Mass CCW Permit requirements!

if there is a mandate for training in order to exercise a right, the government should pay for the training. this would keep it from just being a step towards making it prohibitively expensive to get licensed. the fact is that these cheaper classes, which teach the participants virtually nothing, satisfy MASS law; this suggests to me that the law is designed primarily to discourage, not educate.
I don't think there should be a mandate for training. Full stop.

But in other areas where there is a mandate for training in exchange for a license (e.g., plumber's license, PE license, pilot's license), the government does not pay for the training.

I don't think there should be a mandate for training. Full stop.

But in other areas where there is a mandate for training in exchange for a license (e.g., plumber's license, PE license, pilot's license), the government does not pay for the training.

the difference in my mind if that being a plumber or piloting an aircraft are not explicitly stated constitutional rights, making a different licensing structure reasonable.

the difference in my mind if that being a plumber or piloting an aircraft are not explicitly stated constitutional rights, making a different licensing structure reasonable.
Yea, well, I wish a coffee at Starbucks didn't cost $1.50. I'm about as likely to see that happen.

Also, there is some legal protection for whistle-blowers . . .
There is legal protection for exercising 5th amendment rights, however, if an LTC is pulled for exercising said right the judicial remedy is not restoration of the license (Godfrey v. Wellesley)

Talking about training and state licensing in the trades, ie. plumbers. If you can pass the State mandates you get a license with "no restrictions," even in Boston, Lowell, Medford, Methuen, Worcester, etc. Something wrong with gun owners?

Talking about training and state licensing in the trades, ie. plumbers. If you can pass the State mandates you get a license with "no restrictions," even in Boston, Lowell, Medford, Methuen, Worcester, etc. Something wrong with gun owners?

There are significant barriers to entry designed to keep the competition down that pose a different, but very real, obstacle course to those looking to get a license in the trades - many of which make requirements like "take a 4 hour course" look like the proverbial walk int he park. Just look at the thread discussing the difficulty an NES member is having finding an apprenticeship to put in his time towards an electrician's license.

If gun licensing was handled like trade licensing, one would have to find an existing LTC-A holder to take you under his/her wing for a few years while you built up enough experience to be permitted to take a test to get your own LTC-A. The requirements have gotten tougher over the years - in fact, my dentist tells me he probably wouldn't have a journeyman and master plumber's license if todays experience requirements were in place at the time he sat for his plumbing exam.

There is legal protection for exercising 5th amendment rights, however, if an LTC is pulled for exercising said right the judicial remedy is not restoration of the license (Godfrey v. Wellesley)

True. However, lets be clear, this does not imply that one who reports an ethics violation to the State can have his/her LTC revoked for that reason.

True. However, lets be clear, this does not imply that one who reports an ethics violation to the State can have his/her LTC revoked for that reason.

Agreed.

I was offering it as proof that the fact that a right is legal and specifically protected by law does not mean it cannot be used to revoke an LTC and that, even if the courts find an LTC revocation may be improper, it is not a given that the courts will order the LTC restored.

And what I was saying was . . .

- that if the person is smart, they will report it anonymously, and

- NOT talk about that with anyone, anywhere . . . not post it on NES or elsewhere.

Then the chief can guess all he wants, but he's likely to have 100-2000 "suspects" (everyone who has a LTC in his town or might have applied for one). That makes it difficult to declare all LTC-holders as "unsuitable".

Can you describe in detail what the qualifying test consists of and how it's scored. I find it interesting.

It was a while ago 30+/- yrs This quote by Friendy D sounds right
"12 rounds double-action (single or double handed) at 7 yards, and 18 rounds (single or double handed, single or double action) at 15 yards. The guns we used were 4" .357 revolvers (I think a 686 to be exact) with .38 special ammunition. The test was relatively easy, as you only need a score of 210 (out of 300) to pass. If you can fire an 8-inch group at 15 yards, this will be easy and take about 20 minutes."

Back
Top Bottom