Marlboro show thoughts

I've had good luck on Sundays. I call it gun show fate.[smile]
First time I'll be htting the show on both days. Look for the guy with the pony tail and old German backpack. [wink]

The guy working the GOAL table,Jeff Durkin.He isn't the most inviting character I have ever seen.I wouldn't be suprised if he actually scared people away from the GOAL table.He just stands there with his arms folded and glares at everybody like he wants to eat them.I know he is the President of GOAL,but damn.

Being at the show made me realize I can make $10K if I rented a table and sold off all my ammo.

Is Derek still at the bar,does he need a ride ?[smile]

Wow, that show was *packed* at 10am. Went with a wish list: project ak47's,
airguns, ammo, black powder rifle. Honestly, did not find anything that was interesting
in those catagories. The show was big but prices seemed really high. My favorite
was an unmodified MAK90 for $650! [shocked] [shocked] [shocked]
A couple of cool Aresenal AKs but too rich for my blood. Saw a ton of NESers.

F

I agree that I didn't find anyting that jumped out at me and the prices were crazy. You just can't get the deals that you used to. I did see more NES'ers than I ever have in one place. Nice to finally put faces to a lot of the names I see here daily. That and I got a free t-shirt from Zero Hour Arms...

My friend got a ruger sp101 .357 for $419 i didnt get anything except a range bag. Probably wont be going to anymore gun shows, just dont seem worth it unless its a short drive. Wasnt worth driving up from the cape thats for sure.

I remain singularly unimpressed with GOAL. I sent them an email a month ago telling them that the link on their home page to renew a membership was broken. It still is. If they can't effectively use this new "Internet" thing, they aren't making the best use of their resources.

I spent a hellish hour there from about 9:30 to 10:30, then came back from about 2:00-4:00. I didn't know about the beers in the hotel, else I would've been there. I came looking for ammo, ammo cans (only found one small plastic one for $6), AK kits or receivers (was tempted by a Yugo underfolder but the bore looked questionable and I felt I could do much better with an online purchase). I ended up buying a couple boxes of 9mm +P+ and a half case of Yugo brass 7.62 x 39 from the surly dudes in the middle of the hall. I thought the prices were high across the board.

I wasn't particularly impressed.

Any Mosins in the $100-$200 price range? How about 7.62x54R? .223/5.56 prices?

OH! what about CZ rifles?? Anyone see any?

AND SHOTGUNS!! Any 870's there cheap?

The Mosins they had were waaaaay overpriced. for what was being asked I would expect all matching numbers, 95%+ finish and mirror bright bores.

What nearly everyone had (I didn't stop at every table.) was the usual assortment of mixmasters which tipically sell for $70.00 - $99.00 everywhere.

Can someone tell me were the GOAL booth was, at the show, I was going to join but I couldn't find it. I even asked about four people and their reply was, "I have no idea"
I will be going back tomorow,
Thanks in advance.

I wanted to stop in for the beer break but I ended up coming back from
a loong service call around 3:30 or so and basically caught the tail end
of the show. I only ended up buying a holster and one of those
Glock grip tape kits. I chatted with LenS a bit while he was sampling
the hot sauce vendor's stuff.

Now, I know "guns at gun shows" are never usually a super deal, but to me
it seemed a lot of stuff was abnormally high priced today, with a few
exceptions here and there. Some of these vendors are crazy with
what they want in terms of cash. I mean I can understand high prices
on things that have a high free market value, but some of this stuff was
crazy. This one guy wanted like $619 for a rem 870 marine magnum with
a folding stock on it. I -have- one of these shotguns and I paid like $350
for it was on consignment at FS and essentially unfired. $619 is -HIGHER-
than the damn MSRP of the gun which is like $599! (I know the thing
had a folder, but its a choate or a tapco and cant cost more than 50 bucks
or so. ) I almost get the impression that these guys like hauling
overpriced merchandise around the country. I love seeing certain
overpriced items at these shows that I saw at the same show LAST
YEAR all because they don't want to take like $5 off the price. [laugh]

I guess the moral of the story is what I've said all along... gun shows are better for
accessories (and sometimes ammo) than they are for guns.

