Mass Firearm ID card from 1980...

i live in NH and just found an old Mass FA ID card from about 1980s when i last lived there - there is no date on it and no expire date either - is this still 'good'? not that im heading there soon or anything..

i live in NH and just found an old Mass FA ID card from about 1980s when i last lived there - there is no date on it and no expire date either - is this still 'good'? not that im heading there soon or anything..

Nope, the legislature expired them all when they changed the licensing law.

Just ask my neighbor who had 3 guns in his closet when he got arrested for beating up his girlfirend last month. He throught his 20 year old FID car was still good. Not only is he dealing with assault charges but now he has firearm charges too....

He is a clown though- I assume you arent so stupid

There are a lot of people with expired FIDs that think they are still good. We had over a million licensees befire the law changed. They didn't all leave MA or sell off everything.

I have a business associate that is a perfect example of how Massachusetts has made felons out of otherwise lawful citizens.

This gent mentioned that he had an old Smith & Wesson model 66 from the 1980's, still with the cardboard box and in nice shape at his home.

This is a gent in his mid 60's that had never talked about firearms before, so I was surprised he had an LTC.

I asked about it and was shocked to hear him talk about his non expiring FID card.

Of course I explained the current law, and how his lifetime FID was useless. The upshot is that now the revolver is safely and legally stored, but for a whole lot of years, he was commiting a crime he never knew existed.

Are a lot of people in this same situation I think.

[angry]
So if you enter into a contarct with an entity and pay them earnest money (the $2 fee the original FID cost), this other entity can just say the contract is null and void whenever they want. What if everything worked that way? It's good to be King I guess.

[angry]
So if you enter into a contarct with an entity and pay them earnest money (the $2 fee the original FID cost), this other entity can just say the contract is null and void whenever they want. What if everything worked that way? It's good to be King I guess.

I don't think a lot (or at least not enough) of gun owners were paying attention back in 1998.

[angry]

Exactly, you and I can't do that, BUT all contracts with Gov are "at the will and pleasure of the gov" and subject to cancellation w/o notice. And they aren't responsible (no kidding) . . . but you can be held responsible legally for what they do and don't notify you of any changes to the contract/rules! [thinking] [rolleyes]

NOTE: This is not a "MA" thing, it applies to dealing with any gov or gov agency!

I don't think a lot (or at least not enough) of gun owners were paying attention back in 1998.

Sorry but it seems that you never read the history of what REALLY HAPPENED! It's been posted here many times. Those that lived thru that period with their eyes open know that 5 people totally re-wrote the bill in secret over a few days, House/Senate leadership declared "no debate" and threatened each legislator individually with loss of chairmanships (which impacts salary, number of staff and size/location of office, etc.) if they FAILED to vote FOR the bill as re-written!! [Some of the above info was told to me by one of my legislators, a person known to me for ~15 years at that time, he read the bill, voted NO (and he's a total anti-gun person) and subsequently was moved to a tiny office in the basement of the State House (down a barely lit corridor)!]

Sorry but it seems that you never read the history of what REALLY HAPPENED! It's been posted here many times. Those that lived thru that period with their eyes open know that 5 people totally re-wrote the bill in secret over a few days, House/Senate leadership declared "no debate" and threatened each legislator individually with loss of chairmanships (which impacts salary, number of staff and size/location of office, etc.) if they FAILED to vote FOR the bill as re-written!! [Some of the above info was told to me by one of my legislators, a person known to me for ~15 years at that time, he read the bill, voted NO (and he's a total anti-gun person) and subsequently was moved to a tiny office in the basement of the State House (down a barely lit corridor)!]

You'd be wrong. If a million people (all the licensees) got up in arms like we all do here, would we have ended up with what we have? They can cram it through because there are no repercussions for doing so. I bet most of those people that rammed it through kept their jobs since no gun owners voted them out and got the law repealed, right? The legislative elite could strong arm the membership because they knew that no one would lose their seats over it -- or at least not enough would for it to matter.

I think expiring the old FID cards was wrong and dumb.

Having said that, in trying to understand what happened, it's easier to think of FIDs, not as contracts, but licenses (which is what they were).

Every license issued by a licensing authority can be expired or revoked. There was a law on the books that defined how to get an FID and what the FID covered.

That law was replaced by a new law that created a new process and a new fee structure.

Governments do it all the time to keep bureaucrats busy, raise 'revenues', or alter how much control they have over us.

I think expiring the old FID cards was wrong and dumb.

Having said that, in trying to understand what happened, it's easier to think of FIDs, not as contracts, but licenses (which is what they were).

Every license issued by a licensing authority can be expired or revoked. There was a law on the books that defined how to get an FID and what the FID covered.

That law was replaced by a new law that created a new process and a new fee structure.

Governments do it all the time to keep bureaucrats busy, raise 'revenues', or alter how much control they have over us.

When I got my first FID back when they first came out, I made a point of asking if this was a license to own a firearm. I was told that it is not a license it just identified me as a firearms owner. I know that I pissed the Boston police officer off whith all my pointed questions, but what the hell it was another rights violation. I've been fighting this fight a very long time and the erosion just keeps on rolling. I owned a few rifles and shotguns then and no handguns. I can remember buying guns through the mail. They used to advertise them in all the sporting magazines up untill 1968.

WOW

thanks for the info - am i glad i now live in NH (and am planning to move to Florida soon) - i never thought id actually go back to Mass with any type of weapon knowing the hysteria about arms of any kind

- i was just curious about this faded Firearm ID card i have without out any date on it... Thanks again for the enlightenment... [frown]

When I got my first FID back when they first came out, I made a point of asking if this was a license to own a firearm. I was told that it is not a license it just identified me as a firearms owner. I know that I pissed the Boston police officer off whith all my pointed questions, but what the hell it was another rights violation. I've been fighting this fight a very long time and the erosion just keeps on rolling. I owned a few rifles and shotguns then and no handguns. I can remember buying guns through the mail. They used to advertise them in all the sporting magazines up untill 1968.

I hear you.

I can also remember seeing rifles advertised in comic books and offered as 'prizes' in those solicitations to get you to sell greeting cards (i.e. 'win' a rifle for selling XX boxes of cards).

The times sure have changed.

I just had this discussion with someone that had an FID from the 80's and I told him it was invalid despite the "no expiration date" thing. He didn't believe me until he took his LTC class and they told him it was useless.

I just had this discussion with someone that had an FID from the 80's and I told him it was invalid despite the "no expiration date" thing. He didn't believe me until he took his LTC class and they told him it was useless.

He could have also learned you were telling the truth by attempting to buy ammo or a gun with his FID.[laugh]

I hear you.

I can also remember seeing rifles advertised in comic books and offered as 'prizes' in those solicitations to get you to sell greeting cards (i.e. 'win' a rifle for selling XX boxes of cards).

The times sure have changed.

I still have the sporterized Enfield that my Dad bought out of Sears Catalogue, pre-68.

Good old days.

1950s_super-x_ammo.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom