Maryland Police Hassle Unarmed Florida Tourist because he had CCW Permit

no of course not, just like FA-10's in MA aren't kept to form a database on what guns people own

Heh, I'm going to ask my MSP friend if there is a comment section under the list they see when they pull your license info. I'll ask him to write, "Come Heavy!" at the bottom.

I've asked an ex-JBT friend of mine how this scenario would play in Massachusetts, his advice was "No cop on the side of the road is going to care about a plastic card in your wallet, but you damned well better declare if you are actively carrying... And turn on the interior light, and keep your seatbelt on, and lace your hands through the steering wheel, and the first thing out of your mouth better be 'Officer, I have a License to Carry and I AM armed at this time'"

You're friend gave you some foolhardy advise. There is zero reason to mention LTC or anything about carrying unless for some unnecessary reason, they happen to ask you directly.

Of course, the problem is, if they do ask, they probation have a chip on their shoulder that they want to get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse the brevity and auto corrected wrong words

Because most people, for good or I'll, are scared shtless of the police and are brainwashed by their parents to do what the nice policemn tells them.

True, with an emphasis on the 'for good'. Too many stories of cops murdering people for not complying, so I really don't fault people for doing so as much as some people. Sometimes you are left with only 2 choices, comply or die. Maybe soon this will change and those will be the only two choices for the police.

I've asked an ex-JBT friend of mine how this scenario would play in Massachusetts, his advice was "No cop on the side of the road is going to care about a plastic card in your wallet, but you damned well better declare if you are actively carrying... And turn on the interior light, and keep your seatbelt on, and lace your hands through the steering wheel, and the first thing out of your mouth better be 'Officer, I have a License to Carry and I AM armed at this time'"

You need a new friend, or at least put him on the list of friends who gives idiotic advice... That's right up there with getting pulled over for speeding and declaring you have a flare gun in your get home bag...[thinking]

This also sparks memories of neg reps when I tell guys who post that their wives/girlfriends "don't like" or "won't allow" guns to man the hell up....

Some states have a "Declare" requirement (Michigan???) if you have a CPL/CCW/LTC, whether you are actively carrying or not.

I guess in Maryland the "No cop on the side of the road" part of his analysis doesn't really apply. [angry]

Ahh ya f**k that

This story is bizarro land. I'm not sure how they even knew this guy had a gun, unless he had like NRA stickers on his car or something... or he was stupid enough to put his FL CWL/CHL or whatever they call it in a visible location in his wallet.

-Mike

How dose a MD cop know a FL guy have a carry permit ?

EXACTLY.

First off - why did he pull him over , and secondly - how did he know he had a permit.

Not for nothing - but from the description in the story it almost sounds like the cop was looking for a reason to pull them over, called in the FL plate - maybe BECAUSE he thought the guy might be carrying - called in the plate, found out he DID indeed have a permit , pulled the guy over BECAUSE of that - and then beat around the bush just long enough to try and make it seem like that wasn't the original reason WHY he pulled him over - and then it turned to shit from there.

An interesting piece of information would be to know if the cop had previously busted interstate travelers from other states carrying what would be illegal handguns in Maryland.

This story is bizarro land. I'm not sure how they even knew this guy had a gun, unless he had like NRA stickers on his car or something... or he was stupid enough to put his FL CWL/CHL or whatever they call it in a visible location in his wallet.

-Mike

Putting the screws to the guy because he had a firearms related sticker on his car?

No way would the cops do something like that...

Maryland --(Ammoland.com)- On May 29, 2011, the Baltimore Police Criminal Intelligence Section issued an “Intelligence Bulletin” warning officers about persons displaying the 2nd Amendment decal pictured here. The bulletin contains the following caption in bold red letters:

“….while the individual who is displaying the symbol may not be armed, the presence of the symbol provides an early warning indicator that you MAY be about to encounter an armed individual.”

