gun Law Seminar now for many months wrt "do I tell an officer that I have a gun if stopped" . . . it's a sticky subject as more of us are likely to face felony stops for speeding as CJISweb gets rolled out on more town MDTs. At least that is my prediction.

That is most likely the case. If it is the same as running it from the PD it will show everything ever registered with an FA-10. I doubt that they have a "sort" mechanism built into that software to show only last registered owner.

That is what I heard as well.
I think it will take a human to go through the records and see what is still owned and what was transferred.

Someone will chime in and tell us more.

This is a good reason to keep all your fa10's handy.

Not really all it needs is a good search/sort mechanism in the software. FRB already has this capability and issues "Certified Lists" upon request of the PD but that takes time and is not directly accessible by the PDs.

It's not necessarily what is registered to you, as only new purchases and sales where you submitted an fa10 Are there. I've run mine, it's not even close. I've run many, many plates, with valid ltcs attached. Unless it's a sketchy situation, or it's a domestic response, it doesn't really get a second glance. They are more concerned with the bop, and any active warrants. I've yet to have someone ask to check what guns are registered to the individual, as cjis doesn't have that-just a record of sales.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Welcome to CJISweb! I've been discussing this in my MA Gun Law Seminar now for many months wrt "do I tell an officer that I have a gun if stopped" . . . it's a sticky subject as more of us are likely to face felony stops for speeding as CJISweb gets rolled out on more town MDTs. At least that is my prediction.

There's no duty to inform, right? A guy I work with swears there is, but from my research there is none here, and he told a cop and had to get out, unload the thing, the whole 9 yards. They really should put it into law that it's not a duty, not having it written either way leaves it open for all of us not being sure what to do.

Unless it's a sketchy situation, or it's a domestic response, it doesn't really get a second glance. They are more concerned with the bop, and any active warrants.

It could also be used when they refuse to renew your LTC, or sit on it so long that it expires. Kalifornia is doing it, so Mass can't be far behind.

I just had an ah ha moment! I got a ticket in the mail for a bogus front license plate (I had a Euro plate with my tag numbers and MA on the front). I appealed it. At the appeal, the moonbat clerk was physically upset with me, indicated that if I robbed a bank and sped away, the police would not be able to identify my car. He just made no sense and his attitude was completely off base, despite my calm explanation, bringing the plate to court, claiming ignorance of the regulation, and indicating compliance after the violation. The covering trooper let it go, practically high fived me. I wonder if the magistrate knew about my collection. The police I've encountered so far have been very respectful and it may be due to my LTC.

Don't forget, prior to October 1998 all transfers were done on the old cardboard blue card. Apparently some got lost in the transmission as I am still listed as owning several firearms that I got rid of over 25 years ago.

Thats still true with FA-10's. If you sell a gun out of state, there is no mechanism to remove it from this assholian registry.

In case you forgot, registration leads to confiscation.

It honestly doesn't matter if they're registering "transfers" as they like to call it. What type of transfers? Oh yeah. Firearms transfers.

In case you forgot, registration leads to confiscation.

It honestly doesn't matter if they're registering "transfers" as they like to call it. What type of transfers? Oh yeah. Firearms transfers.

Yup, and it's coming to a neighborhood near you.

This won't be just in MA pretty soon.

There's no duty to inform, right? A guy I work with swears there is, but from my research there is none here, and he told a cop and had to get out, unload the thing, the whole 9 yards. They really should put it into law that it's not a duty, not having it written either way leaves it open for all of us not being sure what to do.

If it doesn't mention it, it doesn't exist. Laws don't tell you what to do, they tell you what NOT to do.

No, you don't have to inform whatever MA JBT stops you that you're carrying a high-capacity semi-automatic machine pistol assault clip weapon Glock 19 and a pair of Fiskars. Some people swear it's better if you do, I say screw 'em. They didn't tell you THEY were carrying when they walked up to the window, right?

There is no duty to inform per MGL, however, some towns LO's require it. This puts you in a sticky situation. If you do not inform and it gets back to your LO that you didn't, you could get your LTC pulled. In the issuing town, the officers are probably expecting to be informed. In other towns, probably not. It may be perceived as a threat, or at least reported that way when the JBT is explaining how his nightstick broke off in your ass.

There is no duty to inform per MGL, however, some towns LO's require it. This puts you in a sticky situation. If you do not inform and it gets back to your LO that you didn't, you could get your LTC pulled. In the issuing town, the officers are probably expecting to be informed. In other towns, probably not. It may be perceived as a threat, or at least reported that way when the JBT is explaining how his nightstick broke off in your ass.

This is exactly why it's crap, I wouldn't inform unless asked but could get screwed for it? Man. It makes carrying not worth it at times.

I Got pulled over a year ago for speeding and they never asked or mentioned anything about it. I figured he'd at least ask if I had any weapons in the car but he didn't bother. I don't know if it was because it was close to end of shift or he just didn't care. Interesting thread though.

I Got pulled over a year ago for speeding and they never asked or mentioned anything about it. I figured he'd at least ask if I had any weapons in the car but he didn't bother. I don't know if it was because it was close to end of shift or he just didn't care. Interesting thread though.

No, I think it is totally at the whim of the officer and whether he feels that a situation looks "sketchy". No different than the profiling that we all know TSA does, but they say doesn't exist. I was pulled over by a statie in the tunnel leaving Logan last spring, and was carrying, but he never asked, I never told, and surprise... no one got shot!

If they want to make gun owners sweat they should recite the list at every traffic stop where the wife is also in the car.

Wouldn't that be illegal since it could be considered cruel and unusual punishment? I'd stop him mid sentence and just ask to be arrested :)

How is it that anyone is shocked by this? The FA10s are put into a database. The fact that you have an LTC is in a database which makes the FA10s superfluous since they know you have guns. All these systems expose their data though APIs and then other systems pull that data in. You don't have to be Jeff Bezos to put all this together.

And yeah, you really think the feds forget about the fact that a NICS check was called in for a person on a certain date? It doesn't matter if a particular serial number is recorded. They know you bought a gun.

I've never heard of this. Can you name any towns that require this? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom