• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man gets taken down by a SWAT team for a Lego gun (Canada)

The blog of the events by the guy in question (quote below):
http://blog.jeremybell.com/2009/12/03/so-i-got-arrested-by-the-swat-team-last-night/

First, a picture of the Lego gun in question:

sm_BrickGun_Semi-Auto_w_Mag_01.jpg

If you happened to be walking by my office last night, you may have noticed a little police activity. A co-worker said she saw at least 6 SWAT, 2 uniformed officers, 2 undercover and a chopper in the air. I’ve since been told that the surrounding streets were blocked off with five cop cars in total, two ambulances, and a dozen cops all taking positions of cover around the office.

Ya, I’m a little embarrassed to say this was all for me, as last night I got arrested by the SWAT team because of a Lego gun.

Here’s the story…

A few weeks ago, I purchased a kit online to build a replica gun out of Lego. It doesn’t do much (other than clearly look real), but I’ve always been a fan of Lego so I decided to pick it up. I wish I had a decent reason for purchasing it, but I don’t. For shame, I suppose.

It arrived yesterday and at the end of the day, I decided to put it together. I literally assembled it, handed it to a co-worker (who promptly broke it) and then put it back in the box.

The SWAT arrived shortly thereafter.

A few of us were still at the office playing Modern Warfare 2, when we heard this intense yelling in the hall. We originally thought there was some sort of domestic dispute out there… that was until I clearly heard my name. The guy sounded seriously angry and was instructing me to slowly come into the hall with my hands on my head? Ya, this can’t be good.

I sheepishly opened the door to see what was going on, only to discover a SWAT member crouched in the stairwell yelling at me and another directing a small mirror into the hall. The guy in the door had a weapon with a flashlight pointed at me, so I couldn’t really see what was going on, but I was instructed to put my hands on my head and turn around. With my hands up, I had to lift my shirt and slowly spin around. Once they confirmed I wasn’t packing any Lego heat, I walked backwards towards them, was then cuffed, pulled into the stairwell and thrown against the wall.

I was surrounded by about 6 SWAT guys armed with shotguns and assault rifles. At this point it seemed like a good idea to inquire why I might be in custody. Apparently I had been reported with a gun.

“Guys, seriously? It’s Lego. It’s in a box—in pieces I might add—by my desk at the front.” Two SWAT members kept me firmly pressed against the wall, while the others went into the office in search of the so-called weapon.

“We found it…. it’s Lego.”

And with that, I was uncuffed.

I certainly can’t knock the police for how they responded, I mean the toy certainly looks legit. However, it wasn’t like I was walking around downtown with it. I didn’t actually do anything with it, but someone thru a window saw me assembling it and they called the police. From afar I can see how it would look legit, although I certainly wasn’t waving it around.

I don’t know exactly when the SWAT team was sent in, but it didn’t take them long to surround the building. I can’t imagine what would have happened had I walked out there, but apparently they grabbed another guy who was exiting the building, cuffed him and threw him against the police van. I hope he’s ok… I feel horrible.

Thankfully that’s all that happened… no shots fired.

This is a picture that the person who called it in took from his window:

ImageShrinker

(Source)

In related news, a man wearing what appeared to be a black motorcycle helmet is attacked by Luke Skywalker and his buddy Wedge when it's discovered that the man was building a Death Star. The Death Star turned out to be Legos. Mr. Skywalker is later quoted as saying, "Gosh, the Death Star looked so much bigger on the cell phone picture intelligence the Rebel Force received. I haven't been this embarrassed since I found out I was in love with my sister."

Another reason not to live in Canada.

Who ever took the picture is an idiot who has never played with Lego's as you can clearly see the directions on the table under him. You can also see several extra pieces too.

The real problem is he sees no problem with this.
I certainly can’t knock the police for how they responded, I mean the toy certainly looks legit. However, it wasn’t like I was walking around downtown with it. I didn’t actually do anything with it, but someone thru a window saw me assembling it and they called the police. From afar I can see how it would look legit, although I certainly wasn’t waving it around.

I don’t know exactly when the SWAT team was sent in, but it didn’t take them long to surround the building. I can’t imagine what would have happened had I walked out there, but apparently they grabbed another guy who was exiting the building, cuffed him and threw him against the police van. I hope he’s ok… I feel horrible.
[rolleyes]

It looks like a PPS.

That's what I was thinking. It actually does look real enough from the photo, since it's all blurry. As far as the instructions under it goes, I'd say they aren't all that identifiable... it just looks like a picture of a gun with some black things above it. As far as calling swat in for this, ridiculous.

Wow, I'm sometimes wandering around the office hallways with an (unloaded) airsoft Sig P226; this'll make me think before walking in front of windows. :p

Is all private ownership of handguns in Canada illegal?
No; it's sort of like MA, but everyone gets a restricted permit. (unrestricted permits are issued on a basis that makes NYC look like "shall issue"). Unless you're a grandfathered person with grandfathered guns you can't have 25acp handguns or handguns with < 105mm bbl length. Also, the law bans > 10 round mags for handguns (5 for rifles) without a permit which, by policy, is never issued under any circumstances.

I've traveled to Canada, eh? on numerous occasions with handguns via land and the Toronto airport. I never received anything less than polite treatment. It's not uncommon to run into a Customs Canada officer who does not know what the license looks like, or what the procedure is. In one case, the supervisor on duty didn't know either and they couldn't find any memo on the subject in this fat 3 ring binder, so they just waved me in. (This was before the new procedure where you fill out a Canadian registration for the gun upon entry, in addition to getting the handgun permit in advance).

I once caught someone else taking my gun bag by mistake (under the circumstances, I think it really was just that); had to explain that a compensator is not a silencer; and deal with customs officers pointing a red dot 1911 at the other officers in the Toronto airport while yelling out "hey, look at this". Most of the time I've been sent the secondary inspection line so they could verify the gun was unloaded and trigger locked (always good for some strange looks from other in line who seem surprised when customs hands the guns back and waves you through).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom