• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts' gun registry

I just had an ah ha moment! I got a ticket in the mail for a bogus front license plate (I had a Euro plate with my tag numbers and MA on the front). I appealed it. At the appeal, the moonbat clerk was physically upset with me, indicated that if I robbed a bank and sped away, the police would not be able to identify my car. He just made no sense and his attitude was completely off base, despite my calm explanation, bringing the plate to court, claiming ignorance of the regulation, and indicating compliance after the violation. The covering trooper let it go, practically high fived me. I wonder if the magistrate knew about my collection. The police I've encountered so far have been very respectful and it may be due to my LTC.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...081524&highlight=cops+state+house#post3081524

Most of the rank and file seems to be on our side.

Ladies and Gents,

I had an uncomfortable experience today. My brother is a police officer, and from time to time I pop in to his sector to have a coffee with him on his breaks. I did just that today, and due to the coffee shop being a mob scene, we sat in his police vehicle to enjoy our cups of joe. While in there, I asked him to run my vehicle's license plate in order to see if any other police officers had been running my plate recently.

When he pulled up my info, it was pretty standard; name, address, height, weight, skin color, eye color, and also that I had a license to carry concealed weapons, class A, unrestricted. This is where my stomach went into knots: when he clicked the LTC-A portion, a list of all the firearms I have purchased in Massachusetts populated on the screen, along with all corresponding makes, models, calibers, and serial numbers. I knew Massachusetts tracked firearm transfers, and I know that nominally the bureaucrats claim the information isn't used to make a "gun registry", just a "transfer registry", but that screen sure as shit looked like a "registry" to me.

Again, I'm sure nobody here is surprised by this, but it was discomforting to see the information being used as a de facto registry without even offering an excuse, reason, rationale, or other erstwhile explanation.

I hate this state. I can't wait to leave. A few more years and I'm New Hampshire bound.
Thank you for posting this. It is the number one reason why I stayed with the "shall issue" FID for almost 35 years now and purchased all firearms out of state. Any "list" under my name would show the FID # and zero entries as to purchases. The less this state and its nosy bureaucrats know about my personal business, the better.

Welcome to CJISweb! I've been discussing this in my MA Gun Law Seminar now for many months wrt "do I tell an officer that I have a gun if stopped" . . . it's a sticky subject as more of us are likely to face felony stops for speeding as CJISweb gets rolled out on more town MDTs. At least that is my prediction.

That is most likely the case. If it is the same as running it from the PD it will show everything ever registered with an FA-10. I doubt that they have a "sort" mechanism built into that software to show only last registered owner.

Not really all it needs is a good search/sort mechanism in the software. FRB already has this capability and issues "Certified Lists" upon request of the PD but that takes time and is not directly accessible by the PDs.

Why would speeding suddenly become a felony?

Thats still true with FA-10's. If you sell a gun out of state, there is no mechanism to remove it from this assholian registry.

You don't have to file an FA-10 if you sell a gun out of state, if I remember correctly from some other threads here on NES - they don't even pay any attention to FA-10's that are filed for out-of-state transfers. So it basically stays under your name forever even if you do file the FA-10

There is no duty to inform per MGL, however, some towns LO's require it. This puts you in a sticky situation. If you do not inform and it gets back to your LO that you didn't, you could get your LTC pulled. In the issuing town, the officers are probably expecting to be informed.

I disagree, I'm not sure where you're sourcing this from.... unless the LO comes right out and says so when applying for your license. I've never heard of anyone being told this, ever- although it wouldn't surprise me if there was a shithole like canton that mandated it. Notifying in MA is usually pretty stupid idea, unless the situation clearly warrants it.

-Mike

Yup, and it's coming to a neighborhood near you.

This won't be just in MA pretty soon.

Sorry, but I disagree. This would have happened already if it was going to happen. There are only a handful of the 50 states that have anything resembling (state/local) gun registration.

Gun registration is a huge land mine for pols and outside of the moonbat shithole states, none of them want to go near it.

-Mike

I disagree, I'm not sure where you're sourcing this from.... unless the LO comes right out and says so when applying for your license. I've never heard of anyone being told this, ever- although it wouldn't surprise me if there was a shithole like canton that mandated it. Notifying in MA is usually pretty stupid idea, unless the situation clearly warrants it.

-Mike
PM Sent

LenS said:
more of us are likely to face felony stops for speeding as CJISweb gets rolled out on more town MDTs.
Why would speeding suddenly become a felony?

A "Felony Stop" is a specific type of stop, not necessarily associated with a felony. From Wikipedia:
A "felony" or "high-risk" traffic stop occurs when police stop a vehicle which they have strong reason to believe contains a driver or passenger suspected of having committed a serious crime, especially of a nature that would lead the police to believe the suspect(s) may be armed (such as an armed robbery, assault with a weapon, or an outstanding felony warrant for the registered owner). In a high risk stop, officers attempt to provide for everyone's safety by issuing instructions to maintain absolute control over every step of the proceedings.

The only time I heard of it was at an evidence suppression hearing. The attorney was asking about probable cause for a search, and the officer testifying kept repeating "It was a felony stop", but would not define that term.

A "Felony Stop" is a specific type of stop, not necessarily associated with a felony. From Wikipedia:

The only time I heard of it was at an evidence suppression hearing. The attorney was asking about probable cause for a search, and the officer testifying kept repeating "It was a felony stop", but would not define that term.

Interesting. I was also wondering about that after reading Len's post earlier. I wonder if he meant that to imply they could use this info to justify a "felony stop" just because a person showed up as being licensed and potentially armed?

