1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Mass shooting @ Baptist church Sutherland Springs, Texas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waher, Nov 5, 2017.

1. TLB

TLB

This entire story be swept under the rug at the earliest opportunity. Not fitting very well into any of the preferred gun grabber narratives.

2. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Another reason why NICS is pretty much laughable.

-Mike

3. Garys

Garys NES Member

Open carry on one's person (not on private property) was illegal in Texas until 2016. That's why the law was passed that year to change that. There's a lot of information on that available and a simple search will find it. I won't waste time rehashing that here. Ann Richards vetoed concealed carry several times, it was G.W. Bush who finally signed it.

Denial for cause in Texas, still doesn't make one disqualified from purchasing. That's a separate process. If he was able to buy from a FFL, then he passed the background check. If this was a problem with NICS, then it should be fixed.

I still don't know if his military conviction was entered into the system or not. If not, that's a significant lapse.

4. BREWINZ

BREWINZ

Slightly off topic, but as I'm debating this with one of my employees (SUPER lib) the topic of Soros, bloomberg, etc. anti gun funding came up. There was a chart posted here a few days ago with connections to orgs, etc. I cannot find it. Anyone have a link?

5. Garys

Garys NES Member

I have to agree. My son gets a delay every time he tries to buy a gun. The reason is a court case from 2005 that is still listed as "open" when they do a NICS check. He has the Docket Sheet, has sent the information in for correction, but it's still wrong. He always gets a proceed eventually, but it's a PITA.

6. jpk

jpk

1 person likes this.
  7. Picton

Picton NES Member

Again, some need to reread Lautenberg. Not every DV case automatically makes you a pp. It does if you had counsel or had a jury trial. I’m not sure that covers UCMJ panels, which aren’t quite the same as juries. That kind of distinction would need to be litigated, and I’m not sure it ever has been.

8. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Yes.

9. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Question is, who ****ed up and when?

Did the charge never get entered in the CJIS/NIC's system to begin with, or did some examiner drop the ball?

Last time NIC's ****ed up big time, was with Charleston Church shooting.

I don't know how many heads rolled on that one, but I'm certain some did.

10. eboos

eboos

Lied on his application, and military conviction didn't show up?

11. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

What??? Someone lied on a 4473? Inconceivable!

12. SgtHal75

SgtHal75 NES Member

Exactly! All convictions(violent or not) from a Special or General Court Martial come with a felony conviction. So he lied on form 4473, shocker. Can’t tell anti gunners this. Had a spat with someone from Texas on this and she actually thinks there are no background checks in Texas period. Let’s keep the pressure on em.

13. Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS NES Member

has anyone heard anything out of Healy's office as to whether she will now change from "we will not prosecute at this time" to turn em in or sell em out of state?

14. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

What are you talking about,Home Depot rental trucks?

15. drgrant

I've stopped paying attention to what dimples says since 7/20 of last year, I think most other people have, too.

Unless they start appropriating money to agencies down below her, to steal peoples guns, nothing has really changed on that front.

-Mike

16. Fyrfinder

Fyrfinder

Heard that they had found the weapon was purchased at a Texas sport shop, but wonder how they determined that he purchased it? If they tracked the serial numbers from the manufacturer to the shop, that I could understand, but, bought in 2016 it would have to take some further tracking to know that the suspect was the original buyer. IMO of course.

17. drgrant

That's interesting, I thought the worst part about Lautenberg was that even a misdemeanor of DV turns you into a PP. I guess if a military hearing that didnt convey a criminal punishment doesn't count.

Several years ago the NRA profiled a case where a woman got into a fight with her husband, she threw something at him, tore his pants pocket or something like that.... but nothing huge... neighbors called the kopsch (because of yelling, etc) when kopsch arrived, they calmed down, but made the mistake of running their mouth to the kopsch, husband did not want to press charges but she was arrested under mandatory DV
    laws in VA, got bagged as a PP despite serving no jail and only paying a small fine, but, because of the "lautenberg is a pole smoker" law, she is now a PP for life. [rolleyes]

-Mike

18. drgrant

Not really, if it was never resold. BATFE's NTC (national tracing center) goes to original manuf, manuf says "we sold SN XXXXXX to dist X" then they go to that guy- dist X says "we sold it to FFL Y" FFL Y then says "we sold it to <insert name of this terrorist shitbird here> on such and such a date with proceed code of blah blah blah". Takes a few hours of detective work by NTC tops, most of it talking on the telephone.

An ancient gun that had been bought and sold a ton of times is much, much harder to trace. (because then they might have to send agents out to track someone down who owned it) Or even a gun that got bought and sold a few times. A relatively new gun, in the original buyer's hands, is child's play for NTC to trace, especially if the manuf, disty, and dealer are all still in
    business.

-Mike

19. banditone

banditone NES Member

Fox just reported he bought them at Academy Sports. It’s a big chain in the south east.

20. RAEIndustries

RAEIndustries

We can carry in florida

21. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran NES Member

Yes. You are all felons now.

1 person likes this.
  22. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

I have not seen any reputable source saying the good guy used an AR15. My 'moms demand action' cousin is saying "see the hero used a reasonable gun" , I would really like to agree with her on this then have her admit is was an evil 'assault' rifle.

23. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

More from Reason. Looks like another NICS ****up.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/11/06/why-did-texas-church-shooter-devin-kelle

24. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Once I realized I was a criminal - it was like a weight was off my shoulders.

I don't really give a shit what the "law" is any more - and I don't really pay attention to the spew that comes out of the State House.

25. oppressed

oppressed NES Member

NECN is trying to ignore the "good guy with a gun" theme entirely by saying he probably committed suicide in the truck because more weapons were found.

Same for WBZ news radio as far as not stating anything about the good Samaritan.

26. rchap36

rchap36

So get online and make sure the world hears the truth

27. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

Sorry for your situation, they’re the most qualified to opine on guns. Just like these “Moms”: https://youtu.be/Mq-2QVczje0

Sources for AR15 used against the loser.

From England : http://www.faithwire.com/2017/11/06...mediately-confronted-the-texas-church-killer/

From Johnnie Langendorf himself:

https://youtu.be/0FnozfBGq8g

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  28. TruthTellers

TruthTellers

Well it's just more proof the NICS system is flawed and ineffective. The only way that it will be made better is if families of victims are allowed to sue the FBI or local/state police agencies or military justice for failing to provide information to the NICS.

29. crazymjb

crazymjb

More from the same commentor in the article (guy who lives nearby) on SOFREP

Mike

30. jpk

jpk

this nugget had already been DD'd. nailed for breaking his son's skull. nailed for animal cruelty not to mention bribing under age girls to date him?!?!1?1

WTF