It apparently never occurred to the Intelligence Section that perhaps we the people could use a warning that the presence of a badge provides an early warning that we are about to encounter an armed individual. While this may seem a bit sarcastic, it is certainly not unfair for Maryland citizens to have reason for concern when they are approached by an officer.

This is especially true when the officers are overly tense because they have been warned that a citizen with a decal or patch MAY be armed.

This Association asked James H. Green, of the Baltimore City Police Department to explain why the Baltimore City Police Department feels the need to profile persons who choose to support the U.S. Constitution.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/06/baltimore-police-issue-2nd-amendment-decal-warning/

The cop was a Maryland Transportation Authority cop and started tailing the Expedition after they got out of the Ft. McHenry tunnel. You have to pay the $4.00 toll to travel through the tunnel, which means you stop at a toll booth. And it probably means your license plate is photographed when you do.

My guess is that his license plate was photographed and *AUTOMATICALLY SCANNED* at the tunnel entrance and by the time he was on the other side, he had been flagged as a "suspicious person" for some reason. Either that, or for some reason the cop decided to check him out in the vicinity of the tunnel. I wonder whether or not the patrol officer was aware of the CCW permit at the time he took the license, or only afterward?

The Fort McHenry tunnel passes underneath Baltimore Harbor and I have no doubt that the authorities there are watching everything that goes in and out of that tunnel.

Very strange set of circumstances there and definitely creepy as heck.

Last edited:
Some states have a "Declare" requirement (Michigan???) if you have a CPL/CCW/LTC, whether you are actively carrying or not.

I guess in Maryland the "No cop on the side of the road" part of his analysis doesn't really apply. [angry]

If I was a cop and some shmuck just told me he was armed I would consider that a threat. If I am asked I will surely respond truthfully but to offer without being asked seems stupid.

MA doesn't require you to declare that you are carrying. I've been stopped in MA a couple times while I was carrying. The officer didn't ask. I didn't volunteer. He wrote out a warning, I thanked the officer and drove off.

Unless the officer tells you to get out of the car or you are carrying in a way that you can't get your license without flashing, then there simply isn't any reason to volunteer this information in MA. No good will come of it.

BTW, if the cop doesn't assume that you have a gun (whether you have an LTC or not), then he is a fool.

Last edited:
Maryland cops enjoy pulling over and ticketing out-of-state drivers. It's a steady revenue stream, and doesn't affect (piss off) their own residents. I think most people would just as soon pay the ticket than have to return to Maryland to fight it.

Maybe they started out with some such shenanigans, and then it spiraled out of control from there (calling in for backup, emptying/searching the vehicle, 2 hours detained on the side of the road). But yeah, where does a Maryland officer get any information about a FL driver's CCW?

Maryland cops enjoy pulling over and ticketing out-of-state drivers. It's a steady revenue stream, and doesn't affect (piss off) their own residents. I think most people would just as soon pay the ticket than have to return to Maryland to fight it.

Maybe they started out with some such shenanigans, and then it spiraled out of control from there (calling in for backup, emptying/searching the vehicle, 2 hours detained on the side of the road). But yeah, where does a Maryland officer get any information about a FL driver's CCW?

I was pulled over on 95 North in Maryland with Florida plates in 98. Wasn't speeding, no faulty equipment. Cop asked for license and reg, asked where I was headed (I was on my way to MA). She made me wait 15 minutes or so then told me to get lost, no ticket, no warning, no explanation. She had a serious attitude throughout the stop. JBT.

Last edited:
I was pulled over on 95 North in Maryland with Florida plates in 98. Wasn't speeding, no faulty equipment. Cop asked for license and reg, asked where I was headed (I was on my way to MA). She made me wait 15 minutes or so then told me to get lost, no ticket, no warning, no explanation. She had a serious attitude thought the stop. JBT.

War on drugs. Thought you might be a courier.

Bill of rights? What bill of rights? [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom