• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maryland Ruling impact MA?

I don't live in MA anymore, but I'm really curious if the latest ruling will impact MA. I remember waiting completely unreasonable amounts of time to get a permit...

I don't live in MA anymore, but I'm really curious if the latest ruling will impact MA. I remember waiting completely unreasonable amounts of time to get a permit...
I think that even if this ruling was in MA it wouldnt have much impact on MA

I think that even if this ruling was in MA it wouldnt have much impact on MA
Exactly. I'm not sure why some people get excited about these rulings in regards to thinking it will affect us here in MA in a positive way. Don't get me wrong, a 2A win is great to see, and I'm happy for those it affects, but I don't get my hopes up that it will affect us here in any way.

The politicians in this state have proven over and over that they don't give a damn how the courts rule when it's in favor of gun owners. As a matter of fact, it certainly seems like they have the mindset of not only not listening to the ruling of a particular case, but then going even further to infringe on our rights more in an act of revenge!

This won’t create a circuit split though. It’ll get appealed en banc, then the panel decision will be reversed.
This particular case will get an en banc which will most likely result in an opinion void of any adherence to binding opinions imposed by SCOTUS.
The split comes from circuits that differ in their application and interpretation of Bruen's binding guidance.

Exactly. I'm not sure why some people get excited about these rulings in regards to thinking it will affect us here in MA in a positive way. Don't get me wrong, a 2A win is great to see, and I'm happy for those it affects, but I don't get my hopes up that it will affect us here in any way.

The politicians in this state have proven over and over that they don't give a damn how the courts rule when it's in favor of gun owners. As a matter of fact, it certainly seems like they have the mindset of not only not listening to the ruling of a particular case, but then going even further to infringe on our rights more in an act of revenge!

For the hundredth time: "these rulings" already have "affected us here," and MA pols have indeed proven they DO "give a damn how the courts rule when it's in favor of gun owners."

Are you choosing to forget that arbitrary restrictions on carry, which the Commonwealth fought for YEARS to justify, and which towns like Brookline clung to hard enough that NESer after NESer predicted they'd only stop restricting when pigs fly... are you blissfully ignoring that the Commonwealth, overnight and without a further whimper, did away with all those restrictions as soon as the ink was dry on the Bruen signature page?

Are you choosing to ignore the words of the Speaker of the House here, who sunk the last "modernization" bill because he acknowledged it would not stand up to SCOTUS scrutiny in the post-Bruen environment?

Are you choosing to disregard the fact that MA CoPs have finally stepped into the public arena on this issue, stating in writing that Bruen changed everything, and that they objected to further restrictions? Keep in mind that they've done this publicly, loudly, and unanimously, having kept silent about these things for years. And now they've seen the writing on the wall. MA is now effectively a shall-issue state; this would not have happened without Bruen.

Are you choosing to be blind to the fact that the revised "modernization" bill still is not law? Why not, do you think? The Senate could have passed it overnight, and pre-Bruen it probably would have... what's happening with it now? Do you even know? Have you asked yourself how the Senate's concerns about this bill's overreach might be quietly getting heard behind closed doors?

You're entitled to your opinion: you think MA pols are going to continue thumbing their nose at SCOTUS. But you're not entitled to your facts: MA pols have already rolled over and complied with Bruen in several key ways.

This was the predicted outcome. Now the entire 4th Circuit will take this case en banc and either remand it back to the district court, or slow walk reversing the 3 judge panel’s decision striking down the licensing law. They’ll sit on the case until at least the next presidential election when it’s pretty much a given that democrats take the presidency again. This way, they can replace Justice Thomas and Justice Alito with two liberal appointees.

Back
Top Bottom