Massachusetts' gun registry

At the appeal, the moonbat clerk was physically upset with me, indicated that if I robbed a bank and sped away, the police would not be able to identify my car.
Maybe it's just me but on my list of shit to do before robbing a bank, #2 after pick a bank is switch my plates with the ones I pull of a random car in a dark parking lot. Seems like a good idea and I didn't even take a bank robbery class.

Interesting situation. His is ordered to turn them into the station within 30 minutes, but he is prohibited from possessing (or transporting) them.
There are exceptions for surrendering to a licensing authority.

There are exceptions for surrendering to a licensing authority.
Are you referring to Chapter 140, Section 129C(c) ?
(c) To a person voluntarily surrendering a firearm, rifle or shotgun and ammunition therefor to a licensing authority, the colonel of the state police or his designee if prior written notice has been given by said person to the licensing authority or the colonel of the state police, stating the place and approximate time of said surrender;
I don't believe this is "voluntary", and I don't see how one can give prior written notice within 30 minutes.

Now, I can't imagine anyone getting jammed up for surrendering guns under these circumstances, but it does demonstrate the stupidity of our gun laws.

Looks like this is still true to this day. Bringing an old thread to life again. Son got a restraining order. Listed on it were the three serial numbers of the guns he owns and was told he has half hour to produce them and turn them into the station if not on the premise. Registry is true.
Is he going to turn them in?

I would just do a transfer to you. EFa10.

Last edited:
He told them he was transferring to me, they said no way until after they arrive at the station since he still owns them. The Chief told us if they uphold the 209A, which he has a court date of this coming thursday, the guns get moved to a place in Hopedale, and he will give us the info since i can then take the transfer papers over to them and they would release them to me. Otherwise they stay at the POPO's place until the court date.

He told them he was transferring to me, they said no way until after they arrive at the station since he still owns them. The Chief told us if they uphold the 209A, which he has a court date of this coming thursday, the guns get moved to a place in Hopedale, and he will give us the info since i can then take the transfer papers over to them and they would release them to me. Otherwise they stay at the POPO's place until the court date.
Keep us updated.

I hope it is as easy as you describe it.

Do a Bill of Sale for $1. Now you own them and you are just waiting on the Xfer...

Riddle me this: "When does a gun become yours?"
When it is paid in full, or when the FA-10 is filled out...???

The guns may be transferred from the PD ONLY to a state licensed dealer (casually referred to as an FFL, as most also have the state license). This restriction does not apply if the guns are confiscated because the license is revoked for any other reason (in that case, any LTC holder can take possession)

The subject must also surrender all high cap magazines and ammo which will, of course, incure an additional fee if the go to the bonded thefthouse (New England Ballistic Services in Hopedale)

There is no "hold" preventing said transfer prior to any court hearing. The only police "hold" is if the guns are evidence in a possible crime. There is also no mandate as to when they go to a bonded thefthouse.

The 209A will be granted.

The place in Hopedale will charge a hefty fee for their service. You will be serviced like a bull services a cow. It is not uncommon for an immediate redemption of a decent collection to run hundereds, or thousands, of dollars. The mantra of a bonded warehouse is ATF - Always Think Fee.

Get to the PD with a dealer and your attorney. Your attorney needs to document the request and include instructions that the dealer will be there in a timely manner (I'd suggest immediately), and that you will hold them financially responsible if the PD turns the gun over to a bonded warehouse despite your arrangement to have prompt pickup by said licensed dealer.

Do not warn the PD you are on you way with the dealer and attorney. PDs have been known to call the bonded warehouse as say "The owner is on the way with a dealer to get his guns, how quickly can you get here?".

You cannot transfer them after being told you LTC is suspended, but you have 7 day to file the eFA10. It is left to the interested reader to speculate what would happen if you had transferred the guns prior to receiving the suspension order, but were within the deadline and had not yet filed the eFA10.

Last edited:
You cannot transfer them after being told you LTC is suspended, but you have 7 day to file the eFA10. It is left to the interested reader to speculate what would happen if you had transferred the guns prior to receiving the suspension order, but were within the deadline and had not yet filed the eFA10.
But... You can't transfer the gun on the portal after your LTC is suspended.

Transfer Monday
RO Tuesday,
Report transfer Wednesday *** FAIL - CANNOT TRANSFER WITH INACTIVE LTC ***

Update to the story. Restraining order was recinded, and the chief told him he could pick up his firearms and license on Monday afternoon.
Sometimes there is a happy ending.
Did the broad dump the RO? Or something else?

Yep, I am so happy I escaped too. People in AL think I am from another planet when I tell them the way it is in MA. And every one of them immediately recognizes the futilty of the MA rules.

Agree with the earlier comments that this "registry" is a MA and possbily another one or two communist state problem.

I suspect that there are plenty of guns in MA that are not in the system becasue they were owned before the "transfer record" requirement, brought in from out of state when someone moved to MA, purchased outside of MA and fa10 not filed, inherited, found magnet fishing, inside walls and attics, data munged in the system or simply purchased on the street corner.

A little back story. The girlfriend thought that by get the order, she would get him out of his house, and be able to live there for a year rent free. When her lawyer explained to her that since they were never married, but have kids, she would have to leave the residence after the restraining order expires, as she has no legal rights to the property. He antied up some money for her to get an apartment, in exchange for her to recind the order. She will be out in two weeks with the kids, and he moves back in. They split custody of the two kids currently. His lawyer also told him since she did this, it should help in the future if she thinks she can pull this off again, as the courts will look at this and say no.

I may have told this story but when I through out my ex wife, the 1st call I made was to my brother and transferred everything to him. I didn't want her talking to a lawyer and being convinced to get a restraining order. It was an acrimonious divorce but luckily she didn't pull the RO crap.

If a RO was issued it will always show up on the background check. Regardless and even if it is vacated and supposedly expunged. Expect that it may come up from the issue agency during license or renewal someday.

The criminal systems history board has been fighting to maintain this info on the records for years regardless if it was issued without cause.
I would make sure to keep every document the court issued with regards to the RO and vacated order.

I was a member of a divorced fathers group and the stories I heard of guys being screwed over by ROs were crazy. Lawyers weaponized them just to screw over the guy.
Doesn’t surprise me at all. I used to work with a NH State Rep that specialized in trying to reform all of the madness in our broken system. He had some stories

Back
Top Bottom