Man gets sucker punched, pulls out weapons and kills the perp… You Decide…

Maybe it should be.
You can codify when revenge killing should be legal in the same way as we have codified when deadly force in SD is legal. Would need provisions about certainty of guilt, perhaps some indication of the seriousness of the offense that motivates it. If you want to kill someone in retaliation for a sucker punch like that and claim SD, rather, try to get the shot off when a reasonable person would still perceive an imminent threat.

I must be one of the only ones here that doesn't have a problem with what he did.
Everyone is tired of all the violence these scumbags bring to everyday life.
Then people complain the victim went too far.

I've seen way too many videos of the elderly getting beat down and dying from being sucker punched.
F- the perp. they got what he didn't expect and I'm ok with that!

All those thugs being let loose to behave anyway they want with immunity or not even so much a minute in jail makes my blood boil.

Like those that thought Kyle Rittenhouse was guilty.
Hey, they were only going to beat time down a little bit...

I must be one of the only ones here that doesn't have a problem with what he did.
I think you need to reread people’s posts more carefully. More than a few of us have said that we don’t have any sympathy for the puncher but also realize that what the shooter did was unlawful. Legal or illegal is different from right or wrong. There are a lot actions that might be morally right but also illegal.

The potential seriousness of the sucker punch isn't carte blanche afterwards to kill the guy.
Meh, my story would be that I was unable to think clearly after that hit "rang my bell" and I instinctively went for my protection. Completely unable to think clearly.
You don't know what the criminal had in his hands, either. The fist that delivered the punch could have held ...

Maybe it should be.

Maybe, but right now it isn’t.
I think the problem here is more politicians and Judges are unaware that a sucker punch might may well be considered deadly force. I suggest they volunteer as fist test dummies and get back to us with their conclusions.
They need to change this.

Reminds me about this sad story.
All the dikwads posting that a sucker punch is essentially nothing, need to read this! Scumbags that suckerpunch people are cowards, and should be taken to a back ally and have a bullet inserted in their putrid brains!

Agreed. He’s likely going to spend a long time in prison.
that was a murder, cant be more classic than that.
while i can sympathize toward an immediate extermination of scumbags on a spot, no one wants to live in the world where you can expect to be murdered in a cold blood while in the grocery line to the register or in other public places. that is why we have a police no one likes much, and laws that no one loves much neither.
still both are absolutely necessary and mandatory while love is optional.

that was a murder, cant be more classic than that.
while i can sympathize toward an immediate extermination of scumbags on a spot, no one wants to live in the world where you can expect to be murdered in a cold blood while in the grocery line to the register or in other public places. that is why we have a police no one likes much, and laws that no one loves much neither.
still both are absolutely necessary and mandatory while love is optional.
Oh Boo f***ing hoo!

This is why a bare fisted strike to the back of the skull is deadly: Wiki

Amateur sports[edit]​

On June 29, 2014, soccer referee John Bieniewicz was punched in the neck by Baseel Abdul Amir Saad, an upset player in an amateur match he was officiating in Livonia, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. Bieniewicz died two days later of his injuries, and Saad was charged with second-degree murder.[9] Bieniewicz's autopsy showed that the force of the impact on the left side of his neck just below the base of his skull had resulted in a rare injury with twisted and torn arteries around the base of his skull, knocking him out before he hit the ground. [10] In 2015, Saad pled guilty to manslaughter and received a sentence of 8 to 15 years in prison.[11]

no one wants to live in the world where you can expect to be murdered in a cold blood while in the grocery line to the register or in other public places
Is this incident what you would consider "in cold blood"? Seems pretty hot to me.

I always thought "in cold blood" means pre-meditated, planned, and not in the heat of the moment. I could be wrong.

This is why a bare fisted strike to the back of the skull is deadly: Wiki

Amateur sports[edit]​

On June 29, 2014, soccer referee John Bieniewicz was punched in the neck by Baseel Abdul Amir Saad, an upset player in an amateur match he was officiating in Livonia, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. Bieniewicz died two days later of his injuries, and Saad was charged with second-degree murder.[9] Bieniewicz's autopsy showed that the force of the impact on the left side of his neck just below the base of his skull had resulted in a rare injury with twisted and torn arteries around the base of his skull, knocking him out before he hit the ground. [10] In 2015, Saad pled guilty to manslaughter and received a sentence of 8 to 15 years in prison.[11]
We all know that people have been killed by a punch. No one is arguing that.

What I’m arguing about is what the law IS, not what the law should or shouldn’t be.

The legal standard for justified use of deadly force is whether you are in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. Rightly or wrongly, most courts will rule against you if you shoot someone who punches you in the head, with some notable exceptions.

Some of those exceptions - disparity of force. As a near senior citizen, if George St Pierre squared up against me and said he was going to kill me, the court might well find me justified in shooting him. In the Trayvon Martin shooting, Martin had mounted his victim and was smashing the victim’s head onto the concrete sidewalk. The court rightly found the shooter not guilty.

But in most cases (not all, most), you’ll have a hard time in court if you shoot an unarmed man who punched you in the head. I’m not saying that is right or wrong, I’m saying that is what the law is.

Furthermore, for deadly force to be legally justified (note, I said LEGALLY justified, not MORALLY justified), the threat has to be immediate. If the attacker stops and walks away, legally the threat has stopped. If you use deadly force after the threat has stopped you are likely going to be tried and convicted of murder.

We all know that people have been killed by a punch. No one is arguing that.

What I’m arguing about is what the law IS, not what the law should or shouldn’t be.

The legal standard for justified use of deadly force is whether you are in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. Rightly or wrongly, most courts will rule against you if you shoot someone who punches you in the head, with some notable exceptions.

Some of those exceptions - disparity of force. As a near senior citizen, if George St Pierre squared up against me and said he was going to kill me, the court might well find me justified in shooting him. In the Trayvon Martin shooting, Martin had mounted his victim and was smashing the victim’s head onto the concrete sidewalk. The court rightly found the shooter not guilty.

But in most cases (not all, most), you’ll have a hard time in court if you shoot an unarmed man who punched you in the head. I’m not saying that is right or wrong, I’m saying that is what the law is.

Furthermore, for deadly force to be legally justified (note, I said LEGALLY justified, not MORALLY justified), the threat has to be immediate. If the attacker stops and walks away, legally the threat has stopped. If you use deadly force after the threat has stopped you are likely going to be tried and convicted of murder.
I see your point, for sure; but see my post 74

Back
Top Bottom