Man found in garden shed with machine gun and $20K

dixidawg

NES Member
Man found in garden shed with machine gun and $20K

By Julie Manganis , Staff writer
Salem News

View as a multiple pages

BEVERLY - A Beverly man whose gun license was suspended last month after a domestic dispute with his wife was arrested early yesterday after a MAC-10 assault weapon and $20,000 in cash was found hidden in a garden shed at his former home.

John Orlowski, 48, of 15 Dearborn Ave. had been ordered to turn over all of his weapons to police last month, after a judge issued a domestic restraining order.

He is now being held without bail, after pleading not guilty in Salem District Court to charges that include illegal possession of a machine gun, possession of burglarious tools and violating a restraining order.

On Jan. 3, police suspended his gun license and pulled 121 guns from his home - a gun collection so large Orlowski advised them to bring a truck, according to a police report. Among the weapons seized were handguns, rifles, shotguns and an Uzi, many of them improperly stored in large, plastic storage boxes around the house.

But Orlowski apparently did not turn over all of his weapons. When he was arrested later and charged with violating the restraining order, he allegedly told police he'd stashed a .357 handgun in his parents' slow cooker and was carrying a 9 mm Ruger.

And late on Tuesday night, in another alleged violation of the restraining order, Orlowski slipped into his estranged wife's backyard.

Prosecutor Connaught O'Connor said yesterday Orlowski's wife called police after seeing him walking around in the yard with a flashlight.

When police arrived, they found him in a garden shed that had been forced open, O'Connor said. Orlowski told police he was trying to retrieve a bag from the shed - a bag police later discovered contained $20,000 in cash, money Orlowski contends was loaned to him by his father.

After Orlowski was arrested on charges of violating the restraining order and possession of marijuana and lock-picking equipment, his estranged wife called the station to report finding the MAC-10, a machine pistol, in another bag in the shed.

Police went back to the Bridge Street home and confiscated the gun, which Orlowski had allegedly failed to turn over back in January.

Defense lawyer Sierra Rosen argued police can't prove the gun found in the shed was Orlowski's, saying "nothing links him to the gun in this case."

But Judge Richard Mori appeared skeptical, noting Orlowski was prowling in a garden shed late at night in violation of a court order.

"There's no indication he was looking for this gun," Rosen argued, saying Orlowski was simply trying to get the money.

And she argued there was no violence in the incident.

But Mori said he "can't think of any situation where a person would be more in fear" than to find a person wandering around their property late at night.

"You've got to obey court orders," Mori told Orlowski, pointing out this is his third alleged violation of a court order. The judge revoked his bail in the earlier restraining order violation.

When police seized the guns in January, they also found prescription drugs, including Vicodin, inside one gun case.

It also appears Orlowski, who told police he is being treated for depression, had lost count of the number of weapons he owned, initially telling police there were 75 guns.

Orlowski will remain held without bail for at least 60 days. He's due back in court on March 7.

In an unusual move, the divorce lawyer for Orlowski's wife appeared in court yesterday asking the judge to let him, and not the prosecutor, argue the issue of bail. While Mori denied Anthony Adamopoulos's request to argue, he did allow the lawyer to file a motion seeking to have the $20,000 in cash placed in an escrow account, because Orlowski's wife considers the money a marital asset she's entitled to split.

http://www.salemnews.com/punews/local_story_046120948?page=0

He's totally screwed, but I like this guy!

He has balls (I'll give him that much), mixed in with a bit of stupidity (been there... done that). The whole RSO/Lautenberg BS is a joke, but he got caught and now he's f***ed big time (especially in this state).

Prosecutor Connaught O'Connor said yesterday Orlowski's wife called police after seeing him walking around in the yard with a flashlight.

Bad move, Johnny!! I have some night vision I'm trying to sell if you're reading this.

And what's a thread like this without some polka?

pic_about.jpg

Pukaj Jasiu Polka (Johnny's Knocking Polka)

Pukaj Jasiu W okienieczko, Pukaj Jasiu dzwi
Moja mila najmilejsza, Prosze otworz mi

Otworz mila nie badz taka, Mam cos dla ciebie
Piekny sliczne pieszczoneczek, Ozeniemy sie

Johnnie's knocking on the window, Knocking on the door
Say please open up my Honey, Please open up once more

Open Honey don't be like that, Got something for you
Sparkling ring with big white diamond, And my love for you

My question... Who's going to have his collection? The Police will give it to some dealer to sell as consignment...

131? Mabye there's a few deals to be had in there. I mean, we wouldn't want all those guns to go to waste? Would we?

Bad move, Johnny!! I have some night vision I'm trying to sell if you're reading this.

