Man playing with gun shoots himself in the head

I don't know about the video's authenticity, but as to the question of "flopping around" ...

As I understand it, instinctive movements, like running motions even though the animal is down or movements that might be designed to disengage from the grasp of a predator, occur because of disinhibition. That is to say, the brain normally inhibits instinctive movements, and when you suddenly take the brain offline while the rest of the CNS is still functioning, the lower parts of the CNS just cut loose. That's the explanation of it that stuck in my brain, for better or for worse. Perhaps if certain parts of the brain are left intact, the instinctive movements are still inhibited during the brief window during which they could otherwise occur. Maybe this guy scrambled his cerebral cortex, but the lower part of the brain was still functioning well enough to inhibit other movements.
My point with the pic of the deer that my son shot is that sometimes they don't flop at all and sometimes they do. I think it has more to do with what the projectile damages internally than the blanket statement that "all animals shot in the brain flop". I've seen rabbits in that I've head shot "running in place" on their side or back with devastating damage to the head. I've also seen them drop and not move at all. As far as muscle movements after taking game.....last fall I field dressed a doe my friend shot through both lungs. It was his first deer so I helped him out. When had already opened up the cavity and were in the process of splitting the pelvis to get the lower tract free and the deers hind leg muscles were "rippling". Not twitching and actually moving the legs at all but kind of tensing up an causing a rippling effect in the muscle. Deer was clearly "expired" and had been for 15 to 20 minutes when we noticed it.

Death of the body is a curious thing. There clearly can me movement of muscles well after actual death.

If the CNS is cut with a projectile the only thing that might "flop" a little, is the eyelid or upper-lip...

I watched a couple of times and it looked like he was showing the guy who isn't dead how the rounds feed into the chamber. Then it looks like he's showing him the safety after he lets one go into the chamber. I'm guessing it was a decocker and not a safety and when he said something like 'see, totally safe to pull the trigger now' clickBANG

How does that jive with a headless chicken that flaps and kicks for almost a minute?
Magic...

...and not all of God's creatures are built the same.
How come a Guillotined man does not get up and run around like a chicken-with-its-head-cut-off...?

There was also a chicken that lived for more than a minute after loosing his cabeza. 18 months post-separation to be precise, and it was still able to eat...

Mike the Headless Chicken:
IMG_20180521_135228.jpg

So, I guess anything is possible...

Last edited:
There was a video circulating around the interwebz many years ago of a man sitting in a holding room at some police station. He wasn't cuffed, shackled or anything else, and apparently wasn't searched very well because about a minute into the video, he takes a sip of water and then pulls a 1911 from his waste band and puts a round in his head. It was pretty gruesome.

ETA: Found it. Warning: Graphic AF.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvh_rFzNApQ

Last edited:
Anytime I've shot an animal in the head, it flops around like crazy. Think chicken with it's head cut off. Fake.
I’ve had to do it many times.

Some flop around. Some don’t. I’m thinking humans wouldn’t do a lot of flopping. But then, I have no experience with shooting humans in the head.

Now chickens, holy cow! They can and likely will run around the farm with no head. No shit. They do it. It’s why running around like a chicken with your head cut off is a true thing.

I’ve had to do it many times.

Some flop around. Some don’t. I’m thinking humans wouldn’t do a lot of flopping. But then, I have no experience with shooting humans in the head.

Now chickens, holy cow! They can and likely will run around the farm with no head. No shit. They do it. It’s why running around like a chicken with your head cut off is a true thing.
Something about birds nervous system. I've taken two turkeys at this point and both flopped for like 3 or 4 minutes after hitting them in the head with a good pelting of number 5 shot. That's where the Turkey hunting term "bangflop" comes from. Pheasants and grouse flop too.

After looking at the brain location of the comic-book chicken above; I now believe that "Mike the Headless Chicken" was actually "Mike, the Faceless Chicken"...

iu
iu

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom