1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Massachusetts Firearm Storage Initiative

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bakin, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Coyote33

Coyote33

This is going to "accomplish" another side-door ban on guns in Massachusetts.

Don't forget homeless people!

That is their goal!

2. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

3. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

What is this BS surge of state and local governments switching to ranked choice voting? We have pathetically low voter turnout to begin with and all this will do is drive participation rates lower.

Not to mention the effect on an various elections outcomes...

MachineryGun likes this.
  4. Jsfitzgerald85

Jsfitzgerald85

Dont have to worry about Heller if you make 2A too expensive to exercise. I do love the "party of the middle class" trying to make something else too expensive for the class they always claim to represent.

5. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

This ballot initiative violates Heller in my view. Then again, so do the safe storage laws. That's okay, though, because the Constitution is null and void in MA where prohibited by law.

EJFudd likes this.
  6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Gonna be tough to enforce, that's for sure. Too many things that need to be "certified" and defined before it can even be enforced. It'll be like the pot-shop rules that should have gone into effect quickly and took a LONG time for The State House to hammer out. Same thing here. And it's not a priority so it may just get stuck in no-man's land.

andrew1220 likes this.
  7. EJFudd

EJFudd NES Member

It does. But since when would that bother Maura? [thinking]

8. Pete85

Pete85

You can already get coverage through the NRA and probably many other places for a couple hundred dollars a year for a $1,000,000 policy.

9. Pete85

Pete85

Remember, we are in the state where a politician (I want to say it was Coakley, but it was probably 10 years ago and I don't remember) said in an interview that it was the intent of the people passing the gun control act of 1998 that violent crime would increase. The conversation went something like:
    Interviewer: "Despite the fact that gun ownership rates in MA have gone down since the law was passed, violent crimes have gone up sharply."
    Politician: "That was the intent."

10. jr2k

jr2k

Agreed - I think anyone on this board will accidentally already be in compliance in their home. When I lived in a studio and had a tiny closet, I bought a "put together" safe and when I opened up the box I was surprised that it was CA compliant.

11. Waher

Waher NES Member

Cheryl Jacques said something like that. Similarly I watched John Rosenthal have a meltdown at the State House when pepper spray was legalized without a permit for the first time since 1998. They really don't want "self help", victims give them more opportunities to demand more power.

SERE likes this.
  12. Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS NES Member

I wonder if they will certify my stackon gun cabinets that are in my gun room with no windows and a 24x7 monitored alarm system with battery backup and cellular backup

13. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

Healy/MA will find a way to disqualify that somehow.

14. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I'm sure they have little problem with requiring certified safes, while at the same time not having certified any of the safes.

15. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

That name is like a bad penny. [angry]

16. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

WTF exactly does "Bonded" mean? What must the bond held by a "bonded warehouse" cover and what are the dollar limits on such a bond?

My guess is "certified" will be left unspecified, but RSC is a "certification" and will almost certainly be accepted as designing a new certification process and testing safes is not an easy task.

There is far smellier crap in this initiative petition than "certification". For example, being held responsible for someone else's crime without being allowed to participate in their trial, call witnesses, sign off on any plea bargain, etc.

So that multiple D's can run against a single R without concern that vote splitting will hand the victory to an R when most people voted for one of the Ds.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  17. EJFudd

EJFudd NES Member

In that MA likes to think of itself as California East, here is the CA DOJ requirement (note at the end that a UL RSC-rated safe is acceptable):

An acceptable gun safe is either one the following:
    1. A gun safe that meets all of the following standards:
      1. Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage.
      2. Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case hardened (Rc 60+) drill resistant steel plate, or drill resistant material of equivalent strength.
      3. Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least 1/2-inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock.
      4. A gun safe shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least 0.100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum one layer of 7-gauge steel plate reinforced construction or at least two layers of a minimum 12-gauge steel compound construction.
      5. Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler's lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.
    2. A gun safe that is able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage, and is certified to/listed as meeting Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container rating standards by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Didn't she certify the graduated income tax ballot last time around? And get b-slapped by the SC for it???

I'd like to say that her only job is to ensure that the ballot question SEEMS to be legal. And she's got a pretty broad sense of "legal." So. . . . . .

EJFudd likes this.
  19. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

Well, legal is what ever she wants it to be, after all. Don't you know she's got the power to blatantly make up laws to suit her whims?

CatSnoutSoup and EJFudd like this.
  20. EJFudd

EJFudd NES Member

Yeah, I don't think Maura has a real big problem with "legal" or "Constitutional" as long as it benefits her or her leftist party's agenda. Just look at how she treats the illegal alien invasion problem to see how much she respects actual laws. [thinking]

CatSnoutSoup likes this.
  21. Ben Cartwright SASS

If this goes to the ballot I would hope Com2A and SAF and GOAL fight it, I will send extra money if it happens.

EJFudd likes this.
  22. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    "jewellers lugs"? WTF are those?

23. 1919FAN

1919FAN NES Member

In the jewelry business that the family owns the safes are TRTL30x6 rated which means torch and tool resistance for 30 minutes the x6 is all 6 sides depending on your insurance and building sometimes you can get away with a TL15.

24. voidoid

voidoid NES Member

I believe they still need to gather 80k signatures by Dec 4. Is there a tracker for number of signatures gathered, or do we just hear about it after Dec 4?

25. Ben Cartwright SASS

One thing GOAL mentioned was There is also language stating that gun owners would need to purchase a “device to secure weapons while in transit in a motor vehicle”. What exactly are they talking about here? Once again, no definition

What the F does this mean? A "safe" bolted to the car? Can you CC in the car?

BREWINZ likes this.
  26. MachineryGun

MachineryGun

They just keep coming...

27. MGnoob

MGnoob NES Life Member NES Member

I’m on board ... I’m sure it applys to Leo weapons aswell... like when the Boston marathon bombers target an officer for his weapon..(I believe the officer was killed) we should definitely go after his(her?) estate.

This is just making ownership a liability/ crime in itself....

While I don’t leave stuff in secured... if you don’t have children or children guest a locked front door should be enough...

28. MGnoob

MGnoob NES Life Member NES Member

I can’t wait to have my gun room.... I’m sure a bunker won’t be a state approved “safe storage”
    I should just use my 12” NBC doors as my front door.... would that count?

29. CatSnoutSoup

CatSnoutSoup NES Member

You could ask a signature collector directly, they will be easy to recognize, just look for someone with a clipboard walking through a graveyard.

:emoji_tiger:

BREWINZ likes this.
  30. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

I think they are referring to the lugs on the hinge side of the safe that fit behind the door opening when the safe door is closed, securing even if the hinges are cut or torched off. It may be found in the same edition of the dictionary as "zoobow".