Marlboro show thoughts

SKS Ray

NES Member
I wound up going to the show this morning and man was it packed. My friend and I got there at about 20 past 9 and there was still a line out in the freezing cold. I don't know how you got in BJ but if I knew it was gonna be that cold standing in line I'd have paid you the cash to get us in quicker.[smile]
After I thawed out I made my way around the tables and started checking out stuff. Not many great deals but than again I didn't check everything. Mainly because I knew if I saw something great I wouldn't have the cash for it. Low budget show this time around for me. Lots of nice AK47s there but they were out of my wallet range this time around.
One of the good things about Marlboro is ammo inside the show. Even though there were no great deals to be found its nice to be able to shop around for competitive prices. Best deal I got was 2 boxes of Wolf Gold 303 for $20 which is a little better than average price. I got a freebie shirt from Zero Hour, I also picked up an SKS sling for my Albanian, some targets from the target selling folks renewed my GOAL membership, plus my friend and I picked up NES AR stickers. We didn't see any NES AK stickers. ::cough:: Derek? [wink]
Saw and talked to a bunch of NESrs and met a few that I hadn't met before which is always cool.
Having the German rucksack from SG came in very handy and I plan on bringing one to every show now. Beats the hell outa carrying plastic bags.
I'll be going back tomorrow morning with my Father because he couldn't go today, plus I'll be selling a rifle to another NESr. Sunday is usually a good day for deals when people are worried they won't be able to get rid of something.[grin]

Good seeing you again, Milsurps. Wish I could have spent more time at the show (and made the noon beer-break...) [crying]

Thought the show was pretty good, but REALLY crowded. It would have been a LOT better if I'd had more cash. I'm hoping next month's show in Danvers has roughly the same stuff...

I've decided I am rich beyond my wildest imagination after looking at some
of the prices on handguns at the show. [smile]

I thought that I had a good deal on an M10 which I saw for around $180.
When I had it out and turned it over I saw why it was such a good price. It
looked like the other side had sat in a swamp for the last six months. The
guy selling it wouldn't budge on the price so he still owns it I suspect.

It was busy. I wanted to look at another M10 at that table just to the left as
you go in but I waited for 30 minutes and couldn't get anyone to help me out
so I left without it. I doubt that the guy would have come down to what
I wanted to pay for it. The tag said NEW???? and it had a fair turn ring
on the cylinder. Do they think people are that stupid?

I wasn't aware that you could sell personal guns at the show. I would
have done this had I known.

Met a number of NES'ers as well. Got my NES decal too.

TBP

I thought it was a good show, lots of stuff, too much for me to buy anything, but that's not unusual. [thinking]

I did get a smattering of stuff I needed and was happy to spend some money. [smile]

The REAL fun, of course was the Noonish to 3ish "beer break" at the hotel with about 8-10 NES'ers at any one time. [smile]

Those of you that missed the gathering, and our constant barrage of comments about the "Appalation Mountain Club" tree-hugger gathering in the lobby, as well as other more personal banter around the campfire, missed a great time as usual. [party]

The last time we had an Indian wedding, complete with groom on horseback.. tough to beat. [rolleyes]

I look forward to the next outing![smile]

Those of you that missed the gathering, and our constant barrage of comments about the "Appalation Mountain Club" tree-hugger gathering in the lobby, as well as other more personal banter around the campfire, missed a great time as usual. [party]
Ah, so that explains all the [devil] Patrick bumper stickers in the parking lot.

I enjoyed the show. It had ups and downs for me. I was able to pick up a few small things I wanted, primarily from Mike at MLE Shooting. He is a great guy to talk to and do business with. I also finally bit the bullet and bought a new safe. I'll get that in a week or two. It's big.
The bad news for me is that I'm a little slow at recognizing a great deal. The dealer along the back wall had a S&W 610 with 6.5 inch barrel (used) for I think $589. I've been wanting one for a while and when I saw it I couldn't believe my eyes. I checked it out and it was in excellent condition. What turned me off was that there were initials engraved in the side. I gave it back while I thought it over. Less than ten minutes later it was gone. I was kicking myself for the rest of the day for not buying it on the spot. I need to get better at recognizing a deal and buy it on the spot. I know I'm going to lose sleep tonight over it. Oh well.
-Cuz.

And, for those of us fortunate enough to be in the bar at lunch, we got to watch Brent suck down some beers, a shot, and then almost hook up with a blonde, a brunette, and The Beast!

Unfortunately for Brent, it was a swing and a miss.