I just glanced at the MA FA-10 form. There is no warning on the form regarding "Under penalties of perjury I certify that..." blah blah blah.

What if somebody prints out 100 copies of the form, and "accidentally" supplies incorrect data (for themselves or other people), and then submits the form to the "authorities". Couldn't the system be filled with reams and reams of bogus data. I'm not suggesting it. I'm just wondering if there are any safeguards. Probably not. very scary. What if 10,000 people were to do this to 100 other people. And then do it again next week?

Interesting. I was also wondering about that after reading Len's post earlier. I wonder if he meant that to imply they could use this info to justify a "felony stop" just because a person showed up as being licensed and potentially armed?

Exactly!

If an officer thinks you may be armed and he's not comfortable with armed citizenry he may well call for backup and they take you out of the car at gun-point!

It's not far-fetched to have this happen in MA, not all the time but enough to be a concern if they know that you have a LTC. Also an excuse to request (more like demand) a fishing expedition in the car with "consent" of course (by intimidation)!

Exactly!

If an officer thinks you may be armed and he's not comfortable with armed citizenry he may well call for backup and they take you out of the car at gun-point!

It's not far-fetched to have this happen in MA, not all the time but enough to be a concern if they know that you have a LTC. Also an excuse to request (more like demand) a fishing expedition in the car with "consent" of course (by intimidation)!

I thought that was where you were going with that. I agree that it is definitely a possibility of this system being used this way, and all it will take is a single "incident" to make the news where a licensed person was seen as putting up a struggle, or otherwise making the officers fear for their safety, and the next thing you know it will be added in as standard procedure. Not far fetched at all to see this happening in the not so distant future - especially here in MA and other commie states. That's also a good point about the fishing expeditions. Most guys would comply to the search for fear of escalating an already ugly situation, even though they would still be well within their rights to refuse the search.

I would think any scrupulous police officer would approach EVERY stop as a potential felony stop. At least if he/she wants to grow old. The computer isn't going to tell the officer who is REALLY behind the wheel of the vehicle...at least not until they start implanting microchips in our heads.

I would think any scrupulous police officer would approach EVERY stop as a potential felony stop. At least if he/she wants to grow old. The computer isn't going to tell the officer who is REALLY behind the wheel of the vehicle...at least not until they start implanting microchips in our heads.

I believe that most already do, but I think you are missing the point. We are worried about the fact that we are easily identified now as gun owners being abused and having us presumed guilty or treated as potential threats just by virtue of the new information they have access to. This will not be the case for the average street criminal though, which is where the REAL threat potential is. Yet another glaring example of a flawed progression of the system.

Understood - but he said "speeding".

Last time I checked - speeding alone is not a felony.

For those who have never used the cjis system, it's a little than you are assuming. Cjis flags all POSSIBLE hits, for ANY information. Officers, at least the ones I work with, don't care about you owNing guns, as law abiding gun owners in this state usually aren't the armed felons they are concerned about. Their chief concern on a traffic stop is the bop-which will show any active cases, warrants, etc. When a person is flagged, its usually a random flag that had nothing to do with that person-their last name, normally. There isn't some bright flashing screen saying this person is potentially dangerous because he owns guns. Their chief concern is, is the person a felon, or had issues of violence in the past. Again, the only time This will come into play is if they are responding to a domestic, or something similar. And, the fd would like to know too, if responding to a structure fire, as, in both cases, it's officer safety. Not for confiscation purposes. Question: how many people here have been pulled over, and questioned how many guns they own? My guess is few, if any. If this is readily available to them, and they were that concerned, the question would be far more frequent.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Happens all the time, just listen to a scanner for a while.

Not in NH. They have to ask if they want to know. Unless they have a feed to filed 4473s (a tin foil hat theory, sure.)

Been pulled over three times and they've always asked. Not sure if the "tell" was the Ron Paul sticker (since removed) or the Gadsden Flag.

Not in NH. They have to ask if they want to know. Unless they have a feed to filed 4473s (a tin foil hat theory, sure.)

Been pulled over three times and they've always asked. Not sure if the "tell" was the Ron Paul sticker (since removed) or the Gadsden Flag.

Should have clarified, listen to a scanner in MA

Staying alert and watching for furtive movements is what keeps an officer alive, so yes treat all like it could be a murderer that you don't know about yet. Whether an officer knows that you MIGHT have a gun or not, really his/her behavior shouldn't be any different.

What I mean by a felony stop is the officer approaches with gun in hand pointed at your head, usually with other officers as well with guns pointed at you. Then they demand you get out of the car and the fun begins.

Not SOP on a MV violation in MA, but I can see some nervous officers who believe that only cops and criminals can/should own guns using that info to treat someone that way. Not good from that perspective.

You don't have to file an FA-10 if you sell a gun out of state, if I remember correctly from some other threads here on NES - they don't even pay any attention to FA-10's that are filed for out-of-state transfers. So it basically stays under your name forever even if you do file the FA-10

That is correct. If you are in MA and sell your entire 300 gun collection out of state, you still own 300 guns according to the criminal history smorgasboard.
You can own ZERO guns and show up as owning a large collection/cache/arsenal/ under the current system. It's a far from perfect system.

If they want to make gun owners sweat they should recite the list at every traffic stop where the wife is also in the car.
You guys need new wives. Mine knows everything I have and says I need to buy more. Texted her today that there was a gun show this weekend and she responded with.....WOOOOHOOOO!!!

reply to the OP, It is disturbing, but, in our hyper connected digital world hardly surprising as you noted. What will be extremely disturbing is when they can tell you your cholesterol levels, current prescriptions, and other medical conditions.

Back
Top Bottom