-Mike

The Mosins they had were waaaaay overpriced. for what was being asked I would expect all matching numbers, 95%+ finish and mirror bright bores.

What nearly everyone had (I didn't stop at every table.) was the usual assortment of mixmasters which tipically sell for $70.00 - $99.00 everywhere.

...Mausers?

I wish I knew more about them...

Can someone tell me were the GOAL booth was, at the show, I was going to join but I couldn't find it. I even asked about four people and their reply was, "I have no idea"
I will be going back tomorow,
Thanks in advance.
When you go in the door, keep going straight ALL the way to the far left end of the hall. You'll see The Powder Keg (and C-pher). Now... make a right turn and go down past their setup and just on the other side of the pillar you'll find the GOAL table.

Saw LOTS of NESrs but missed JayG and M4M. I might be back tomorrow afternoon for a bit. And yes, I DID, as promised, wear my Hawaiian shirt. Along with a BRIGHT purple and green document case I used for my ill-gotten gains.

Picked up a holster, a brass brush and a magic thumb loader, got some beef jerky and some kickass BBQ sauce. I'd have tried it out tonight but Mortis, his GF and I went up to Danvers to the FREE Game supper (as opposed to the $30/head one at Marlboro Fish & Game and the $25/head one at Maynard).

Spent a very nice night with my exboss (his company laid me off 17 years ago and we're still friends. Great guy) his wife and one of his daughters... who lives in Alston and wants to learn to shoot. Expect to see her show up here sometime soon...

was there today on a mission looking for a S/W 5906. I found two. one guy wanted $550 for a used one with no box etc. Another dealer had a new 5906 TSW wanted 800 for it,lowest he would take is $750. I left empty handed went to collectors in stoneham, Found an unfired S/W 4006 TSW for 600 with the box ,paperwork and extra mag. The 4006 came home with me I am a happy man,but my wife is now not speaking to me!!! LOL I thought the show was just OK but most of the dealers where way overpriced

...Mausers?

I wish I knew more about them...

What do you wanna know? [smile]

I know there was a really nice M48 Mauser there for $200. Thats what they were going for years ago and now they're almost all dried up. If I didn't already have one I would have scooped it up. It was a few rows before the GOAL table end of the show in the middle aisle.
If its still there tomorrow I may offer a deal.

Yep, the GOAL tables is right behind us. If you go to the GOAL table, make sure that you stop by and say HI to me at the Powder Keg.

I can't believe how many NESers that I say yesterday. It was just so busy that I didn't get to really talk to many of you. And I'm sorry.

I'm sure that today I'll have more time to talk.

was there today on a mission looking for a S/W 5906. I found two. one guy wanted $550 for a used one with no box etc. Another dealer had a new 5906 TSW wanted 800 for it,lowest he would take is $750. I left empty handed went to collectors in stoneham, Found an unfired S/W 4006 TSW for 600 with the box ,paperwork and extra mag. The 4006 came home with me I am a happy man,but my wife is now not speaking to me!!! LOL I thought the show was just OK but most of the dealers where way overpriced

Saw a 5906 at Larocca's table that had been refinished by him,pistol looked excellent. It was an older one with the square trigger guard and rear site guards. IIRC, asking price was $375.00

This one guy wanted like $619 for a rem 870 marine magnum with
a folding stock on it. I -have- one of these shotguns and I paid like $350
for it was on consignment at FS and essentially unfired. $619 is -HIGHER-
than the damn MSRP of the gun which is like $599! (I know the thing
had a folder, but its a choate or a tapco and cant cost more than 50 bucks
or so. )
-Mike

Tombstone has had the shotty for a while now.I agree that $619 might be a little high but the folding stock is a Badger Creek ($90) and has ghost ring sites (maybe $75 ?)

As far as comparing what you got at $350,you can't really make the comparison because you got one helluva deal,congrats.I've been hunting for a Marine Magnum for a while and if I found one for $350 the money would be flying out of my pocket.

I always find it amusing to watch people pay $750-$1000 for a $500 USP 40.Sometimes I just want to help the person out and not let them get ripped off,but it would take business away from the dealer.All it takes is a little searching and patience.

Picked up a Rock River stripped lower for 140 no great deal but saved on transfer fee since I had planned on buying online.