I was thinking about picking up another Mosin. I was looking for an M-38,and I cannot believe the pricing ! I foung one or two which were nice but not nice enough for the $175.00 to $199.00 price tags ! [shocked]

Said hello to a few NES'ers there. Extended my GOAL membership, bought a NES decal. ( Hey where's dat AK decal ? ) [grin]

I got there around 10am and man did I have to park way in the back. I didn't wear a heavy coat because it can get hot in there, so I had a LONG cold walk to the venue. I couldn't beleive the amount of people there at 10am. It was packed solid, which made it pretty hard getting through the aisle. It seemed to thin out around 1pm though and I went back through a few isles I passed the first time around.

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but I did check out a bunch of things. Ran into Milsurps4me in my first 10 minutes there. Didn't get a chance to talk with him as this guy kinda came up to me and started asking questions about prices. He was looking at a Henry replica for $1000 and he was asking me if that was a good price. NO, was the answer as I've seen that model for $800. Told him to haggle, but I don't think he did.

I also ran into a bunch of guys I shoot with at the Hopkington Sportsmen's Club table. Alway a great bunch of guys. While I was walking around I was oh so tempted to buy a S&W 625 for $450. Damn I should of jumped on that. I also spent a good amount of time googling the 1919A4 that MadMarc0had at the Zero Arms table. I realized that I already new MadMarc0 as I bought his East German Mak he had for sale at the Big E. I was going to say hi, but he was pretty busy. They seemed to be selling a LOT of stuff at that table. I was oh so tempted to just buy the thing on a credit card. Still am actually.

Had a great time. The only problem was that I got a call from work and found out my phone system had crashed and I had 250 Call Center agents sitting around on their hands. [angry] Anyone want to guess on how long it took me to get from Marlboro to Canton. Lets just say I'm glad I didn't pass any State Troopers. Not to mention I was on the phone the whole way with Avaya. I was going to stop in for a beer and say hi. Damn! Maybe next time.

Too crowded, and not many good deals to be had. I picked up a nice S&W pocket knife, but that's about it. I don't think I'll be going to another Marlboro show.

This show had the best diamonds-in-the-ruff if you asked me...

I ended up getting a 1/2 case of Wolf .223 for $60 out the door!!! That is a total steal by today's current market price. It wasnt any cheaper then $90 not including tax anywhere else. From the same guy I got 300 rounds of UMC 9mm for $30.00 out the door (no tax). I was very pleased with my finds

I usually like the Marlboro show, but today was a good show, not a great show. It seemed the inventories were down, prices mostly high, and not many dealers offering reloading supplies.

One of the oddest things I saw was a plastic trash barrel stuffed with old, tired milsurp rifles, with a sign on the side saying "Any Rifle, $99."

I picked up a couple of I-Shot goodies from Mike Luciano Enterprises, and had a great time chatting with fellow NESers both at the show and at lunch in the bar.

Enjoyable, even if not particularly memorable.

Had a great time. The only problem was that I got a call from work and found out my phone system had crashed and I had 250 Call Center agents sitting around on their hands. [angry] Anyone want to guess on how long it took me to get from Marlboro to Canton. Lets just say I'm glad I didn't pass any State Troopers. Not to mention I was on the phone the whole way with Avaya. I was going to stop in for a beer and say hi. Damn! Maybe next time.

Why is it IT projects know it's the weekend and that they should crash? It never fails, especially if you have plans.

Anyway I didn't make as I had to go to an instructor update in scenic Haverhill. It's a good thing that I didn't have a gun or I would have shot myself out of boredom. :(

Maybe tomorrow, although I think my wife wants to take a trip to Kittery so I'll probably not make it at all.

Gary

I thought it was a good show but ive been before and knew wut i was looking for. I did get really excited becuase i saw a Springfield XD 45 ACP for 530 with holster and extra mag. But then when i was talking about the price with the seller he told me he just found out they wernt MA Complient so i couldnt buy it. I did end up gettin a new holster for my Glock 31 and a Surefire X200 for the rail of my G31 and man is it bright. I will be at the Danvers show to check it out.

Pretty good show.
-1 on the ammo prices.[sad]
Found the Ruger New Vaquero that I was looking for, at a good price.[smile]
Finally broke down and bought a Yugo SKS but I forgot to factor in the price of cleaning solvent.[laugh]
Bought a box of British-loaded .405 Winchester for too much just because it was "cool".[rolleyes]
Nice to have a chat with a few NESers.

The show was lively, lots of buyers and sellers. However, it was not very good IMHO.

- Prices were high - 9mm ammo was $150/1000 - that's just under $8/box, same price as FS.
- Glock subcompacts were going for $750-850, certainly no bargains to be found there.
- Glock subcompact mags were 50% over retail, and the ones I saw were used, not new.
- The guy with all the little bags of AR parts wasn't there. The one with all the spring kits etc.
- Nobody had any ammo cans for sale except one guy, and he only had very large squarish ones.