And what's a thread like this without some polka?

pic_about.jpg

Pukaj Jasiu Polka (Johnny's Knocking Polka)

have you been smoking this evening?[rofl]

Well, he's back in the news again.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/21/family.plot.ap/index.html

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- A man tried to hire a hit man to kill his family, including his 7-year-old daughter, even requesting that she be shot in the chest and not the head so there could be an open casket at her funeral, authorities say.

John Orlowski, 49, made a brief appearance in U.S. District Court on Monday on the murder-for-hire charge and was ordered held without bail pending a detention hearing scheduled for Thursday.

surely not defending the guy at all, but...

After Orlowski was arrested on charges of violating the restraining order and possession of marijuana and lock-picking equipment, his estranged wife called the station to report finding the MAC-10, a machine pistol, in another bag in the shed.

Police went back to the Bridge Street home and confiscated the gun, which Orlowski had allegedly failed to turn over back in January.

How can they charge him with possesion on this one?

1 - the PD didn't find it, the wife did... really no credible chain of evidence there.

2 - I though that under a restraining order, the accussed couldn't posses his firearms, not that he was required to turn them over to the PD. Isn't giving them to a friend for safe keeping legal? (obviously not the case here) but still... unless the court demanded he turn them over to the PD...

Again, not defendine the sob... he is a scum bag, just a couple of minor points.

With the "murder for hire" thing on his plate, I'm thinking that a stray MAC-10 here or there is the least of his worries.

No, that's the beauty of the gun laws. They're oh so useful for extracting plea bargains. If he decides to plead not guilty to the murder for hire charge, they drop it and put him away for a full year on the weapons charge. Otherwise, he can plead guilty to the murder for hire charge, they'll drop the weapons charge, and he can be out on work release in 60 days and early release in 6 months, unless Deval grants him clemency earlier. [rolleyes]

Ken

surely not defending the guy at all, but...

How can they charge him with possesion on this one?

1 - the PD didn't find it, the wife did... really no credible chain of evidence there.

2 - I though that under a restraining order, the accussed couldn't posses his firearms, not that he was required to turn them over to the PD. Isn't giving them to a friend for safe keeping legal? (obviously not the case here) but still... unless the court demanded he turn them over to the PD...

Again, not defendine the sob... he is a scum bag, just a couple of minor points.

The service of a 209A DEMANDS (by MGL, with criminal penalties) that the person so served MUST give to the PD:

- ALL KEYS to the home or other common property,

- ALL GUNS/AMMO/MAGS/COMPONENTS, etc.

- Etc.

There is NO OPTION for the PD and NO OPTION for the accused! Thus, yes it is a criminal offense to not give them all up instantly . . . even if you forgot where they all were.

You do NOT have the option to give them to an FFL or a trusted friend, etc. [NOT at the time you are served. You can make arrangements AFTER the PD has confiscated them . . . assuming the PD cares to follow the law, some do and some don't.]

Also something I learned recently (from JonJ I believe):

SAME DEAL if your LTC is suspended/revoked! Everything gets confiscated by law and then you get to fight with the PD to get them transfered (if they are willing to do so).

Yup, this guy seems like "quite a prize!"

Beverly PD doesn't hold the guns. They have a gunshop hold them, and they charge $6 per day per gun. Then, the shop is nice enough to tell you not to worry about the storage fees since they will be happy to auction your guns off to satisfy them after everything is all over on the paperwork they send you.

But, losing his collection is the least of his problems now.

Max penalty in MA for illegal possession of a machine gun is life in prison, although nobody is ever sentenced to that. And, I do agree that making the possession charge stick will be next to impossible in this case unless he has the worst defense attorney on the planet.

It would be nice if Beverly PD dusted it for latent and patent prints, though. That could have at least proven that he did possess it at one time. I don't know if that did dust it, but I kind of doubt it.

I'm wondering if he's looking at 10 years per count of murder for hire, or if it's 10 years total. If it's a total of 10 years, that's pathetically low. He deserves to rot in jail. I'd be willing to bet he'll serve some hard time for conspiring to kill his own 7 year old daughter. Hopefully at least as hard as child molesters serve.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's pretty screwed.

An early post mentions lock picking equipment. So you mean to tell me that is actually illegal?? Whatever for?? Someone needs to point me to the book titled "Idiotic Massachusetts Laws that make all sorts of things illegal that you didn't even know about and you're probably violating right now out of sheer ignorance", so that I can make sure I'm doing everything right in this craphole of a state.

Yes, unless you are a licensed locksmith, it's illegal to possess lock picking equipment.

I hope his lawyer sucks and he gets the max for everything he's done. As far as I'm concerned, conspiring to kill your own daughter should be punishable by being strung up in the town square.

He was nice enough to request that the hitman not shoot his daughter in the face, maybe they'll be nice enough to throw a little party for him in the showers in prison... [devil2] [shocked] [devil2]

Back
Top Bottom