Maryland Police Hassle Unarmed Florida Tourist because he had CCW Permit

They can order you to tap dance through traffic too if they want to. Courts have defended all sorts of unlawful police conduct.

I read somewhere an opinion piece on dealing with police. In it, it was recommended you comply with them. While that is something I completely disagree with, the reasoning behind doing so was accurate. During a traffic stop, or other encounter with police, it doesn't matter what you are doing, how right you are, how wrong they are, they are the law. You can handle the situation whichever way you like, but if a cop wants to do something, they will do it, your consent is not conditional. Sadly, this is true.

As a side note, I have a fair number of carry permits from different states and I travel all over. In all the times I've been stopped neither my permit, nor whether I had a firearm have ever been brought up.

That said I've never been pulled over in MD.

They can order you to tap dance through traffic too if they want to. Courts have defended all sorts of unlawful police conduct.

I read somewhere an opinion piece on dealing with police. In it, it was recommended you comply with them. While that is something I completely disagree with, the reasoning behind doing so was accurate. During a traffic stop, or other encounter with police, it doesn't matter what you are doing, how right you are, how wrong they are, they are the law. You can handle the situation whichever way you like, but if a cop wants to do something, they will do it, your consent is not conditional. Sadly, this is true.

This is exactly why you need to treat every encounter with a police officer as if it will become a violent confrontation. Police now behave far more like criminals than law officers.

Ok, but that's speculation isn't it? I'm not trying to defend the cop, I'm just saying that I cannot even believe that a cop would randomly pull some guy over for no reason and shake him down. There's just got to be something more to it. Maybe I'm not ready to accept that law and order has completely dissolved into tyranny.

[rofl]

Wow - seriously? You need to spend some more time actually reading some of the crap that has happened to people by cops - that was COMPLETELY unjustified.

Look up "cognitive dissonance"

Ok, but that's speculation isn't it? I'm not trying to defend the cop, I'm just saying that I cannot even believe that a cop would randomly pull some guy over for no reason and shake him down. There's just got to be something more to it. Maybe I'm not ready to accept that law and order has completely dissolved into tyranny.

Join us when you wake up.

Join us when you wake up.

Yeah, I get it. It's not that, though. It's just that I have no evidence that shows what happened here. What was he pulled over for? No one has answered this. How can anyone be all up in arms over something when the facts aren't known?

Last edited:
Yeah, I get it. It's not that, though. It's just that I have no evidence that shows what happened here. What was he pulled over for? No one has answered this. How can anyone be all up in arms over something that the facts aren't known?

It's not just this incident. There are literally HUNDREDS of these types of things that happen all across the country every single day.

The most recent one that stands out is the guy who was basically anally raped down in New Mexico because the police were so insistent that he was smuggling drugs up his bunghole.

Don't be a Luke Skywalker.

The most recent one that stands out is the guy who was basically anally raped down in New Mexico because the police were so insistent that he was smuggling drugs up his bunghole.

Here it is for those who have not read the story:

New Mexico man sues over repeated anal probes by police

Excerpt:

"Officers suspected that he was hiding drugs in his anus, based on the way he was standing and the fact that a police dog alerted to his driver's seat, and obtained a search warrant "to include but not limited to (plaintiff's) anal cavity," according to the lawsuit.

After a medical facility in Deming refused to carry out the procedures, Eckert was taken to Gila Regional Medical Center in nearby Silver City, the lawsuit says, where he was forced to undergo eight searches - including digital penetration of his anus, three enemas, two X-rays and a colonoscopy.

Ultimately, no drugs were found, according to the complaint, which says that the Gila Regional Medical Center billed Eckert for the services it performed.
"

Apparently, the same thing happened to another person as well:

Second Anal Probe Lawsuit Being Filed Against N.M. Police

Last edited:
Silly man, thinking he had any sort of rights in one of our lovely communist run states.
I suppose he got off lucky, if it was New York they might have mag dumped on his ass and asked questions later.
at least in NY they would have probably missed him and hit the wife.

Yeah, I get it. It's not that, though. It's just that I have no evidence that shows what happened here. What was he pulled over for? No one has answered this. How can anyone be all up in arms over something when the facts aren't known?

When I was a teenager the cops used to pull us over and shame us down all the time. Getting harassed by dickhead cops wasa fairly routine occurrence.

Now, despite having fielded apologies from the officer’s captain as well as from a Maryland Transportation Authority Police internal affairs captain...

He should also be given a bucket to hold the cash he can collect from the State of Maryland.

even if it is made it up its still a good representation of all (ok, not all, there is much more) that is wrong with authority these days

Some states have a "Declare" requirement (Michigan???) if you have a CPL/CCW/LTC, whether you are actively carrying or not.

I've asked an ex-JBT friend of mine how this scenario would play in Massachusetts, his advice was "No cop on the side of the road is going to care about a plastic card in your wallet, but you damned well better declare if you are actively carrying... And turn on the interior light, and keep your seatbelt on, and lace your hands through the steering wheel, and the first thing out of your mouth better be 'Officer, I have a License to Carry and I AM armed at this time'"

I guess in Maryland the "No cop on the side of the road" part of his analysis doesn't really apply. [angry]

What a total load of BS.

You are under NO obligation to inform an officer that you are carrying concealed. Same in Maryland.

It's called "Duty To Inform" and it is "NO" in Mass and in MD.

The ONLY time you should inform an officer that your are armed in Mass, is if they are asking you to get out of the vehicle or they are about to arrest you.

Other than that, it's none of their god damned business.

Your "friend" is giving you terrible advice.

What a total load of BS.

You are under NO obligation to inform an officer that you are carrying concealed. Same in Maryland.

It's called "Duty To Inform" and it is "NO" in Mass and in MD.

The ONLY time you should inform an officer that your are armed in Mass, is if they are asking you to get out of the vehicle or they are about to arrest you.

Other than that, it's none of their god damned business.

Your "friend" is giving you terrible advice.

My intent in sharing that is to put out there, explicitly, something we all know implicitly... Some LEOs interpret (or ignore) the laws in their own special way and those that choose to ignore the law do so out of misguided self-protection, puffed up self-importance, or General Purpose Thuggery.

LEOs and their power-mad siblings the JBTs are human too, and situational awareness applies to dealing with LEOs no less than walking city streets at night: If you run across the "misguided self-protection" or "puffed up self-important" type and you react confrontationally, you'll see the General Purpose Thug come out right quick.

Note that I have never stated that I have heeded, or intend to heed, his advice. [thinking]
In reality I'll probably take the "don't ask don't tell, unless asked directly or asked to exit the vehicle" route.

That is all.

There is an exceptionally courteous young trooper in Walpole this evening giving out warnings for rolling the I91 south off ramp. No sarcasm, he was very nice [grin]

So how did the MD officer know this guy had an FL license to carry?

The big question here is, how did the Maryland State Police officer find out about the Florida permit? The long delay between when he started to follow the victim until he pulled him over makes me suspect he ran the plates via Florida, this would give him the owner's name and info, but from this can MD police find out whether an FL driver has an FL CHL?

Or did the driver flash the CHL when he got out his driver's license, either intentionally or accidentally? Or did MSP call him into Florida after they had his DL in hand?

Back
Top Bottom