What do you wanna know?

I know there was a really nice M48 Mauser there for $200. Thats what they were going for years ago and now they're almost all dried up. If I didn't already have one I would have scooped it up. It was a few rows before the GOAL table end of the show in the middle aisle.
If its still there tomorrow I may offer a deal.

Don't even think about it pal... [smile]

Just the differences between all the Mauser rifles, and the history behind them. WHat a good price is for a Mauser in X condition, and what to look for when buying (like a hex receiver and Tula-made for the Mosins).

I saw Madmarc0 when I first went into the show today right when it oppened. He told me someone bought the Yugo M48 yesterday. [sad] At the $200 price and considering someone had one a few aisles over for $300, I'd say it was a good deal especially since they're harder to find now, and in nice condition.

This thread: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15335
has a good amount of input from diferent posters on what to look for when buying a Mauser.

On a show related note, some thoughts for today...
I went back this morning and picked up some like new Czech grips for my CZ52, some jerky, and .223 from the NY table. I actually miss Steve being there because I could sometimes get a deal out him of him and he was always pretty helpful in recommending ammo to me. I think I'm the only person from here who liked dealing with him.[laugh]

I offered a seller $212 (all the cash I had in my wallet) for a Norinco paratrooper model with the side scope rail that had a tag for $240 on it, but the seller wouldn't budge. No wonder its been on his table for 3 shows now. [rolleyes] Its really not worth much more than $200.

I met OAR348 who I sold my Mosin Type 53 to, and chatted with USMA-82, C-pher, and Madmarc0 for a bit. Small crowd today and while there wasn't as many NESrs to talk to as yesterday, it was much easier to make your way around and look at stuff.

After seeing the prices on bayonets and some of the other stuff there today, I think if we had a few NES tables we could rake in some serious cash getting rid of the unwanted stuff lots of us have laying around. [hmmm]

Just getting a chance to chat for a minute about this...

Yesterday, for the short period of time I could be there, was great! I couldn't believe how many NESrs I saw...What a turnout. I also know that I didn't see half of you due to the short period of time I was there.

Didn't leave with much...Just a couple boxes of ammo and a freakin' sweet AR! [wink]

Just getting a chance to chat for a minute about this...

...Yesterday, for the short period of time I could be there, was great! I couldn't believe how many NESrs I saw...What a turnout. I also know that I didn't see half of you due to the short period of time I was there.

Didn't leave with much...Just a couple boxes of ammo and a freakin' sweet AR! [wink]

As soon as you rest up, post pictures of your new AR, man!

I was there today. I had my 4 year old with me so I didn't stay to long. I did pick up a set of crimson trace grips for my M60. I saw zero hour had bushmaster lowers, I guess I will swing n]by thw shop and pick one up.
I did get to meet c-pher finally. He lives in the next town, and I had to drive an hour to meet him.

The morning started off bad with my car not starting. Ended up leaving about 45 mins late. Got there about 9:45.

Met with Milsurps 4 Me, bought his MN Type 53[smile]. Right after that I met and sold one of my Norinco SKS's to tools8288. After that I finaly got into the show, and then met C-pher and USMA82.

Nothing really caught my eye, saw a wicked nice Russian SKS which I woulda bought if I had the cash.[sad] But one of those is definetly next on my list. Ammo prices seemed about avg or a little above avg for what I pay at home so I didn't end picking anything up.

Overall I liked it, would definetly go again. It was nice meeting some NESers.

It was a nice day for the hour's ride to the show, easy parking and walked right in. They never even asked if I was carrying ( I must look very calm[smile] ). Without the big crowds it was easy to make several circuits around the hall and look at everything that interested me. A lot of the same inventory that was at the Manchester show was still for sale but I did come away with a very decent SA marked 91/30, no original stock finish but very good blue and a shiny crisp bore.

...both ends of the spectrum - not much between the $2000+ tired ol' winchesters and the piles of 100 ruble greasy Soviet rifles...the miscellaneous table of reloading supplies from whoever died since the last show always turn up interesting items, but they make me aware of my own mortality - I can see my stuff getting unloaded there someday.

Back
Top Bottom