Mass CCW Permit requirements!

Does anyone know how many qualifying rounds one has to have to satisfy the permit requirements. One fellow just told me that it has to to be 300 rounds. The PP course usually takes a bit less than a hundred and I would thing that an NRA certificate would be sufficient for most states. Why not Mass?

Does anyone know how many qualifying rounds one has to have to satisfy the permit requirements.

Zero.

The list of approved courses is posted above.

The NRA Home Firearms Safety Course, LTC-007, is approved for the LTC and does not require any firing. The LTC traning of MA law may be satisfied by any of the classes on the above list, provided they are taught by a state certified instructor, the MA state certificate issued, and the student info forwarded to the state on the reporting form.

I would thing that an NRA certificate would be sufficient for most states. Why not Mass?

MGL is the reason why not.

The only certificate that counts is the MA Basic Firearms Safety Certificate. Most NRA classes qualify, however, they must be taught my a MA certified instructor. Also, MA requires that MA law be taught with the course, even though this is not part of the course content of some of the approved courses.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many qualifying rounds one has to have to satisfy the permit requirements. One fellow just told me that it has to to be 300 rounds. The PP course usually takes a bit less than a hundred and I would thing that an NRA certificate would be sufficient for most states. Why not Mass?
As Rob said, there is no requirement to fire any number of rounds. As to why a standard NRA certificate is not acceptable, you are trying to apply logic to MA gun laws -- don't do that. MA laws are an Alice-in-Wonderland kind of situation.

Does anyone know how many qualifying rounds one has to have to satisfy the permit requirements. One fellow just told me that it has to to be 300 rounds.

Your source is seriously misinformed. Even Rhode Island, which DOES require a practical test, does not require 300 rounds. Nor does Boston's Moon Island charade.

The only traning of any kind (that I can think of) that would require that number of rounds is sig sauer academy.

300 rounds is the minimum needed for some of the traning offered at Sig Sauer Academy, and most of them are 2 day courses... be prepared to pony up at least $500 for any of the courses.

keep in mind, these are targeted training courses and not required for any states LTC, but they do qualify as the training course for many. I beleive they are NRA certified.

When I took my course I didn't fire one single round and I didn't even handle any firearms but in the end I still got my certificate.

Did you take the class at a police department?

Mike, I had the same experience...and yes I did take it at the PD. Funny thing, I was told if I wanted any chance of getting an ALP, I had to take it there. Turns out, the NRA one at my club was MUCH more intensive and informative.

Mike, I had the same experience...and yes I did take it at the PD. Funny thing, I was told if I wanted any chance of getting an ALP, I had to take it there. Turns out, the NRA one at my club was MUCH more intensive and informative.

This is sad, I have had several people contact me for lessons, When I asked what class they would like to take I was informed that "I have my license and a gun, I just need you to show me how to open it" This happened more than once. I was fuming, and on one occasion I actually gave the first lesson for free. Thank God these people were smart enough to seek actual training.

Did you tell GOAL about that improper practice?

When I took my course I didn't fire one single round and I didn't even handle any firearms but in the end I still got my certificate.

Does one of the courses on the list allow this, or are they teaching an improper course?

I just took the instructor course for Basic Pistol(LTC-002) and HFS (LTC-007), both of which require safe handling exercises. HFS doesn't require any shooting though.

I'm still figuring out where/which courses I want to teach, but my first thought is that Basic Pistol is the way to go for people who've never shot before and HFS would be good for people who just want a refresher or need their ticket punched.

Yes, I did. I also told my representative as well. The kicker is that the checks had to be made out directly to the LEO and the fee was twice what my club charged.

Even better - an extortionist who leaves a paper trail!

Sounds like a certain town on Rte. 9, halfway between Worcester and Amherst. Did it get the idea from Meffuh or the other way around........

Last edited:
Does one of the courses on the list allow this, or are they teaching an improper course?

I just took the instructor course for Basic Pistol(LTC-002) and HFS (LTC-007), both of which require safe handling exercises. HFS doesn't require any shooting though.

I'm still figuring out where/which courses I want to teach, but my first thought is that Basic Pistol is the way to go for people who've never shot before and HFS would be good for people who just want a refresher or need their ticket punched.

Jeff click here - http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...oved_basic_firearms_safety_courses&csid=Eeops

Yeah, I looked at that. I only know the content for the two classes I mentioned. Do you know if any of the other ones listed have no gunhandling at all?

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier: Someone upthread mentioned the NRA Personal Protection course. This course was split into PP in the home and PP outside the home a few years ago, and the new courses are NOT on the list.

Yeah, I looked at that. I only know the content for the two classes I mentioned. Do you know if any of the other ones listed have no gunhandling at all?

According to several people that have taken the "Approved" Worcester class. They did not touch a gun and were given wrong information in regards to storage and Deadly force. The class consisted of a cop telling them what they couldn't do with their gun. Again, I didn't take the class and am reporting what my students told me.

I've heard that a certain B-ramming town inside 128 refers applicants to a particular instructor in town for their basic pistol class. They do, in fact, shoot a gun, and the course is offered for the low, low price of $425.

I've heard that a certain B-ramming town inside 128 refers applicants to a particular instructor in town for their basic pistol class. They do, in fact, shoot a gun, and the course is offered for the low, low price of $425.

Do they get an ALP after paying the greasing fee? Or do they still get rammed? Corruption sucks but it is worse when there is no buyout. Ironically that's what makes MA worse than parts of Africa. [laugh]

-Mike

I just went through this process recently, so I can maybe shed some light.
The class I took was 4 hours long, held in the instructors home and ran about 100 dollars. There were 4 other students and it was held in Arlington. If anyone would like contact information, please get in touch. There was no shooting in this class, but we handled a few different guns with dummy ammo in them (reloading exercizes, etc) The class was actually a pretty good time and I'd recommend this particular instructor.

