MAS 49/56 Scope Recommendations

Gentlemen--

I don't have $600 to spend on an original French military scope--can anyone recommend a more modestly-priced scope to go with a KVAR mount?

I'd love to get something compact which would still allow me to use stripper clips, if possible.

Strong eye relief and range-finder reticle gets major bonus points.

I appreciate any guidance you might offer.

--Eight_Ring

Do you have a pic of the mount set up on the rifle or a link to an image?

I just ordered a Russian scope from kalinka that may fit the mount and work for you.

Sent a PM with a link to the mount, but I think you already have that. Wouldn't any smaller scope with rings work for this application?

I'm a little lost in this area because I DID drop the cash for an original set-up, but it was more like $300 then.

Good luck!

Ken--

The original scope and mount could once be had for as little as $125--but even at $300, the package was a good deal. At $600, I'm going to have to look for alternatives. So basically, I'm looking for a short scope which offers good eye relief and which doesn't overhang the front of the mount too badly. A range-finding reticle is a solid plus. I CAN go with a longer scope, but then I'm losing the capability of loading with stripper-clips--not a deal-breaker, but the design of the original scope definitely took the capability into consideration.

Thanks for responding.

--Warm_Garand

SKSRay--

Thanks for the head's up. I poked around the Kalinka site a bit--looks like some good quality Russkie glass, there. The scope you linked to is 250 mm long (10 inches +/-)--which is a bit long for my application, but it's a nice-looking silhouette for the MAS and the price is right.

Let me know what you think of the scope once you have it in hand, OK?

--Warm_Garand

Check out the French forum on Gunboards. PM Buddy Hinson, he sold me the mount and reproduction scope for less than $150 about a year ago.

Here is mine.
DSCF1402.jpg

Check out the French forum on Gunboards. PM Buddy Hinson, he sold me the mount and reproduction scope for less than $150 about a year ago...

Sounds like you got a good deal. The KVAR mount alone is going for about $100 lately (they are no longer made, apparently).

So what scope are your running? Is parallax a problem? What has been your experience with scoping the MAS--have your groups improved?

Inre: Gunboards--a guy over there (AK-Milsurp) says good things about the NCStar 6X32 compact scope for the MAS. They are selling at Optics Planet for $23 with free shipping over $25(!). Common wisdom is to forget about cheap Chinese glass, it isn't worth the hassle, but I did some research, and the people who own them say the fixed power (the 6X in particular) actually does hold zero, and it has a range-finding reticle.

Nothing is off the table, and maybe it's worth a try in the meantime. If I decide to let go of the capability to reload with stripper-clips, hey, the world is my oyster, and some retro-looking soviet glass might look pretty fine.

Thank you all for your input.

--Warm_Garand

UPDATE:

Inre: the scope--the NCSTAR 6X32 arrived today, and I'm actually pretty amazed by the quality of the glass. The glass is way, way better than I ever would have expected, in both sharpness and light transmission. I cannot over-emphasize how clear and sharp this glass is. If it had cost $250+ and arrived in a prestige cardboard box with a prestige painted logo I would not have thought twice or felt let down in the slightest.

If (yes, fair enough--IF) this $23 scope holds a solid zero it will be the deal of the century.

If I discover fatal shortcomings on this scope I'll update with a range report.

--Warm_Garand

ETA: This is the P-4 Reticle:

http://huntingequipmentmall.com/p4-sniper-reticle-informatio/

Scope:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-compact-rifle-scope-6x32-scope-blue-sc632b.html

Back
Top Bottom