• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts' gun registry

My Dad and I are going to use our 4 transfers to transfer a SINGLE gun back and forth - every year...that will be 8 transactions each year to show up in the registry.

Heard just tonight - Boston PD calling in a car that was driving erratically. Someone called in the plate so they looked up who it was registered to. Said he had a LTC and several weapons in his name. Haven't heard anything else about it, must not have found em.

Is this legal?

I too am wondering this. How exactly does this information make its way from when I purchase a gun to the laptop in a police car (as in which agency shares what data with which and is it legal to do so)? Who else can this information be shared with? Can this be handed out to anyone? It seems like this information is being carelessly shared and assumptions being made (as in ordered out of my car at gunpoint for speeding, just because I own guns).

Man I hate this state.

Staying alert and watching for furtive movements is what keeps an officer alive, so yes treat all like it could be a murderer that you don't know about yet. Whether an officer knows that you MIGHT have a gun or not, really his/her behavior shouldn't be any different.

What I mean by a felony stop is the officer approaches with gun in hand pointed at your head, usually with other officers as well with guns pointed at you. Then they demand you get out of the car and the fun begins.

Not SOP on a MV violation in MA, but I can see some nervous officers who believe that only cops and criminals can/should own guns using that info to treat someone that way. Not good from that perspective.

By the same token, many cops seem to see LTC holders as pre-vetted. There's good evidence that most cops are on our side. I understand your concern but I think it's an edge case at best.

Gents (and ladies, if there were any),

I'm glad my OP spurred such interesting and important conversation. I hope this both sheds light upon (and due to a few informative posts) sets some fears at ease.

Either way, thanks as always for increasing my situational understanding of the matter.

- P -

I too am wondering this. How exactly does this information make its way from when I purchase a gun to the laptop in a police car (as in which agency shares what data with which and is it legal to do so)? Who else can this information be shared with? Can this be handed out to anyone? It seems like this information is being carelessly shared and assumptions being made (as in ordered out of my car at gunpoint for speeding, just because I own guns).

Man I hate this state.

I can tell you that the only place that the data is stored is FRB, so they allowed a tie-in to CJISweb. The only exception to the privacy of gun owner/license info is for law enforcement purposes and that would fit the exemption short of a court case claiming that fishing expeditions don't meet the law enforcement purpose. That would go nowhere in a MA court, but I have no idea if a carefully (emphasis here) crafted case would get traction in a Fed Court on Constitutional grounds. I'll leave that to our Comm2A folks to comment on whether this is a possibility or not.

I just love sending in FA-10's to the Criminal System History Board, the people at the Post Office look at you like your a criminal.

That's the address and that's what the think of us.

So I can assume that every time fire/police come to my house because my elderly live in mother in law hits the "I've fallen and I can't get up" button, said fire/police get told an LTC holder lives there an what guns I own? Twenty five years of buying/selling firearms......hope they got a big screen!

Last edited:
So I can assume that every time fire/police come to my house because my elderly live in mother in law hits the "I've fallen and I can't get up" button, said fire/police get told an LTC holder lives there an what guns I own? Twenty five years of buying/selling firearms......hope they got a big screen!

As someone who has had to call 911 twice, and current holder of LTC (at least in a green town), I haven't had any issues. ...And the media would have a reporter-gasm to the # of firearms I have "registered".

Man I hate this state.
Easy. If you purchase from a MA dealer, the dealer fills out the forms and submits them to the MA bureaucrats electronically. If you do a face-to-face sale in-state, the FA-10 that you submit goes into the gun registry in Chelsea. If you purchase out of state and submit a FA-10, your our of state purchase gets registered. Who is it shared with? Everyone and his brother, apparently. I have heard of news reporters getting their mitts on this data, most likely illegally. My ex's scumbag attorney tried to do the same, since she knew some cops, but the "list" under my name and FID number had zero entries. That is because I purchased all firearms out of state and did not register them in MA. Believe me, such data would definitely have been used against me in court!

I just had an ah ha moment! I got a ticket in the mail for a bogus front license plate (I had a Euro plate with my tag numbers and MA on the front). I appealed it. At the appeal, the moonbat clerk was physically upset with me,//
When I got back from Europe in 1985 I had USA [US Army] plates. I was allowed to keep them for 30-180 days - don't recall. Cops would stop traffic and wave me through. I had an unmarked car pull up behind me on the Mass Pike when I was doing about 80, sit there for a sec, then pulled over again without stopping me. Wuz fun.

Not in NH is ain't. Maybe FED so I guess NH by implication. Anyway, feds can track via 4473s anyway. They're technically prohibited from doing so but we know better.

I wonder if the NSA could get the FISA court to permit/require the dissemination of gun purchases/background checks from ATF for collection and storage for future use.

Just because the laws the ATF follows prohibits them from storing and maybe even disseminating the info, I'll bethcya dollars to doughnuts that the NSA/FISA court could overrule that on national security grounds.

Just for storage in case a foreign entity was found to be involved in the transaction of course.

Then again, they already know when you've been to your gun shop and how often and with whom via your cell phone records, and probably what you've bought by your credit card and/or banking and/or Dick's Rewards records so does it really matter?

Last edited:
I wonder if the NSA could get the FISA court to permit/require the dissemination of gun purchases/background checks from ATF for collection and storage for future use.

Just because the laws the ATF follows prohibits them from storing and maybe even disseminating the info, I'll bethcya dollars to doughnuts that the NSA/FISA court could overrule that on national security grounds.

Just for storage in case a foreign entity was found to be involved in the transaction of course.

Then again, they already know when you've been to your gun shop and how often and with whom via your cell phone records, and probably what you've bought by your credit card and/or banking and/or Dick's Rewards records so does it really matter?

Who's to say they aren't recording the phonecalls to NICS already?

Yup, not new news, but it doesn't make it any less concerning.

I've read on here that even if you were to get rid of those guns, get more, then get rid of those, they would ALL show up. So the same exact gun could be listed under 4 people if that's how many times it has been transferred. Assuming of course it was done in MA and registered.......Do I have that right?
Yup

Another question, what if a person no longer has an LTC, does the "list" still come up when they run your info?
We had that exact scenario last Wednesday night. Homeowners LTC expired in 2003, 3 pistols and 1 shotgun showed up on the list (that doesnt exist). 2 were confiscated, and the other 2 were leant to his brother.

We had that exact scenario last Wednesday night. Homeowners LTC expired in 2003, 3 pistols and 1 shotgun showed up on the list (that doesnt exist). 2 were confiscated, and the other 2 were leant to his brother.

This is a very confusing post to me.

Who is "we" and why were guns being confiscated and/or loaned and by whom?

This is a very confusing post to me.

Who is "we" and why were guns being confiscated and/or loaned and by whom?
Sorry. The 2 confiscated were the result of a search warrant. The loaner would be the one with the expired LTC from 2003.

Looks like this is still true to this day. Bringing an old thread to life again. Son got a restraining order. Listed on it were the three serial numbers of the guns he owns and was told he has half hour to produce them and turn them into the station if not on the premise. Registry is true.

Looks like this is still true to this day. Bringing an old thread to life again. Son got a restraining order. Listed on it were the three serial numbers of the guns he owns and was told he has half hour to produce them and turn them into the station if not on the premise. Registry is true.

Can he transfer them to someone in 30 minutes? or is that against the law?

Back
Top Bottom