After taking this class, I had to submit the form (which is handed out at the end of class) to the BPD.

I then had to take a shooting test at 7am on a Wednesday, which is given at moon island in Quincy. 12 rounds double-action (single or double handed) at 7 yards, and 18 rounds (single or double handed, single or double action) at 15 yards. The guns we used were 4" .357 revolvers (I think a 686 to be exact) with .38 special ammunition. The test was relatively easy, as you only need a score of 210 (out of 300) to pass. If you can fire an 8-inch group at 15 yards, this will be easy and take about 20 minutes.

If anyone would be interested in me posting a detailed list of everything you need in Boston to get your LTC, and what to expect in the process, let me know - I'd be happy to make a new thread.

Before I got all old 'n cranky 'n totally lost my patience with people in general, I did classes that were 10 hours in length with 6 hours classroom and 4 hours practical range (shooting). Students that survived my class (passed the written tests and didn't walk out on me) got 3 certs: the MA Basic Firearms Safety, NRA Basic Pistol and NRA Home Firearms Safety. At the time, the nice lady at the SP that called me after I got my MA State Instructors Cert told me that this is what they expected from their certified instructors, so I said "Yes Ma'am" and saluted the phone. It was some years ago....as I recall I charged $100 for normal folks, $50 for friends or folks I knew and attractive young ladies that would prop up my ego I didn't charge at all (WOT comes to mind). I still maintain the instructors Certs, but don't do regular classes anymore on account of my ornery disposition these days.

Before I got all old 'n cranky 'n totally lost my patience with people in general, I did classes that were 10 hours in length with 6 hours classroom and 4 hours practical range (shooting). Students that survived my class (passed the written tests and didn't walk out on me) got 3 certs: the MA Basic Firearms Safety, NRA Basic Pistol and NRA Home Firearms Safety. At the time, the nice lady at the SP that called me after I got my MA State Instructors Cert told me that this is what they expected from their certified instructors, so I said "Yes Ma'am" and saluted the phone. It was some years ago....as I recall I charged $100 for normal folks, $50 for friends or folks I knew and attractive young ladies that would prop up my ego I didn't charge at all (WOT comes to mind). I still maintain the instructors Certs, but don't do regular classes anymore on account of my ornery disposition these days.

I think you ought to teach again. As I recall, the instructors and teachers that were ornery are the ones I learned the most from.

Originally Posted by drgrant
Do they get an ALP after paying the greasing fee? Or do they still get rammed? Corruption sucks but it is worse when there is no buyout. Ironically that's what makes MA worse than parts of Africa.

No, they still get b-rammed.

TWICE.

And, for the record, this thread belongs in the MASS Laws section.

i may be alone in this, but i'm glad i had the option of taking a totally useless firearms class. they officer just read us a printout of some MGL bullet points, told us what the questions and answers were on the test, and we took the test. this lack of live-fire or dummy guns or anything remotely useful helped keep the cost nice and low (around $30, if i remember correctly). i think it's geat that there are $100+ classes for those fine citizens with not background in firearms but are interested in taking responsibility for their own safety, or are simply interested in carrying on a fine american tradition. however, i am also very happy that there are $30 'check the block' classes for people who are already very familiar with guns, and are just satisfying MA law.

Did you tell GOAL about that improper practice?

Maybe but there is a better way to handle this. See below.

Yes, I did. I also told my representative as well. The kicker is that the checks had to be made out directly to the LEO and the fee was twice what my club charged.

Again see below for suggestions on ending this practice with a big "thud"! What they are doing is illegal according to MGLs (Ethics laws).

Even better - an extortionist who leaves a paper trail!

Sounds like a certain town on Rte. 9, halfway between Worcester and Amherst. Did it get the idea from Meffuh or the other way around........

Indeed, either you don't want to give away free legal advice [wink] or you are slipping counselor! [devil]

Since this is a direct violation of State Ethics Laws, the way to put a stop to it is to write a nice letter, enclose a copy of the canceled check and all pertinent info (including copy of MSP signed certificate) to the State Ethics Commission as a formal complaint. You can request anonymity if you wish (in fact they won't mention your name or talk to anyone about your specifics unless you give them written permission).

As I understand it, the State Ethics Commission has already ruled that officers in the same department as would issue the permit can't teach the class unless it is "run by the PD with all proceeds going to the town". Also they can not mandate that you take any class from a specific instructor, especially one associated with said department.

They will come down hard on that town and the word will get out that no town/PD can allow this sort of behavior to continue anywhere in the state.

If you want anonymity, best not tell anyone that you are doing this, keep it to yourself and the assigned attorney at the Ethics Commission (look them up on state website to get contact info).

Good luck and if you are smart, you will NOT announce on NES what you are doing.

i think it's geat that there are $100+ classes for those fine citizens with not background in firearms but are interested in taking responsibility for their own safety, or are simply interested in carrying on a fine american tradition. however, i am also very happy that there are $30 'check the block' classes for people who are already very familiar with guns, and are just satisfying MA law.

Really? And what makes you think only "people who are already very familiar with guns" are taking courses run by such irresponsible excuses for both instructors and law enforcement officers?

I'd bet those with the LEAST knowledge of firearms are those MOST likely to take such worthless courses, simply because they don't know any better and do what the PD told them to.

Back
Top Bottom