On the bright side, after intensive searching, I found one guy with Gold Dot's at a very nice price, 50% off retail.

AND IT WAS COLD OUT THERE :)

Wasn't bad, got to meet up with a bunch of NES'ers. Alan bought a few things, and Glenn did also. Alan also met up with a few guys from his unit while we were walking around. All in all not a bad day.[grin] Poor Brent got thrown under the bus and wasn't even on the boards for it.[laugh]

All I can say is WOW [shocked]

I could not believe how many NES'rs were there. Every time I turned around I saw another member. I was so busy talking to everyone I didn't even get to look around so much, probably best I didn't (this warden would have killed me if I bought anything).

We had an ok time I found some of the things I was looking for, (the last 3 crates of Rominian 8mm they had for $94 a crate of 760) it is about as good as you can get mail order (If you could get mail order) and I picked up some more AK mags at a good price (10.00 ea and 2 new in bag) and a .30 cal booster for the 8mm comversion for the 1919.
ran into a BUNCH of you NES-ers (I suck at names so sorry) and the boy got his optics for his ar he was looking for.

then off to the bar and talked with everyone before we ran off to snag some lunch.

It would have been a good show if there was 1/2 the people there , less junk tables and better layout.

I almost bought a rifle at the powder keg but the bore was filthy and no way to accuratly check it as a result. (K31 in walnut)
Vendors should AT LEAST run a wet patch through the bore of guns if they want to sell them

All in all a nice day with the reunited wildweasel family.

Sorry I didn't get to meet more of the NES people today. I was busier than a one armed paper hanger!
I didn't even get to look up for at least 2 hours!
We sold a LOT of guns.

PLEASE! buy the 1919 baby needs a new pair of shoes!

I need to finish my BAR project and buy my new MP5 (full auto of course!)

I hope to see more of the NES'rS tomorrow, stop by and say HI

I enjoyed the show. It had ups and downs for me. I was able to pick up a few small things I wanted, primarily from Mike at MLE Shooting. He is a great guy to talk to and do business with. I also finally bit the bullet and bought a new safe. I'll get that in a week or two. It's big.
The bad news for me is that I'm a little slow at recognizing a great deal. The dealer along the back wall had a S&W 610 with 6.5 inch barrel (used) for I think $589. I've been wanting one for a while and when I saw it I couldn't believe my eyes. I checked it out and it was in excellent condition. What turned me off was that there were initials engraved in the side. I gave it back while I thought it over. Less than ten minutes later it was gone. I was kicking myself for the rest of the day for not buying it on the spot. I need to get better at recognizing a deal and buy it on the spot. I know I'm going to lose sleep tonight over it. Oh well.
-Cuz.

Hi Cuz,
The 610 actually sold for $625.00...

Thanks!
PMD

Hi Cuz,
The 610 actually sold for $625.00...

Thanks!
PMD

Ha, was it you that grabbed it? Even at $625 it was a good deal. I haven't been able to find one anywhere. Oh well, if you snooze you lose.
At least I got a new safe and some goodies from MLE. If I hadn't already bought a couple of new semi-autos in the last month I would have held onto it for sure.
Good luck with it.
-Cuz.

Well I found what I thought was a steal. A Colt Combat Comander for $650. Everyone else had them from $850 to $999. So I go back to the table and run the pistol trough the safety paces that my feeble brain could remember and when it passed I bought it. I was happy and braggin' to every NES'er I could find (and anybody else for that matter) about my new Commander.

So I get home and low and behold what to I have, but a Comander slide on a Compact (officers's) frame. How the foul filth and foul did I miss that? ( I know how. I was so excited about having found a Commander I could afford.)

It not a big deal. I would still have bought the gun. It's just not what I "knew" I was buying. In truth this is the very project I had concidered doing to my Compact. Now I have both.

Below is the new member of my family (top) with my existing compact.

HPIM0230-1.jpg

Last edited:
I had great time and it was good to see all the NES'ers. Brent, sorry to hear that things didn't work out with you and the tree-hugger. I guess the panda fur jacket and baby seal hat were a bad idea.

I had a great show. I traded with flotter390 for an Automag V in .50AE, got another handgun (a Luger) that I've wanted since I was a little kid, and got a SUPER deal on a S&W 696. I paid $281 OTD. I looked on Gunbroker and they're selling for $745 and up!![shocked] [shocked] . Photos and details are here.

Last edited:
It sounds like you all had a great time at the show. Did you leave any good pickins for the rest of us that will be attending on Sunday [thinking]
At last years show I picked up a very nice M91 Mosin Nagant PTG, and maybe tomorrow will bring equally favorable fortune as well.

Regards,
Dana

Back
Top Bottom